SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT > UBOAT Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-21, 01:38 PM   #16
Schizo
Seaman

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

I played UBOAT a couple of years ago. It definitely has potential. When I bought the game it still needed a lot of work but it was fun none the less. I'm waiting for the full release before buying again since I have a new account that I'm using. Who knows when that will be though.
Schizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 06:39 PM   #17
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18
Icon14

Well I bought it a couple years ago and decided to give it some time before seriously playing. I can say I've been having a lot of fun getting into it now. There are some annoyances still, but the game is beautiful and fun to play right now.

I think it's definitely going to be the new SHIII.
Old 04-28-21, 06:00 PM   #18
Bloblast
Watch

Downloads: 52

Yes, this is absolutely the new Silent Hunter III. Fantastic graphics, walk around the boat. The crew management is very well designed. Hit TAB and you can click on one of the officers or directly important commands as turn on water pump. The TDC mod is a must have. Sneaking through the defence if a large convoy, hit and run like in the old SH3 days.
Bloblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-21, 02:39 PM   #19
33lima
Planesman

Downloads: 27

Is this the new SH3? It's a matter of taste and there's no point disputing such matters, as the saying goes.

But in my experience, the answer is 'Definitely not' (at least in its admittedly (long-standing) Early Access form). SH3 got justifiably rave reviews from first release and while the mods don't add every conceivable feature, they've made it much better. I can't see UBOAT deserving anything comparable.

Granted it is a different take on the subject. But it's just not for me. In particular, its star feature - the ability to manage crews - is not only still afflicted by a bug which disables it if one of the two available methods of setting priorities is used, it's just a tedious chore to get a satisfactory watch pattern set up. Your boat should have all this squared away long before it passes out from training!

I haven't seen much to change any of the views I posted in the UBOAT feedback forum on Steam after my first few hours play, namely:

1. In patrol, I want to assign 4 specific sailors (kitted with grey leathers, so-called NCO fore & aft caps and binos) to a new 24 hour shift with observation their only task, so they mount a permanent, realistic 4-man bridge watch (which I will reduce to 3 if I find one of the officers/petty officers is permanently on bridge watch). But after creating the new shift, the management dialogue is broken, displaying only the crew tab. [McDewgle has since explained it's just one of the two commands that is broken]
2. UZO pedestal should be central not offset to one side (exceptions on other classes of boat notwithstanding).
3. Flag and mast should either be player-removeable, or removed permanently, as these were taken down when on patrol. [mod now available to take down flag]
4. RDF loop is too thick and should either be player-retractable into its slot, or permanently retracted as it was only extended when in use.
5. Biscay Cross RWR antenna should come down when diving.
6. Bridge watch should default to 1 watch officer + 3 ratings [per Bucheim, I know others say 5 in total], the player should not need to arrange this, it is SOP.
7. Bridge watch should be stood on the bridge, not in the flak platform, with the minimum of moving about.
8. Radio room should be permanently manned by default, the player should not need to arrange this. In fact each watch/shift should have sufficient crew auto-assigned to all necessary stations before undocking, with the player only having to intervene by exception and able to revert. The ability to intervene is one thing; now we have unrealistic micromanagement.
9. Slope to rear of tower, below+behind flak platform/wintergarten, is too raked, should be nearer the vertical; ditto rear walls of bridge [looks more like a Type IX tower].
10. For the missions from about mid-1943 and certainly by 1944, boats should not have a deck gun but should have a two-tier flak platform, with two twin 2 cm on upper platform and either one 3.7 cm or one quad 2 cm on lower platform. Most should also have prominent rectangular bulge to LH rear of bridge, housing retractable Hohentweil radar antenna.
11. Caps - no-one except the commander should have any sort of cap with a white top. And the fore-and-aft cap is not an NCOs cap. NCOs/petty officers should have the option of a peaked, blue-topped cap, similar to that worn by (real) officers but with no braid on the peak.
12. Grey leather jacket (and trousers) should be available in a mid-grey colour (the present grey is too dark).
13. There should be hotkeys for important actions including ordering a crash dive, surface, move to periscope depth. toggle silent running (as per Silent Hunter 3). Even two mouse clicks is a poor substitute.
14. Boats should dive and surface with a pronounced bow up/down angle, not as now, near horizontally.
15. Diving time should be reduced, at least for a crash dive; at present it takes too long to get off the surface.

...and that was before finding that the lame (not nearly SH3 level) torpedo strike and ship damage animations brought the sim to a juddering halt, or learning to hate "Schneller, schneller'' and some other voice clips which sound like they're shouting at you down a well, and the God-view, strategy game-like map, which looks nothing like what I'd expect to see on a real U-boat's map table (unlike the SH3 map).

I do like the ability to dress up crew members, Action Man/GI Joe style, and to move about your boat in first person view, but that's about it for me.

Fair play to those who like it already, but no, not for me, let alone would I rate it in the same league as SH3.

Last edited by 33lima; 05-14-21 at 03:46 PM.
33lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-21, 05:10 AM   #20
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33lima View Post
Is this the new SH3? It's a matter of taste and there's no point disputing such matters, as the saying goes.

But in my experience, the answer is 'Definitely not' (at least in its admittedly (long-standing) Early Access form). SH3 got justifiably rave reviews from first release and while the mods don't add every conceivable feature, they've made it much better. I can't see UBOAT deserving anything comparable.

Granted it is a different take on the subject. But it's just not for me. In particular, its star feature - the ability to manage crews - is not only still afflicted by a bug which disables it if one of the two available methods of setting priorities is used, it's just a tedious chore to get a satisfactory watch pattern set up. Your boat should have all this squared away long before it passes out from training!

I haven't seen much to change any of the views I posted in the UBOAT feedback forum on Steam after my first few hours play, namely:

1. In patrol, I want to assign 4 specific sailors (kitted with grey leathers, so-called NCO fore & aft caps and binos) to a new 24 hour shift with observation their only task, so they mount a permanent, realistic 4-man bridge watch (which I will reduce to 3 if I find one of the officers/petty officers is permanently on bridge watch). But after creating the new shift, the management dialogue is broken, displaying only the crew tab. [McDewgle has since explained it's just one of the two commands that is broken]
2. UZO pedestal should be central not offset to one side (exceptions on other classes of boat notwithstanding).
3. Flag and mast should either be player-removeable, or removed permanently, as these were taken down when on patrol. [mod now available to take down flag]
4. RDF loop is too thick and should either be player-retractable into its slot, or permanently retracted as it was only extended when in use.
5. Biscay Cross RWR antenna should come down when diving.
6. Bridge watch should default to 1 watch officer + 3 ratings [per Bucheim, I know others say 5 in total], the player should not need to arrange this, it is SOP.
7. Bridge watch should be stood on the bridge, not in the flak platform, with the minimum of moving about.
8. Radio room should be permanently manned by default, the player should not need to arrange this. In fact each watch/shift should have sufficient crew auto-assigned to all necessary stations before undocking, with the player only having to intervene by exception and able to revert. The ability to intervene is one thing; now we have unrealistic micromanagement.
9. Slope to rear of tower, below+behind flak platform/wintergarten, is too raked, should be nearer the vertical; ditto rear walls of bridge [looks more like a Type IX tower].
10. For the missions from about mid-1943 and certainly by 1944, boats should not have a deck gun but should have a two-tier flak platform, with two twin 2 cm on upper platform and either one 3.7 cm or one quad 2 cm on lower platform. Most should also have prominent rectangular bulge to LH rear of bridge, housing retractable Hohentweil radar antenna.
11. Caps - no-one except the commander should have any sort of cap with a white top. And the fore-and-aft cap is not an NCOs cap. NCOs/petty officers should have the option of a peaked, blue-topped cap, similar to that worn by (real) officers but with no braid on the peak.
12. Grey leather jacket (and trousers) should be available in a mid-grey colour (the present grey is too dark).
13. There should be hotkeys for important actions including ordering a crash dive, surface, move to periscope depth. toggle silent running (as per Silent Hunter 3). Even two mouse clicks is a poor substitute.
14. Boats should dive and surface with a pronounced bow up/down angle, not as now, near horizontally.
15. Diving time should be reduced, at least for a crash dive; at present it takes too long to get off the surface.

...and that was before finding that the lame (not nearly SH3 level) torpedo strike and ship damage animations brought the sim to a juddering halt, or learning to hate "Schneller, schneller'' and some other voice clips which sound like they're shouting at you down a well, and the God-view, strategy game-like map, which looks nothing like what I'd expect to see on a real U-boat's map table (unlike the SH3 map).

I do like the ability to dress up crew members, Action Man/GI Joe style, and to move about your boat in first person view, but that's about it for me.

Fair play to those who like it already, but no, not for me, let alone would I rate it in the same league as SH3.
Flag mast is player removable now without any mods. But I fully agree with all your points. I hope that devs will fix it. In upcoming b129 patch they are reworking the map and gods view.

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-21, 02:47 PM   #21
Otto Fuhrmann
Helmsman

Downloads: 57

Visually it is beautiful, and there are some great aspects to the game, but it doesn't have the same draw and "feeling" that SH3 has for me, but UBOAT is getting better with each update, and the mods defintiely help. I have had some great patrols in UBOAT and I do feel that I am warming to it the more I play it without comparing it to SH3.
Otto Fuhrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-21, 01:37 PM   #22
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

It’s better. First person play is fantastic!
Old 05-26-21, 09:12 AM   #23
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

With all it's glaring flaws even when modded let alone stock, I'm not sure SH3 is much of a benchmark.
Old 05-26-21, 05:47 PM   #24
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
With all its glaring flaws even when modded let alone stock, I'm not sure SH3 is much of a benchmark.
SH3 is outdated. With mods, you now can have maintenance schedules, equipment malfunctions simulating equipment wear and tear, and you have characters that don't stand there, blowing the realism; I agree it has its problems, and a big update is on the horizon, but Uboat is the next step.
Old 05-31-21, 11:09 AM   #25
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

if u-boat is the next step then it fell on its face it don't hold a candle to sh5 with TWoS it is sims on a u-boat to me it is like going too a denist getting all your teeth pull out without a shot i still have it in my steam games but going take major and i mean major work before i ever install it again
Old 06-01-21, 06:19 PM   #26
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
if u-boat is the next step then it fell on its face it don't hold a candle to sh5 with TWoS it is sims on a u-boat to me it is like going too a denist getting all your teeth pull out without a shot i still have it in my steam games but going take major and i mean major work before i ever install it again
The update was released at 9:00 p.m. today B129 uboat to say the least it's a disaster ... once again waiting time .... for so little ... submarine warfare has no luck ... I am counting on "Wolfpack" and "Crush Deph" which seems to me to be a good start but let's wait once again ... all this waiting !!! the update is riddled with problems the water has become grass the kinematics bug the non-functional side view ... I'm on the way ... and the best ... besides, I've all stopped it so much that pissed me off !!! ! moreover my version was moderated in b128 and it worked rather not badly .. is well now all is in the bag ... I want to specify that my version was installed without mods or old saved ... I would no longer support this genre of projects! because when I see some Devs playing "Warthunder" and keeping the players who trust them and who we invest in wait ... every week with a new excuse ... we are a small team there is covite ... etc .. .me I say to myself that he does not care ... luckily that all are not like that and keep the players who trust them and who we invest in wait ... every week with a new excuse ... we are a small team there is the covite ... etc ... I tell myself that he does not care. .. fortunately not all are like that there are enough firecrackers wet
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 12:22 AM   #27
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
The update was released at 9:00 p.m. today B129 uboat to say the least it's a disaster ...
with respect, i must disagree.

it is far from a "disaster" as you put it. there have been 4 beta patches since your comment... yet you dont come here to praise the dev team's promptess on squashing bugs.

Once the player figures out the interface and options... the gameplay is very similar to SHIII W/ GWX which is, what the OP was discussing.
Old 06-09-21, 05:10 PM   #28
Sirrvs
Loader

Downloads: 38

In case any of you want to pick it up at a discount, it's 50% off over at GOG.com. I'm going to try it out myself tonight for the firstime.
Sirrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-21, 09:19 AM   #29
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
with respect, i must disagree.

it is far from a "disaster" as you put it. there have been 4 beta patches since your comment... yet you dont come here to praise the dev team's promptess on squashing bugs.

Once the player figures out the interface and options... the gameplay is very similar to SHIII W/ GWX which is, what the OP was discussing.
hello your disagreement is quite honest ... each way midi at his door
fortunately there have been fixes since because it prevented me from playing .. (I supported this project from the beginning) I do not pay for nothing ...
let's talk about the fixes
all the problem of cinematics no door to the ship ... voila holes .. the navigation of the building really weird .. the uzo on the deck its size is riddicule ... the nose of the ship is not at all compliant. ..NPCs don't stop doing anything !!! it even prevents you from moving around in the building ... translations still not finished .. navigation in the building is not immersive .. it is rigid .. no camera movement ... the diving bars do not work like it is ... the sound is really anything ... a sound of freezer for the gyrocompass .. here I stop ... because there are so many things still .. some of the problems cited are not new. .is not correct
"But you don't come here to praise the development team's readiness to fix bugs."
I'm not here to do their job ... a good hearer, good receiver! moreover it does not deserve it given the communication that there was before the update .. some made me laugh a lot .. on steam I remember their sentence very well I quote:
we are happy because we are where we wanted to be ..
once again i would have liked to have positive reviews..but the .. i can't. anyway it is the modders who will do a better job as from ab ... 2024 all will be good but by then there will be better ones .. 'Wolfpack CrushDeph) ... is this one will be forgotten or played by pationner ..

"Once the player understands the interface and options ... the gameplay is very similar to SHIII W / GWX, that's what the OP was talking about."

no this game is far from having the same immersion .. is not built in the same way
good I wish you a pleasant moment with this game kindly K.M_U669

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 06-13-21 at 05:51 PM.
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-21, 06:24 AM   #30
KleineUboot
Seaman

Downloads: 6

Best subsim as of today.
KleineUboot is offline   Reply With Quote