Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Check here if you have all whats' necessary:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ighlight=AODCD
OK, so patch 1.2 will not work without copying the full CD ROM to the hard drive? But once all that is done it will stop exiting spontaneously to the menu?
Jokem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-18, 07:27 AM   #17
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokem View Post
OK, so patch 1.2 will not work without copying the full CD ROM to the hard drive? But once all that is done it will stop exiting spontaneously to the menu?
Following this procedure I have no problems whatsoever, I can play the last game version 1:1 as for an old computer. I currently have it installed and I have no crashes. The procedure works or I wouldn't have published it
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-23, 06:08 AM   #18
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Update>
Old 05-07-23, 04:34 AM   #19
lesrae
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Not getting far on my win 11 setup, immediate crash with the message below. The setup.exe doesn't run at all, even with compatibility set up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hp7bjgrlsi...03300.png?dl=0

Old 05-07-23, 08:35 AM   #20
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Hmm.. ok, not having Windows 11 I am helpless here. I checked my CAOD folder structure, I don't see a win_snd.cpp file in the Sim folder... can you check and see if you have that?
Old 05-07-23, 10:34 AM   #21
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

I'm having the same issue. There's no WIN_SND.CPP file.

I think that putting that file into the game would fix the error, but I don't know where to find it at.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-23, 11:20 AM   #22
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

A file with a cpp extension is for the programming language "C Plus Plus", which insinuates it is part of a Windows DirectX or DirectPlay dll (Dynamic Linked Library) file, such as would be found in a "Microsoft Visual C++ xxxx Redistributable" file from a Windows Update, with the "xxxx" representing a year of release, such as 2008. Do you happen to have DirectX v9.0c installed on your computers?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-23, 11:58 AM   #23
lesrae
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
A file with a cpp extension is for the programming language "C Plus Plus", which insinuates it is part of a Windows DirectX or DirectPlay dll (Dynamic Linked Library) file, such as would be found in a "Microsoft Visual C++ xxxx Redistributable" file from a Windows Update, with the "xxxx" representing a year of release, such as 2008. Do you happen to have DirectX v9.0c installed on your computers?
I'm awful at dealing with that part of the machine but output of dxdiag is linked if that's of use?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvo41fylejqiwhx/DxDiag.txt
Old 05-07-23, 12:35 PM   #24
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

I consulted Wendy:

Quote:

Onkel Neal
Wendy, what is what is WIN_SND.CPP?

Wendy
It seems like you are referring to a source code file, specifically a C++ file, with the name "WIN_SND.CPP". The naming convention suggests that this file could be related to the implementation of sound or audio functionality for a Windows-based application. "WIN" could stand for "Windows," and "SND" might be an abbreviation for "sound."

However, without more context, it's difficult to provide specific information about this particular file, as it could be part of any number of projects or applications. If you can provide more details about the software or project it is a part of, I may be able to give you more information.

Onkel Neal
it is related to Command Aces of the Deep

Wendy
"WIN_SND.CPP" is likely a C++ source code file related to the implementation of sound or audio functionality for the Windows version of "Aces of the Deep." It could contain code that handles sound effects, music, or other audio features specific to the game when running on the Windows operating system. The code in this file might utilize Windows-specific APIs or libraries to interface with the computer's audio hardware, enabling the game to produce sound output.

As the game is quite old, some of the code and libraries used might be outdated or deprecated. If you are looking to run or modify the game on modern systems, you may need to update the code or find alternative libraries that are compatible with newer versions of Windows.
This post seems to be from 2003, so the "\SIM\WIN_SND.CPP Failed to initialize Sound/FX" issue existed long before Window 11

https://www.linuxforen.de/forums/sho...the-Deep-Sound

I checked the SS Tips section,
https://www.subsim.com/tips/tipaod.php

Problem: While playing the game, you get the error message "assert:line 522 in \sim\win_snd.cpp. Can't initialize sound/music."
Solution: Disable all applications that may be running in the background of Windows '95. If the problem persists, check with the manufacturer of the sound card for updated Windows '95 drivers for your sound card. Some sound cards do not have sound drivers that will work with the game, in this case you can usually use the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Pro driver from the Windows 95 CD. To do this you will need to temporarily disable your current driver:

Go to the Control Panel and open the System Icon.
Click on the Device Manager Tab and find the Sound, Video, Game Controllers and double click on this.
Now you should have at least one driver listed for you sound card, you may have several.
Double click on each of these drivers and you will see a screen with information about the drivers.
At the bottom of this screen should be a "Device Usage" section with a check mark in a box for "Original Configuration.". Take the check mark out of this box to temporarily disable this driver.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 05-07-23 at 01:03 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-23, 03:38 PM   #25
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Oooh-oooh... the stank of death... Win95... Almost as old as Onkel Neal, older than me, that's for certain...

in the meantime, try
Command Aces of the Deep on Windows 10 from some user, but especially XenonSurf's last post link... I am still trying to absorb it all.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-23, 10:08 PM   #26
JconradH
Swabby

Downloads: 219

Default Works!

Neil,, works great, thanks!

I tried loading drop my A10- CAOD cdrom, but it failed. Then I copied the folders from the disc to my C:\ drive and set the compatibility as suggested, and viola, it also works! No voice, but I don't care.

Thanks again!

Jeff

QUOTE=Onkel Neal;2448092]Ho-k,

I am trying to get CAOD to run on my Win10 laptop. I have tried selecting properties on the AODCD.exe and setting to Windows 95 compatibility, but I get this error message.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Working on Win10, nice and easy!

Command Aces of the Deep download

If this helps you, then be a buddy and like and subscribe, it really helps.

Good hunting![/QUOTE]
JconradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-23, 07:05 AM   #27
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Awesome, that's great!
Old 07-24-23, 09:40 AM   #28
M.Anton
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1

First of all, thank you for the fantastic job and providing the game through your servers

I followed the mentioned YouTube video, installed Command AotD and it does run like a gem. However, with no sounds or music.

Did I miss something?
M.Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-23, 03:40 PM   #29
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

M.Anton!...on 'silent run' since 2012!??

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-23, 01:53 PM   #30
Pilot_76
Chief

Downloads: 427
Default Loss of soundfx

Sometimes I lose sound fx such as the electric motors and the diesel. After a while they come back. A quick fix is to set the speed again. Anyone having this issue?
Pilot_76 is offline   Reply With Quote