SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-24-23, 08:10 PM   #16
Oubaas
Frogman

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0

I just picked up SE2 Remastered, SE3, and SE5 on sale on Steam The series just went on sale today.

I also HATE third-person games, but with the Sniper Elite series, all the actual sniping is first person, through the scope. And you won't have to walk very far in third person before you spot your next target. So it's probably the least offensive third-person title that I've ever played.

Sniper: Ghost Warrior Contracts 2, as noted above, is very enjoyable as well. But that's the only title in that series that I know. Maybe someone else can comment on the rest of that series.

Anyway, as of the time of this post, the entire Sniper Elite series is on sale on Steam with major discounts. So if you want to try it, now is the time. I love SE4, the one set in Italy, and the ones that I just bought get excellent reviews.

The original is a bit long in the tooth and has that blocky, old game look, so I passed. But SE2 Remastered, SE3, SE4, and of course, the latest, SE5, all look good.

So now I have Italy, Germany, France, and North Africa covered. Time for some X-Ray head shots, LOL!

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-23, 09:23 PM   #17
Oubaas
Frogman

SE2 Remastered and SE3 are just as much fun as SE4. Downloading SE5 now, but I fully expect it to be as good or better than the rest of the series.

If you want to try the series, you can get SE3 for $2.99 USD right now, and add the DLC literally for pennies if you want it. That's a bargain. And the whole series is cheap right now if you like it.
Old 07-28-23, 06:02 AM   #18
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I try it. Just got SE5 for 16 Euros and could get SE4 for 5 Euros. Further back I will not go, 4 is from 2017.
Old 07-28-23, 07:13 AM   #19
Oubaas
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I try it. Just got SE5 for 16 Euros and could get SE4 for 5 Euros. Further back I will not go, 4 is from 2017.
Well, if it turns out that you like them and want more, SE2 Remastered is from 13 May 2019, and it seems fine. SE3 is from 27 June 2013, but looks surprisingly good and plays well for its age. The original Sniper Elite is still available on Steam, but it looks like the dog's dinner and got mixed reviews. Unless they were to remaster it, I'll pass. But SE4 and SE5 will keep you busy for ages.

The games combine stealth, such as titles like, "Thief II" and, "Dishonored", with scalable marksmanship ranging from easy settings with no ballistics, to authentic mode with windage, bullet drop, no aim point assist, the works. All in very well rendered environments. There's a lot of pretty, believable scenery for Italy, France, Germany, and North Africa.

You start out as an American working for the British Special Operations Executive (SOE) early in the war, and eventually move over to the American Office of Strategic Services (OSS).

Rebellion Developments has some other, similar titles, including a zombie shooter much like Sniper Elite, and another one set in Egypt in the 1930s. I tend to go for more real world, less fantasy environments, so I think I'll be content with the Sniper Elite series. But those others are likely to be good games as well, for those so inclined.

Let us know how you like the new games, Skybird!

Old 07-28-23, 04:11 PM   #20
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

SE3 and SE4 are both good games. I kinda like SE3 a bit more.
Old 07-29-23, 10:26 AM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

I underestimated how much I dislike needing to play FPS from third person perspective. And the camera also often did not work optimally, giving me a disadvantage. This is not for me. Refunded.
Old 07-30-23, 10:02 PM   #22
Oubaas
Frogman

Quote:
I underestimated how much I dislike needing to play FPS from third person perspective. And the camera also often did not work optimally, giving me a disadvantage. This is not for me. Refunded.
Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it, Skybird. But I understand completely. I think I have one third-person title besides the Sniper Elite series, that being The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which was also good enough to overcome my aversion to third-person perspective. But in general, I hate third-person.

As for first-person shooters, besides Easy Red 2, which you recommended to me, and The Hunter, which I know you also play, I can recommend...

Ground Branch
Trepang2
Six Days In Fallujah (presently playable single player, but more co-op, with AI bots and better single player features coming soon)

And...

Verdun
Tannenberg
Isonzo

Those three are great, with beautiful weapons modeling especially. Quite historically accurate. Although intended for multiplayer it's easy to play single player and the bots are fairly mean. Isonzo is the newest, and if you have all three, you can play them all through the improved interface, making it even easier to play single player for all three titles.

Old 08-01-23, 05:45 AM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

Fallujah and Ground Branch are on my radar screen, too. I wait. Both titles I red abotu , and it was stressed that SP currently is not ideal. Might chnage woth full or later relases, thats why I have not dropped them so far.

Easy Red 2 had a Normandy DLC recently, I occasionaly played a mission from it, it looks very good.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-01-23 at 05:54 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-23, 06:43 AM   #24
Oubaas
Frogman

Quote:
Fallujah and Ground Branch are on my radar screen, too. I wait. Both titles I red abotu , and it was stressed that SP currently is not ideal. Might chnage woth full or later relases, thats why I have not dropped them so far.

Easy Red 2 had a Normandy DLC recently, I occasionaly played a mission from it, it looks very good.
Yes! I'm going to grab that Easy Red 2 Normandy DLC! I only discovered that it existed a couple of days ago.

One more first person shooter that might interest you is, "Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2". I have it, and so far it's very fun, though I'm not that far into it. It's first-person, very modern sniping, with a lot of fancy technology that we didn't have back in my days in uniform. All my stuff is in museums now, LOL!

Ground Branch is quite fun in single player, but Six Days In Fallujah is very difficult in single player at present because you have to go it alone. But AI bots are coming.

Old 08-02-23, 04:33 PM   #25
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

It is too bad that the player is not given the choice between 1st person and 3rd person.

If the camera and movement that bothers you, you can adjust the field of view which may make it better but it does not allow you to restrict the field of view down to 1st person.
Old 08-02-23, 09:46 PM   #26
Oubaas
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
It is too bad that the player is not given the choice between 1st person and 3rd person.

If the camera and movement that bothers you, you can adjust the field of view which may make it better but it does not allow you to restrict the field of view down to 1st person.
Agreed, that would be the ideal solution. A hot key to switch from first-person to third-person and vice-versa should be standard for such games.