SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-10, 10:25 PM   #436
one_shot
Nub

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

got the game today, and holy crap there are bugs! here's mine, sorry if there are any repeats as I haven't had time to read the whole thread.

When leaving Kiel for the first time, A Polish ship was in the harbor, trying to leave via the canal with the Germans firing at it but never hitting it. I eventually took it out with the deck gun just to stop hearing the gunfire.

Another I had, on patrol off the English coast, I encountered another Polish ship except it was October and according to the map Poland had surrendered. The ship was blue on my map but still reacted as hostile when it spotted me.

Small things next: if you go behind the torpedo officer, in between the four tubes water will get on the camera like if you were standing at the bow of the submarine on the outside.

Water will also get stuck on my camera even though it's out of the water, nothing will get it off.

Last edited by one_shot; 03-07-10 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spacing
one_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 11:17 PM   #437
Capt.Warner
Lieutenant

Downloads: 60

When your surfaced you get CO2 and you hull pressure decreased,WTF?

Capt.Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 12:42 AM   #438
Bort
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 60

Sometimes my XO shouts "Smoke on the Horizon!" for a contact that's more than 30km away when I'm at 40m depth. He does this consistently about every 15 seconds and it drops my TC even when I'm in travel mode. It's simply ridiculous and makes it really difficult to play.

GT Aerospace
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 12:55 AM   #439
Condor69
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 13
Default Going Nowhere.

I've just done a clean install on my system which is running Win7 64-bit.

My problem is non of the hot keys work.

Unable to access any of the menus.

Should I do a re-install.

Cheers.
Condor69
Condor69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 01:47 AM   #440
ubercaptain
Nub

Downloads: 91
Default More bugs relating to fuel and scores

I just finished my first patrol (British Supplies) with a total kill rate of 5 ships at 31,000 tons before I entered Wilhelmhaven. After docking, my score jumped to 8 ships at 52,000 tons and I was still in port ! This was after I chose my next mission, (which was either the blockade or coastal waters scenarios).

I don't know what happened there, it's definitely a bug. I'm thinking it was a failsafe so as to allow me to continue the game). As an added factor, I ran out of fuel but was allowed to travel on the surface until I reached a range where the electric engines could get me to Wilhelmshaven submerged.

Another bug; since I should not have been able to reach base realistically.
ubercaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 01:59 AM   #441
Parkera
Gunner

Downloads: 99

Not a bug as far as I know. What it seems to be doing is adding your tonnage from your tutorial mission as that is counted under total tonnage!
I noticed this when one my 1st mission that leaving port b4 sinking anything that my training mission tonnage was included.
Parkera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 02:12 AM   #442
Nunnother
Nub

Downloads: 3

I wouldn't know if this game is a pile of doo doo because within 5 minutes of starting a campaign my computer freezes and completely shuts down.

I presume my ATI Radeon HD 4850 is overheating, but I don't have this problem with any other games.

I just wish I could play SH5 long enough to discover all these lovely bugs that have annoyed everyone else.

This game is , I'll have to go back to SH4. I wish I could go back to SH3 but I can't get it to start on my computer with Windows Vista 64 bit OS.
Nunnother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 02:49 AM   #443
Kuzz
Swabbie

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnother View Post
I wouldn't know if this game is a pile of doo doo because within 5 minutes of starting a campaign my computer freezes and completely shuts down.

I presume my ATI Radeon HD 4850 is overheating, but I don't have this problem with any other games.

I just wish I could play SH5 long enough to discover all these lovely bugs that have annoyed everyone else.

This game is , I'll have to go back to SH4. I wish I could go back to SH3 but I can't get it to start on my computer with Windows Vista 64 bit OS.
You are not alone. I've heard that the 4850 is having large issues with the game - and they are not heat-related. Especially since you don't have any trouble with other games. Several people with the 4850 have reported problems over at the UBI forums. I have a 1950X and seem to be experiencing the same troubles (Crash and reboot after 5-15 mins ingame, about the time when the second ships spawn in the tutorial). I'm really annoyed that the game is UNPLAYABLE for us with certain ATI cards. A major bug that have to be fixed. Check my previous posts and the Ubi-thread here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...8771080738/p/2
Old 03-08-10, 03:03 AM   #444
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

@ Nunnother, regarding SH3 see here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=105144

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 03:09 AM   #445
flymar
Loader

Downloads: 42

* Rain sometimes falls from clear sky and under the roof (in dock)
* Ships' AI can't handle the shore
* Crew silly moves while talking to them (for example turning aroung)
* Sometimes couldn't get a crew to man the deck gun/flak gun through the WO. Nothing happens, also with F5, F6 keys do not work. Only SPACE while using binoculars.
* I never managed to "return to course" by double click u-boot symbol on map (easy workaround with messing the commands.cfg).
* Bad optimization of foam, esp. rear water "streaks". Everything works smooth but this thing is updating like 5 FPS.
* Sometimes I can't move the periscope. I can hear the sound but I can't hide it.
* Once i dived while was in the periscope compertment and get floaded. Couldn't open door to command section. I had to surface, go to command room and then submerge.
* I think lights (e.g. explosion glows) are still visible through objects.
* Few times I've got a CTD

Above are some bugs that I remember. But what bugs me the most in the game is "easy" targeting system. And I think this three points idea is failing because the periscope view isn't locked on locked objects. Of course there are some minor problems (no compass, running along boat to turn on ability) but they are or will be adressed in the mods).

