SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-30-22, 02:46 AM   #16
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default Start War patrol from UAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niume View Post
I can't tell you because I have never tried them. You can try it see if it works.
Just tried it: Well, it worked until it didn't ...

I started from UAK Danzig and left for Kiel, even entered Kiel and "Refitted" (Refueled). Everything went well, I left Kiel (for Kristiansand) and just outside of Kiel, already on the mine-free path, the game crashed.

Now, none of the game saves will load anymore.

So, it seems that this option is in fact not a workable champaign solution.
Old 10-30-22, 08:06 AM   #17
astvitaliy1982
Lieutenant

Downloads: 524
Icon14 astvitaliy1982

Hello) Perfectly executed modpack)
astvitaliy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 05:35 AM   #18
bratwurstdimsum
Sparky

Downloads: 143
Uploads: 4

Hi there, I'm not sure if I'm doing this wrong or its a feature of KSD II which I'm not aware.

I am attempting to calculate range of a ship using the method from Solution_Solver_Angriffsscheibe_Wiz-Wheel_Attack_Disc_Handbook.pdf
page 13. The problem is when I tried using the periscope, I get a figure less than half of the actual range calculated by the auto TDC. what am I doing wrong?

Quote:
1. Once you have visually identified the class of ship using your Ship Recognition Manual (Schiffserkennungshandbuch), you know the mast height of the <ship> is X meters.
2. Using your optics, measure the angle from the waterline to the top of the mast (see Appendix A). Angle θ is Y degrees.
2. From the chart above, you find that the tangent of Y degrees is approximately Z.
3. Divide X meters by Z. The target range is approximately <range> meters.

The convoy lights are dead ahead
The merchantmen lay in their bed
The thump of diesels hammers down
In the oily sea-the killing ground
His knuckles white his eyes alight
He slams the hatch on the deadly night
A cunning fox in the chickens lair
A hound of hell and the devil dont care

-Iron Maiden

Last edited by bratwurstdimsum; 01-03-23 at 05:51 AM.
bratwurstdimsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 12:07 PM   #19
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Are you using in game RAOBF disc?

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 04:51 PM   #20
bratwurstdimsum
Sparky

Hi there, are you referring to this? If so I am not sure how to use it. I am only familiar with the other Angriffsscheibe (brown / yellow) disc.

Also if you are referring to the Help F1 perisopes guides, I do not really understand that either. sorry.

-Iron Maiden

Last edited by bratwurstdimsum; 01-03-23 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-04-23, 04:21 AM   #21
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratwurstdimsum View Post
Hi there, I'm not sure if I'm doing this wrong or its a feature of KSD II which I'm not aware.

I am attempting to calculate range of a ship using the method from Solution_Solver_Angriffsscheibe_Wiz-Wheel_Attack_Disc_Handbook.pdf
page 13. The problem is when I tried using the periscope, I get a figure less than half of the actual range calculated by the auto TDC. what am I doing wrong?

Unless, I'm looking at the wrong thing, the distance setting on the knob circled in red is 2750m (not 1023m), correct?
Old 01-04-23, 06:42 AM   #22
bratwurstdimsum
Sparky

Hi yes you are correct, let me explain. I am using the TDC in this example to check my calculations so it’s not in manual mode. The method I’ve described gives me 1023m but the ships distance according to the TDC is 2750m. So my question is does anyone know how to use this periscope to calculate the distance from just the pips on the y axis?

-Iron Maiden
Old 01-04-23, 07:08 AM   #23
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratwurstdimsum View Post
Hi yes you are correct, let me explain. I am using the TDC in this example to check my calculations so it’s not in manual mode. The method I’ve described gives me 1023m but the ships distance according to the TDC is 2750m. So my question is does anyone know how to use this periscope to calculate the distance from just the pips on the y axis?
Okay, understood. Sorry, I'm afraid, I'm not able to help with this one, as I don't use any of these tools myself ... seems way too tedious to me.

I merely use the namograph in the map view (F5) for speed calculation and for distance measuring the ruler, also, on the map view, that's it ... I figure, I let my Quartermaster do some of the work as well during an attack ;-)

For speed, I usually add another 1-2 knots ... the entire process is a mixture of some limited raw data, experience and pure guestimate ... seems to work okay as well :-)
Old 01-04-23, 07:21 AM   #24
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

Try using the top of the stack for the red line. It seems the stack is the highest point, which I believe is what they use in this example.

Otherwise, take the mast height and divide by the ticks/mils and then take the inverse tangent (arctan) and multiply by 100. Should be close enough. Arctan is also written as "tan-1" on some calculators.

Ex:

22.5/50=0.45

0.45 arctan=24.2277 ...
24.2277*100=2422.77 => round to about 2,400m for targeting purposes using the height you provided here with the masts and not the stack. The number I got using about 60 on the mils was closer to 2,000m which is still off from what they're saying here.

Please verify for me that this works in general (in the map, for example) since I'm just going off the cuff here based on other angle stuff I've been studying.

Also, I noticed the info is for SH3. This is for KSD2 which is SH4, correct? Is there a difference? What magnification are you using (not what you think you're using, but what's in the mod).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

ElCid97
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-23, 04:09 PM   #25
bratwurstdimsum
Sparky

Hi ElCid and Kapitan,
Thank you for the info I’ll give it a go later today. Yes this info was for SH3 and so I was hoping someone had worked out how to do it given KSD II is still relatively new. I have determined yesterday that range is not essential to get a firing solution but it was just of those things that nagged me. Cheers Jeff

-Iron Maiden
Old 01-04-23, 06:54 PM   #26
ElCid97
Gunner

Okay, here's what I've been able to figure out just based on math. Not sure if there's something out there that can verify this is how they did it, but it seems to work on paper.

((Mast Height (m) / mils observed) x (Magnification Setting) * 1,000) = Range in meters (approximate)

In other words, take the 22.5 and divide by the 50 mils observed. The answer is 0.45. You then take that and multiply it by the magnification factor. I used 6x in this case. The answer should be 2.7. If you multiply by 1,000 you get 2,700 meters -- which is what I'm seeing (give or take) on the TDC.

I tried other numbers and they seem to make sense from a trig point of view.

As an example, if you take 22.5 and divide by 100 mils you get 0.225. You multiply by 6x and you get 1.35. Multiply by 1,000 and it's 1,350. That would be half the observed distance, which would make sense.

Let me know if you guys are able to test out the formula. It would make sense since it let's you figure out a rough distance without the need for trig. On a slide ruler (straight or circular) it would just be a matter of putting numbers across from each other and interpreting. An answer of 2.65 can be quickly interpreted as 2,650 meters.

Hope this helps!

ElCid97
Old 01-05-23, 02:48 AM   #27
bratwurstdimsum
Sparky

Hey Elcid thank so much!
I ran your the Arctan, and Magnification x 6 methods and recorded the results in the link below.

I found your first Arctan ranging method did not work for me and your Mag x 6 fell just short so I changed it to x7 instead and that worked great out to ranges up to 3,000m after that there is a degree of error that gets larger, the further away but that is not important anyhow as you would not be firing torpedoes at that range!

((Mast Height (m) / mils observed) x 7 (Mag) * 1,000) = Range (m) approximate)

See here for the video:

-Iron Maiden
Old 01-06-23, 07:37 AM   #28
ElCid97
Gunner

Glad I could help! We could use this over with the WW I Kaiser mod since it means you're using simple math for targeting.

I've found a way to verify zoom levels. You have to check a "camera.dat" file for optics in the UZO as well as the two periscopes. I believe they are 7x for the UZO and 1.5x/6x for the two scopes, but I have to download something called S3D to read the thing, though. Need to find it here somewhere.

If it's 6x for the scopes, then I would use a factor of 6 for them and not 7 -- even if the answer is a little off. Remember, the max range of a WW I torpedo was about 1500 meters at most (until the end of the war, anyway). These methods were probably taken from the WW I experience, so it wouldn't be surprising that the acuracy drops at longer ranges.

I'll check the file unless someone who knows how to use the S3D beats me to it.

If verified 6x and 1.5x, then the formula can be updated:

For 1.5x
======

((Height (m) / mils observed) * 1500) = Estimated Range (m)

For 6x:
=====

((Height (m) / mils observed) * 6000) = Estimated Range (m)

For 7x (UZO only):
==============

((Height (m) / mils observed) * 7000) = Estimated Range (m)

For scopes with "5" and "10" instead of the 50/100 marks, just adjust the last value to move the decimal point as needed.

Glad this helped!

ElCid97
Old 01-07-23, 12:54 PM   #29
ElCid97
Gunner

Got the S3D thing to work last night.

Checked the "cameras.dat" file that came with KSD2 and can confirm that the UZO is at 7x and the two periscopes are at 6x in the file.

The binoculars are set to 10.7x for the zoom.

For now multiply the UZO readings by 1500 (with the 50/100 graduations of the mils) and the scopes by 6000 and you should be fine.

I'm not sure what the newer SH3 releases use, but I'm inclined to guess they should be the same (1.5x and 6x). You would have to check with OneAlex and the folks at LSH3.

The main difference I've seen in videos with regards to those mods for SH3 is that the mils are 5 and 10 instead of 50 and 100 like with KSD2. If the mils are 5/10 on the scope, just multiply by 150 and 600 instead of 1500 and 6000 to get the estimated range in meters.

Hope I've been able to help!

ElCid97
Old 01-07-23, 01:36 PM   #30
bratwurstdimsum
Sparky

That’s fantastic, I’m on holidays at the moment but that’s the first thing I’m doing when I get back cheers Jeff

-Iron Maiden