SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-02-23, 04:00 AM   #31
Schizo
Seaman

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Whacko View Post
UBOAT is becoming the game I wished SH5 was and all the other SH games could have been. For the first time in my four years of playing SH5, SH4, and SH3; I uninstalled the games to focus on UBOAT.

Also, I can't wait to see how the ports will get revamped in further versions.
i feel very much the same. i just got back into UBOAT from SH4 and after some time i uninstalled SH4. i will still play SH4 in the future but UBOAT has certainly progressed well over time.
Schizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-23, 01:48 AM   #32
TheNolan
Seaman

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibbyland View Post
I'm liking UBoat quite a lot. It does so many things I wished SH5 would but then in other areas I find myself wanting to go back to SH5 Wolves of Steel.

Like the above post said. The ability to inspect neutral shipping and the mission variety is really cool. I like the interaction with the crew and managing provisioning of the boat. I like that there's more to do on patrols than head to a point, submerge, check hydro then surface and repeat.

In saying that, I find Uboat a bit too easy and somehow less immersive than SH5 Wolves of Steel.

In WoS, I really felt like I was on the Uboat. The world felt much more alive with so many different types of vessels, and despite it being a much older game, I prefer the graphics and sounds of SH5 (although that could be nostalgia). I don't know what it is that WoS has that makes it more immersive for me. Maybe it's just the effort it takes to locate, stalk and target a convoy. The enigma part of WoS is awesome too.

However, as good as WoS is, it relies on ubisoft and ubisoft's stuff is so unreliable. Uboat is just so much more straightforward to run and when I play it I don't constantly worry about getting too close to an AI spawn point and breaking my game or worrying about the campaign not progressing. I miss WoS a lot but I'm resisting the urge to reinstall it and am embracing Uboat as my new go to.

Pretty much exactly how I feel about the game and SH5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
seeing that most of my attacks are on the surface at night from within just a few hundred yards i cannot say i have experienced this.
Very nice, this is how the aces racked up their big tonnages if I understand correctly. On a moonless night move into the convoy on the surface from behind. Once you are within ~ 3 or 4 km your conning tower appears below the horizon from the deck of a transport or destroyer, against the black backdrop of the ocean you are practically invisible. Attack from point blank range inside the convoy, then dive hard and escape. I didn't think Uboat's simulation was this good, will have to give it another try.
TheNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-23, 04:43 PM   #33
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

far as I'm concerned still piece of crap put 10 days supplied of food on first day out down to 6 days crew much be a bunch of pigs still the first day get a message rough sea crew might get seasick go topsides not all that rough,they better put a barf can around their neck ok ill take it down to 30 meters and grab a two-hour nap just too wake up to a dead chief
Old 04-20-23, 07:52 PM   #34
Harmsway!
XO

Downloads: 126

The more I play the more I like UBOAT. There is a lot of gameplay hidden beneath the surface. Damage control requires an officer to gather status reports and prioritize repair. Crew management and crew customization is top notch. The graphics, particularly the sea is awesome. Port interactions and supply are well done. And can all be done in first person.

Yet the user interface could be better but isn't terrible. I don't get the attack map. Not sure what to do with it. The regular map is too arcade like. The world map could be a great option if only you could zoom in on it. For those of us who would like to plot ourselves on the map as well as plot our targets would work if we could zoom in. As of now the map tools are rudimentary.

No doubt the future is bright for UBOAT since modding is encouraged. It will continue to get better.

My mods so far.
- Real flags
- Fishing boat
- Attack disc

SH5 Quick Start Guide
Harmsway! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-23, 07:52 AM   #35
Sabatasso
Swabbie

Downloads: 10

Well, I bought this game ages ago and while it looks promising I don't really spend much time with it before I reinstall SH3 with GWX or OneAlex to be honest. It's still very under-cooked and bare bones.

Since it is a Unity Engine game, however, which are extremely modular I have no doubt that it will be a solid replacement for Silent Hunter 3 eventually.
Sabatasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 12:27 PM   #36
Einzelganger
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 38

It's been a long time for me since SH3 and i've picked up UBOAT from Steam after having come across a video by Wolfpack345. The price was a steal and an easy way to dip my toes into the water again when compared to the daunting task of installing SH3 again and getting back all the mods i had and whatever tweaks i made along the way.

