Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-22-07, 08:22 PM   #1
Frostyvegi
A-ganger

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Codename: Iceman - Subsim or not?

I was just browsing through some threads which discussed some new and old and possible future subsims (or sub action games or whatever's your fancy), and I remembered my first submarine gaming experience.

Going back to 1991 my mum scored a IBM PS-2 Model 50 PC.. the benchmark in personal computing for 1989.. (with it's 64kb ram, 20meg hard drive and 8khz processor). My birthday rocks around and she decides to take me to the local K-Mart so I can buy my very first PC game (we previously had an older PC, but I never actually bought any games.. they all were already loaded on the computer).

The Hunt for Red October had just been released at the movies and I fell in love with the concept of submarine warfare almost instantly. I found out that a game had just been released for the PC, and it was that which I was going to buy. On getting to the store and seeing THFRO on the computer at the store, I was less than impressed. However, there was a adventure game sitting on the counter, also involving the use of a submarine at some stage, called Codename: Iceman from the developers of another one of my favorite game series, Police Quest, being Sierra.

Long story short.. this was my first ever game that involved the use of a submarine.. just wondering if anyone else had played it?

Related wiki article here

(I've been wanting to find a copy of it for the longest of time and play it again. I was never able to finish it originally due to a bug which would cause the game to loop constantly while I was stuck under the artic ice.. sigh)
Frostyvegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 09:04 AM   #2
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54

Your post caught my eye and since Codename: Iceman was released for the Amiga I decided to try and run it on an Amiga emulator and it worked. I must admit that I only tried it out for a couple of minutes not getting past the beach scene in Taihiti, but I may return to it later.

Nemo

Sir John Slessor GCB, DSO, MC, DL
AOC-in-C Coastal Command RAF
Old 10-11-07, 12:34 AM   #3
Frostyvegi
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo
Your post caught my eye and since Codename: Iceman was released for the Amiga I decided to try and run it on an Amiga emulator and it worked. I must admit that I only tried it out for a couple of minutes not getting past the beach scene in Taihiti, but I may return to it later.

Nemo
Oh really? I'll have to try and find it again then.

If you need and pointers on what to do.. send me a PM.. even though it's been 15 years since I last played it.. I still remember exactly what to do.. :rotfl: damn that game had me addicted!
Frostyvegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-07, 07:53 AM   #4
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostyvegi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo

Nemo
Oh really? I'll have to try and find it again then.

If you need and pointers on what to do.. send me a PM.. even though it's been 15 years since I last played it.. I still remember exactly what to do.. :rotfl: damn that game had me addicted!
Thanks Frostyvegi I might do that. Yesterday I managed to find the manual for it which gives some useful pointers. I use WinUAE as the emulator to run old Amiga games and it does an excellent job. It is freely available for download and is relatively easy to use, if you want to relive your memories of Codename: Iceman. And you never know the Amiga version might not have that bug you spoke about.

Nemo

Sir John Slessor GCB, DSO, MC, DL
AOC-in-C Coastal Command RAF
Old 11-08-07, 02:06 AM   #5
Captain Vlad
Seasoned Skipper

Man, I remember that game. Save frequently, they didn't let you go back and get stuff you missed back in the day.
Old 12-04-07, 01:44 PM   #6
Captain Strangelove
Mate

Downloads: 10

I just noticed that besides the Kings Quest series Codename Iceman was the only Sierra game I have never played. Thanks for bringing that up!

I am not sure, if Codename Iceman is really abandonware, but here is a useful link (2.2MB!):
http://www.abandonware-paradise.org/...ceman-492.html
Telecharger is french for download. I am so proud that I figured that out!

I am trying it myself right now. The virus scanner didn't find anything unusual.

Cheers

Kai
Captain Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 08:11 AM   #7
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Never heard of it. Any photos?