SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-08, 05:28 PM   #16
Grayson02sept1980
中国水兵

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

-deleted due to stupidity-

Grayson02sept1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 10:09 PM   #17
CRM114
Seaman

Downloads: 11

Wow, am I impressed. I installed this after I got home from work; it took me about 30 minutes to get the installation right, but once I got it working it added a whole new dimension to the game.

Thanks very much for this mod.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 10:14 PM   #18
Tomcattwo
Loader

Downloads: 2

CRM114 said:
Quote:
Wow, am I impressed. I installed this after I got home from work; it took me about 30 minutes to get the installation right, but once I got it working it added a whole new dimension to the game.

Thanks very much for this mod.
Did you have to install SAPI 5.1 or just SH3Speech? I tried to make the installation as simple as possible with the one-click installer. What parts did you ahve problems with in the install?
R/
TC2
Tomcattwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 11:03 PM   #19
CRM114
Seaman

Tom, I did have to install SAPI 5.1. My biggest problem was getting the mod to work with SH3 Commander; something that I never actually figured out. When I launched the game using the default exe instead of SH3 Commander, it worked fine so I just stuck with that.
Old 03-05-08, 11:18 PM   #20
Tomcattwo
Loader

CRM114 said:
Quote:
Tom, I did have to install SAPI 5.1. My biggest problem was getting the mod to work with SH3 Commander; something that I never actually figured out. When I launched the game using the default exe instead of SH3 Commander, it worked fine so I just stuck with that.
That's interesting because SH3Speech does absolutely nothing to SH3Commander. I use SH3Commander 2.7 myself with both GWX2&OLC GUI and with Stock SH3, and never had a problem. Wonder if that has something to do with the SAPI install. What symptoms were you seeing when using SH3 Commander?
R/
TC2
Old 03-06-08, 07:50 AM   #21
CRM114
Seaman

When I launched the game via SH3 Commander, the game just wouldn't acknowledge or respond to verbal orders. I was just talking to myself.

This was a fairly unscientific enquiry as I tried and failed just 3 times with SH3 Commander and the fourth time I just launched sh3.exe and it worked; I'll fully admit it may have been some other factor and not SH3 Commander.
Old 03-06-08, 08:24 AM   #22
Tomcattwo
Loader

CRM114 said:
Quote:
When I launched the game via SH3 Commander, the game just wouldn't acknowledge or respond to verbal orders. I was just talking to myself.

This was a fairly unscientific enquiry as I tried and failed just 3 times with SH3 Commander and the fourth time I just launched sh3.exe and it worked; I'll fully admit it may have been some other factor and not SH3 Commander.
OK that's good to know. If SH3Commander launched the game properly, that's expected. Glad to see you worked out the problem. If you were able to pass orders into the game correctly the last time, then SH3Speech was working properly. Try again using SH3Commander. After you have properly installed SH3Speech (including installing SH3Speech_GWX or SH3Speech_OLC via JSGME and adjusted your SH3Speech_GWX2.bat or SH3Speech_OLC.bat file for your SH3 screen resolution), the sequence is:

a) Start SH3Speech by doubleclicking on the desktop icon for the version you are using (GWX_SH3Speech or OLC_SH3Speech). The SH3Speech feedback box should open, showing you SH3Speech's starting parameters and that it loaded properly. Leave this box open.

b) Start SH3 as you normally would, using SH3Commander.

c) When your scenario starts, order "I have ____ tubes" where ____ is the number of tubes on the boat you are commanding, followed by "Reset Tubes". If you are playing either stock SH3 or GWX2, order "Reset Dials" (You don't need this last order if you are playing with OLC's GUI"

d) Go play. Command your crew. Sink ships. Have fun.

Took me a lot longer to explain this than it actually does to do it

R/
TC2
Old 03-06-08, 10:44 AM   #23
CRM114
Seaman

I'll give it another shot tonight and report my results.
Old 03-06-08, 11:56 AM   #24
Umfuld
Captain

Downloads: 3

Good lord, this place never fails to amaze me. Haven't played for some time but may need to go out for a steam just to try this one out.

Wow.

Thanks
Umfuld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 12:08 PM   #25
Jaeger
Chief

Downloads: 28

nice mod, thanks for that. i have some probs using it. i installed it correctly, (sh3 stock, 1.4b) by activating the mod in jsgme and running the correct bat file (sh3speech_GWX2.bat). i can go to the stations, but i cant mark a target by voice command. i saw your readme, the order "target bearing mark" should lock the target. (btw: the order "lock" brings me to the map all the time). the problem is: nothing happened. i controlled the running batch file, it recognizes the order "target bearing mark" correctly. it tries to press ctrl-L, which is correctly written in the commands_en.cfg. but nothing happens! i cant lock the target. what i am doing wrong?
Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 02:15 PM   #26
Tomcattwo
Loader

Default Reply

Jaeger said:
Quote:
nice mod, thanks for that. i have some probs using it. i installed it correctly, (sh3 stock, 1.4b) by activating the mod in jsgme and running the correct bat file (sh3speech_GWX2.bat). i can go to the stations, but i cant mark a target by voice command. i saw your readme, the order "target bearing mark" should lock the target. (btw: the order "lock" brings me to the map all the time). the problem is: nothing happened. i controlled the running batch file, it recognizes the order "target bearing mark" correctly. it tries to press ctrl-L, which is correctly written in the commands_en.cfg. but nothing happens! i cant lock the target. what i am doing wrong?
Re: Target bearing mark problem: Command worked OK in beta test. Command is going out correctly ("i controlled the running batch file, it recognizes the order "target bearing mark" correctly."). commands_en.cfg has the right keystroke mapped ("it tries to press ctrl-L, which is correctly written in the commands_en.cfg"). Is it possible target was at long range? Sometimes SH3 doesn't like to keep a target locked which is a ways off. I'll experiment tonight when I get home. Sounds like SH3Speech was doing what it was supposed to do.

Re: "lock" -> map. This may be an issue of either your pronunciation, or your mic (is it a good quality mic?) or the sensitivity of your mic (there are tips in the readme.htm in the SH3Speech\docs folder on how to set up your mic sensitivity in SAPI 5.1). If the mic sensitivity is too high, the input sound can be distorted and cause problems with SAPI recognition. Check your mic sensitivity in the SAPI 5.1 aplet (If I recall properly, it's under Control Panel\Speech Recognition or something close)
Workaround: use the command "Lock target" which is an alternate order, and which shouldn't be confused by the SAPI with "map" Opposite command is "Unlock target" They'll work In fact if I recall correctly, I use "Lock target" and "Unlock target" myself.

R/
TC2
Old 03-06-08, 03:41 PM   #27
Jaeger
Chief

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcattwo
Jaeger said:
Quote:
Re: Target bearing mark problem: Command worked OK in beta test. Command is going out correctly ("i controlled the running batch file, it recognizes the order "target bearing mark" correctly."). commands_en.cfg has the right keystroke mapped ("it tries to press ctrl-L, which is correctly written in the commands_en.cfg"). Is it possible target was at long range? Sometimes SH3 doesn't like to keep a target locked which is a ways off. I'll experiment tonight when I get home. Sounds like SH3Speech was doing what it was supposed to do.

Re: "lock" -> map. This may be an issue of either your pronunciation, or your mic (is it a good quality mic?) or the sensitivity of your mic (there are tips in the readme.htm in the SH3Speech\docs folder on how to set up your mic sensitivity in SAPI 5.1). If the mic sensitivity is too high, the input sound can be distorted and cause problems with SAPI recognition. Check your mic sensitivity in the SAPI 5.1 aplet (If I recall properly, it's under Control Panel\Speech Recognition or something close)
Workaround: use the command "Lock target" which is an alternate order, and which shouldn't be confused by the SAPI with "map" Opposite command is "Unlock target" They'll work In fact if I recall correctly, I use "Lock target" and "Unlock target" myself.

R/
TC2
thanks for your help. i solved the problem; as you easily can mention, i am not a native speaker (german). because of this, my game was set to german and used the german commands_de.cfg. now i changed the ingame language to english, so it takes the commands_en.cfg now, which is jsgme included by your mod. result: locking a target works fine now. the problem between map <-> lock still exists. perhaps it is my pronouciation... on the other hand: how it is possible to wrongly pronounce the word "lock" :hmm: ("lock target" also brings me to the nav map...)
Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 04:05 PM   #28
Tomcattwo
Loader

Jaeger said:
Quote:
thanks for your help. i solved the problem; as you easily can mention, i am not a native speaker (german). because of this, my game was set to german and used the german commands_de.cfg. now i changed the ingame language to english, so it takes the commands_en.cfg now, which is jsgme included by your mod. result: locking a target works fine now. the problem between map <-> lock still exists. perhaps it is my pronouciation... on the other hand: how it is possible to wrongly pronounce the word "lock" :hmm: ("lock target" also brings me to the nav map...)
Quote:
thanks for your help. i solved the problem;
Woo Hoo! No problem - now go sink ships, Herr kaleun Jaeger!

Quote:
as you easily can mention, i am not a native speaker (german). because of this, my game was set to german and used the german commands_de.cfg. now i changed the ingame language to english, so it takes the commands_en.cfg now, which is jsgme included by your mod. result: locking a target works fine now.
Excellent! As YOU can easily see from my German commands, Ich spreche nicht Deutsch naturlich! I am NOT a native-speaking German :p

Any feedback on more correct commands in German would be appreciated for the next update to SH3 speech. For instance, next update I will use "Funkraum" and "Saunraum" for Radio and Sonar (instead of Funk Zimmer and Saun Zimmer), and maybe add "Stand Sehrorh" in addition to "Angriff Sehrohr" for #1 scope (Stand Sehrohr was actually the attack scope used in most if not all VII's and IX's, along with the NLSR - Nacht Luftzeil Sehrohr - observation scope. Angriff Sehrohr was a different type of attack scope, somewhat smaller than Stand Sehrohr, used in the XXIII and some other smaller subs, according to my source which I just read last night). Are there other commands that are more historically and colloquially correct in German? If so, post em here or PM me and I'll change/include in the next update.

Quote:
the problem between map <-> lock still exists. perhaps it is my pronouciation... on the other hand: how it is possible to wrongly pronounce the word "lock" :hmm: ("lock target" also brings me to the nav map...)
See previous post. You may need to tweak your microphone sensitivity and/or train the SAPI some more. The more you use it, the bettet it gets at understanding what you said. Or you could add a command of your choosing (for instance, just add the phonetic German pronunciation for "Lock" or "Lock Target" as a command in the ...SH3Speech\csv files\SH3_GWX\voice_commands.csv - the SH3FAQ explains how to do that. - Then you could give the command in German )

R/
TC2
Old 03-06-08, 06:22 PM   #29
minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1
Default lock

In my experience, it is very tricky to get solid recognition on single-syllable words like "lock" or "zoom" or "deck" especially if they involve a harsh staticy "ck" sound. This is probably because the speech recognizer is designed to work well with phrases, sentences, and optimized for natural language as if you are dictating into a word processor. SAPI is also designed for low quality PC mics and aggressively filters out what it considers noise. You can adjust this stuff via Control Panel but you either get accurate but rarer recognition (you repeat commands often), or get frequent but inaccurate recognition where it's making it's best guess and making mistakes. The sliders in Control Panel help this a bit and have to be very carefully tuned for each setup.

It is more likely to understand "lock the target" versus "lock target" and both of those are much better than "lock" simply because it is multiple words that are spoken in sequence, and it looks at the entire phrase as a group entity and analyzes how english speakers tend to chain words together to assist recognition. The more you say, the more likely it is to get it right.

I also noticed that random room noise, noise from the game (5.1 surround sound here LOL) and keyboard clicks would often result in "lock" or "zoom" being falsely detected. I found that I really couldn't get decent recognition with these until I bought a very high quality mic and spent a lot of time tuning it. I ended up changing a lot of phrases so that they would be 1.) Sufficiently different from all other phrases and 2.) Sufficiently complex to help recognition without being overly wordy. It's an art, for sure.

The most important things are to 1.) Practice and establish your speaking style as it will be used in-game, 2.) Adjust the mic volumes via the speech control panel so they are perfect for your style/mic distance/room noise/etc, 3.) Then go through as many of the speech training wizards as you can, then 4.) Adjust the sliders in speech control panel to fine tune as room conditions, mic distance, and laryngitis dictate.
Old 03-06-08, 08:22 PM   #30
Tomcattwo
Loader

Default Yep...

What Minsc said...he is the guru of SHSpeech
R/
TC2