I'm now 55 hours in and i am liking the game more & more while finding out more things to do and how to do them. In a sense i'm growing and learning with my crew and getting this feeling i have to look out for them.

I have a feeling things can only get better with time and with that i have a feeling i could easily burn the same amount of hours on this game as i did on SH3, and now i'm back on here because it seems the best place to find like minded people to talk about the game.

Happy hunting !
Old 05-01-23, 12:57 PM   #37
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Einzelganger!...after 11 years 'silent running'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-23, 01:15 PM   #38
Einzelganger
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Einzelganger!...after 11 years 'silent running'!

Thank you very much, it feels good taking a u-boat out again
Old 05-06-23, 07:31 AM   #39
Sabatasso
Swabbie

Downloads: 10

I have 3-8 months of diving headfirst into the subsims then 3-4 years of hiatus. The way I have to play these games to enjoy them is insanely time consuming and even re-learning how to do everything manually, and primarily with periscope, takes a good while.
Sabatasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-23, 02:00 PM   #40
XonE:32
Bosun

Downloads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabatasso View Post
I have 3-8 months of diving headfirst into the subsims then 3-4 years of hiatus. The way I have to play these games to enjoy them is insanely time consuming and even re-learning how to do everything manually, and primarily with periscope, takes a good while.
Same. I'm "cyclical" w/my gaming. Looks likes Subs are "back on the menu boys!" for me at the mo anyway. I shelved UBOAT fairly quickly after purchasing a cpl yrs back? I forget. It was shortly after it came out. Way too gamey. It's a lot more interesting now with mods.
Currently prowling the North Sea. I'm not sure if it's the game or Uboat Expanded, but I def get the feel that I'M the one that's being hunted. Ran across a small convoy of 3 mil vessels w/1 tanker. I sank the tanker and buggered off. Within hours there was another group of 3 mils closing to the area. I departed quickly on the surface. It was night, but the moon was out so it was a bit of a risk. Then the next morning.. ALAAAAARM! A flight of 8 ..Hurricanes? If all this is random, it's very good random. It's def not perfect, but it's def getting better IMO. Hope it continues to do so.
Old 05-29-23, 08:30 PM   #41
StrixBit
Nub

Downloads: 9

Not sure if the right thread, but "Thoughts about UBOAT" felt like the best of the bunch. Is UBOAT worth getting into, I'm sort of a gopher in regards to that I haven't been able to find "that one game" that really drags me in and I spend endless hours playing it. I had maybe two of those style games back in the day and haven't had the same connection to one in a long time.

So I've been testing the waters of every Subsim game that seem remotely in the realm of realistic/study based in hopes of finding that game, but unfortunately reviews from all over play a major role in selecting these games and I felt the best source would be to actually go to the place where people respect and enjoy what these games truly have to offer and asked their opinions, biased and unbiased. Maybe I'll find one of those games again one day.
StrixBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-23, 08:03 PM   #42
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

Completely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmsway! View Post
The more I play the more I like UBOAT.
No doubt the future is bright for UBOAT since modding is encouraged. It will continue to get better.
Old 08-16-23, 08:22 AM   #43
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
The more I play the more I like UBOAT. There is a lot of gameplay hidden beneath the surface. Damage control requires an officer to gather status reports and prioritize repair. Crew management and crew customization is top notch. The graphics, particularly the sea is awesome. Port interactions and supply are well done. And can all be done in first person.

Yet the user interface could be better but isn't terrible. I don't get the attack map. Not sure what to do with it. The regular map is too arcade like. The world map could be a great option if only you could zoom in on it. For those of us who would like to plot ourselves on the map as well as plot our targets would work if we could zoom in. As of now the map tools are rudimentary.

My mods so far.
- Real flags
- Fishing boat
- Attack disc

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-23, 04:39 PM   #44
cristic
Nub

Downloads: 4

Quote:

My mods so far.
- Real flags
- Fishing boat
- Attack disc
You need a lot more mods to play it, try something like this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1984078352
cristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-23, 02:25 PM   #45
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

cristic! on the surface after a 6 year 'silent run'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote