SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-22, 02:13 PM   #30
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
In SH4, you dive while at 1x TC so that you can hear the voice prompt of "Passing thermal layer", and then make a note of that. Take the boat 50-60 feet (17-19m) below that, and your shears should be below the layer also. Depending upon how a mod is set, you might be next to "invisible" below it, or barely have any help from it at all. I do not remember there being a voice prompt for that in SH3 in all the years I've played it... I don't know if it's even modeled in the game... However, in the original Silent Hunter game from SSI / Aegis, you had a "bathythermograph", a gauge that was mounted on the sub's hull sometime mid-43, and read the temperature of the water - or simulated it did anyway... You had to watch the needle move to find the thermocline layer, which varied in both depth and intensity as you moved, as in real life... so what happened with that functionality in the game from SH1 to SH2 and beyond is anybody's guess... lol - there is a formula online to estimate it by season and water depth, but I cannot find it now, and it most likely was not available to Kaleun's in the 40's anyway...

Thanks! Yes, I don't think this is modeled in Sh3 ... I haven't noticed it yet, anyways ...