Darn I wait to see this game with mod like GWX or RFB.
flymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 05:34 AM   #446
briangw
Swabbie

Downloads: 82

Newer guy here. I played SHIV quite a bit.

Please bring back the SHIV targeting. I am in no way a die hard submariner, but missing multiple ships despite having them locked at green arrows is REALLY frustrating

Cannot order Deck Gun crew to man the gun even though they are now fully promoted.

Can't figure out how to manually man the deck gun

Flak gun crew won't man their gun.

Why does the Captain have to go below to dive/go to periscope level?

No offense, but SHIV is waaaay better than this is at the moment.
briangw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 07:10 AM   #447
Turm
Engineer

Downloads: 17

Another bunch of issues here. I am getting a lot of enjoyment out of SH5 - don't get me wrong - but wow, are there endless attempts by the game to spoil the day!

I didn't even fire a torpedo yet (apart from the tutorial), and already have this list...

First batch are definite faults:

1) Torpedo "Autoloading" option not saved - defaults to "on" every time I load a save.
2) Gameplay tip 'objectives' come back every time I load a game. I don't need to see them any more! (The 3 that tell me how to move around, how to scroll the map, and how to use the TC controls)
3) On the nav map, the pop-up clock/watch disappears when reducing time compression from 32 to 16, or when reducing it directly from 32 (or above) down to 1 with the \ key. Very annoying!
4) Watch Officer gains a speech bubble above his head every time he changes position from the bridge to the command room, i.e. every time you dive or surface. I have to ask him about his family every time to make it disappear.
5) Status of clocks inside the boat - please sort them out:
- Radio room: clock works (at least there is one!), but the hour-hand is white/cream and very hard to see!
- Hydrophone room: hour hand works, but no minute hand
- Navigator's station: always shows 2 o'clock
- Conning tower: always shows 12 o'clock
6) When ordering a speed change, engine response is heard instantly, before the command is even repeated by your crew. In SH3 there was a realistic delay before a response occurred. Most noticeable when going to all-stop, or switching from all-stop to another speed.
7) When manning the hydrophone station, an autosave knocks me out of the station. The GUI still remains for the hydrophone (notepad in the top-left etc.), but I am standing in the passageway instead of being sat at the controls.
8) Sometimes cannot right-click to toggle free-look mode, or when in free-look mode, I can't right-click to get out of it! The only fix I have found is to toggle the map on and off with 'M', which will drop me out of free-look.
9) As others have reported, mouse regularly becomes doubly sensitive, and frequency of footstep sounds increases greatly. These two problems always occur together.
10) Tooltips often stop working for a period of time (both the mouse cursor tooltip and the pop-up box in the lower-right corner). No way to find out information about map radio contacts after it happens , or to read about crew abilities. Eventually they start working again (without a reload), but do not know what triggers it.
11) Moon graphic is rotated 180°? When both moon and sun are above the horizon, the light side of the moon faces away from the sun. Not sure if it this is true all year round...
12) As posted above, Watch Officer reports "Smoke on the horizon" when the ship is some 30+ km away.

More spelling/grammar mistakes:

Sub Systems > Radio Room > Hydrophone:
"The hydrophone panel provides the accoustic controls ..." - should be "acoustic".

Sub Systems > Diesel Engine > Starboard/Port Diesel Engine:
"... the SC MK1 was initially build by ..." - should be "built".

Sub Systems > Motor Room > Rudder Transmission:
There are two full stops (periods) at the end of the main sentence (yes I'm being picky now ).

And these are silly things that aren't bugs as such, but ideally should be addressed:

1) Bridge hatch auto-closes in rough seas when boat dips below approx. 6.3m depth (probably the depth at which the game considers the boat 'submerged'). Unfortunately, it can happen as you're climbing down the ladder but still have your 'head' (the camera) above the hatch. You then can't continue down the ladder until you re-open it. You can climb back up, even though the ladder is under the closed hatch, lol.
2) No hydrophone deadspots with the GHG, as in previous games. Guess we have to live without it.
3) Diveplane operators don't appear at the controls until after the boat has submerged. Somehow the dive planes operate by themselves when you commence diving...? Just check the display dials in the command room.
4) Similar to (3) above, the bridge crew stay on the bridge until the last moment when diving, long after you call for a dive and hear & see the hatch close. Every time I worry for their lives! Better they teleport below immediately as in SH3.

And one I think is a bug - freebie bold decoys in 1939:

On my Type VIIa, before patrol, the boat config screen showed that I had no decoys and had no chance to add them yet, which is what I would expect. However, on trying the keyboard command to launch decoys (as shown on the F1 help screen), I managed to deploy about 12 before I ran out! Am I mistaken, and I actually do (or did!) have decoys, or is that another bug? I am in September 1939, first patrol after the tutorial. Surely they shouldn't be available?
Turm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 08:11 AM   #448
Soviet_Warlord
XO

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangw View Post
Why does the Captain have to go below to dive/go to periscope level?
It's quite logical... the game simulates the captain's job... and a sub can't dive while the captain's still on deck... or they wouldn't be able to close the hatches.
Old 03-08-10, 09:38 AM   #449
Cthulhus
Planesman

Downloads: 136
Default Some boat revive?

Hello,

I sink the HMS Nelson on the last patrol and now I can see her again on Scapa Flow harbour...

How can we change that?

Thanks
Old 03-08-10, 09:45 AM   #450
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I think the question is "Why we need to change that?".

Devs said sunken ships don't show up later in the campaign.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote