SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-22, 10:25 AM   #4321
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
EDIT: Before anyone wastes any more time on this, I need to take another look from here. When I look at my Save Files I see that the last one (00021) has data that is earlier than the one previous (00020). they are out of sequence for hte data.

Here is the one prior to the last one:

[CareerTrack 1.CareerStatusHeader]
CurrentDate=1942-05-26 20:13:58
CurrentFlotilla=BrisbaneCommand
CurrentFlotillaBase=Brisbane
CurrentSDepartureDescription=1.83813e+007,-3.28562e+006,356.055
CurrentUPCFlotillaUserPlayerUnitType=F3Gar
PlayerCurrentObjectiveCode=NewBritain SpecOps
PlayerDefaultObjectives=ID94
PlayerCurrentObjectives=ID395
PatrolStartDateTime=1942-06-18 00:13:58

It looks like I could just delete Save 00021. I'm going to try it after the game.

EDIT: Not sure how things went bad, but it's fixed now. I went back in the game and "fixed" it there rather than going into the files and messing around. I went to a Save I took when I saw the base had changed to Brisbane. This time I just let it run until I was about 100 nm outside Brisbane, took another Save there as a precaution, and then docked. I again received a new command (Gudgeon, a Gar Class). I set up the boat and crew and with some trepidation clicked on the map. Voila! It gave me departure date (5/19/1942) and a mission I didn't wait to read, since I got past the CTD. Sorry for crying wolf, but at least I got some new knowledge out of it. Thanks for trying to help, guys. Much appreciated!

Oh, and did you see how Kentucky spanked Kansas in the Allen Fieldhouse??? Remarkable!!

I have no idea how files got out of order
That is not crying wolf. Something went wrong in the modded game. btw - The Save folder is most likely "technically" not "out of order". The way Windows File Manager sorts the folders is. Windows looks at the folder names as named with "text" characters, while in reality, they are hexidecimal numbers. With that, you have "digits" 0-9, just like with decimal numbering, but then you have A-F for hexidecimal numbers of 10-16. Therefore, when you see a folder "0000000A", it is "higher" in count than "00000009". Coupled with that is the way the game handles things when you delete a saved game. You might delete a set of files that is saved in folder 00000006, but your active Save is in 0000000C. The next time you Save, or the game does an auto-Save, and it will use that now empty "00000006" slot, so things will be out of sequence in that fashion. That's why we'll say "latest time stamp" when looking for the correct folder.

In the v1.7 release of FotRSU, the Gar is not "active" at Brisbane until September of 1942. When I did the testing, I initially was assigned a mission, went out on patrol, but was not allowed to end patrol when I came back in in late June 1942. With the "p3" version, the Gar is now active from May 16, 1942, precisely to cover this sequence of events. This is NOT historical, but it does cover these early "rewards" - hopefully. With this game, you never know...

In the meantime, your ID395 mission is the Insert/Extract sequence in "SolomonInsertExtr.mis" which KM and I wrassled with several months back, but that mission should not have prevented your starting the patrol. So just the one variable remains: Do you have the original v1.7 release of the mod, with the test patch on top, or maybe you have the "n" patch added, or are you running with the v1.7p3 version? Thanks!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-22, 11:47 AM   #4322
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That is not crying wolf. Something went wrong in the modded game. btw - The Save folder is most likely "technically" not "out of order". The way Windows File Manager sorts the folders is. Windows looks at the folder names as named with "text" characters, while in reality, they are hexidecimal numbers. With that, you have "digits" 0-9, just like with decimal numbering, but then you have A-F for hexidecimal numbers of 10-16. Therefore, when you see a folder "0000000A", it is "higher" in count than "00000009". Coupled with that is the way the game handles things when you delete a saved game. You might delete a set of files that is saved in folder 00000006, but your active Save is in 0000000C. The next time you Save, or the game does an auto-Save, and it will use that now empty "00000006" slot, so things will be out of sequence in that fashion. That's why we'll say "latest time stamp" when looking for the correct folder.

In the v1.7 release of FotRSU, the Gar is not "active" at Brisbane until September of 1942. When I did the testing, I initially was assigned a mission, went out on patrol, but was not allowed to end patrol when I came back in in late June 1942. With the "p3" version, the Gar is now active from May 16, 1942, precisely to cover this sequence of events. This is NOT historical, but it does cover these early "rewards" - hopefully. With this game, you never know...

In the meantime, your ID395 mission is the Insert/Extract sequence in "SolomonInsertExtr.mis" which KM and I wrassled with several months back, but that mission should not have prevented your starting the patrol. So just the one variable remains: Do you have the original v1.7 release of the mod, with the test patch on top, or maybe you have the "n" patch added, or are you running with the v1.7p3 version? Thanks!
I'm running with the latest version; i completely removed/uninstalled/deleted all previous versions and patches, deleted the SH4 files in Documents, deleted the SH4 game from my Ubi folder, and copied over a pristine V1.5 before adding the latest FOTRSU to the MODS folder. This is what I'm running now:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.5.0.150
[G:\Ubisoft\Silent_Hunter_IV\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.7p3
101_Nippon Maru v1.6c
102_Nihon Kaigun v1.1b
Combined Roster
305_LessJapaneseAirRadar
399c1_NoScrollNavMap - Same Sized Dials
450_Lite Fog v2 + 300' Underwater Visability
450_MoonlightzSonarLines
801_UMark Invisible
802_TMO_torp_tex_FotRSU
803_NoPlayerSubFlags
806_PeriscopeSplash
851_Yel_FotRSU_Logo
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols

I know you prefer I only run the "tested" mods, but I'm reaching for the full experience that I'm used to. Whatever the issue was with those files (and I do know hex and how it works) it went away when I went back to a previous save before reaching Brisbane, then using the game, deleted the Save files that followed it. As I said, I now have a new assignment and all seems to be working.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-22, 01:21 PM   #4323
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Default Command change causes CTD

i thought we had discussed this topic recently but i cannot find the thread.

i received a new mission to perform lifeguard duty. based on experience with the task of rescuing survivors i have found that arming a key on the keyboard makes the task much less dependent on the mouse: slow down, get close, center the cross-hairs, bang the rescue key. i have done with all previous mods: TMO 2.5, TMO+RSRD, RFB, and GFO(Stock).

so, i edited the Command.cfg file and added a key definition for Rescue_Survivor.

[Cmd352]
Name=Rescue_Survivors
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x30,,"0"

i launch SH4 and as the Nippon Maru Splash screen meter reaches approximately 66%, SH4 shuts down and it's back to the desktop.

if i remove the key definition with a semi-colon, SH4 launches properly.

this is unexplainable.

any ideas?

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.7pRC2
399_NoScrollNavMap
400_Nihon Kaigun v1.1b
410_Nippon Maru v1.6c
420_Combined Roster

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-22, 02:37 PM   #4324
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post

i received a new mission to perform lifeguard duty. based on experience with the task of rescuing survivors i have found that arming a key on the keyboard makes the task much less dependent on the mouse: slow down, get close, center the cross-hairs, bang the rescue key. i have done with all previous mods: TMO 2.5, TMO+RSRD, RFB, and GFO(Stock).

so, i edited the Command.cfg file and added a key definition for Rescue_Survivor.

[Cmd352]
Name=Rescue_Survivors
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x30,,"0"

i launch SH4 and as the Nippon Maru Splash screen meter reaches approximately 66%, SH4 shuts down and it's back to the desktop.

this is unexplainable.

any ideas?

399_NoScrollNavMap
400_Nihon Kaigun v1.1b
410_Nippon Maru v1.6c
420_Combined Roster
Maybe... try a different key definition... like... shift+` key combo...

M. M.
Old 01-30-22, 02:41 PM   #4325
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I'm running with the latest version; i completely removed/uninstalled/deleted all previous versions and patches, deleted the SH4 files in Documents, deleted the SH4 game from my Ubi folder, and copied over a pristine V1.5 before adding the latest FOTRSU to the MODS folder. This is what I'm running now:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.5.0.150
[G:\Ubisoft\Silent_Hunter_IV\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.7p3
101_Nippon Maru v1.6c
102_Nihon Kaigun v1.1b
Combined Roster
305_LessJapaneseAirRadar
399c1_NoScrollNavMap - Same Sized Dials
450_Lite Fog v2 + 300' Underwater Visability
450_MoonlightzSonarLines
801_UMark Invisible
802_TMO_torp_tex_FotRSU
803_NoPlayerSubFlags
806_PeriscopeSplash
851_Yel_FotRSU_Logo
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols

I know you prefer I only run the "tested" mods, but I'm reaching for the full experience that I'm used to. Whatever the issue was with those files (and I do know hex and how it works) it went away when I went back to a previous save before reaching Brisbane, then using the game, deleted the Save files that followed it. As I said, I now have a new assignment and all seems to be working.
All I can say then about the Save issue is ... The only "non-approved" mod is the lite fog / visibility, and I had been testing a version of that the other day, and all seemed fine, so it is most likely OK. Your mod mix is most likely good, with a 95% certainty. Using the 'p3' version does have the Gar becoming active March 16, 1942, so an upgrade should have been fine. After reading your reply here a bit ago, I have redone that mission (again) with a couple of more little tweaks, though I do not see what any issue would have been with the mission. The mission becomes active on June 16, 1942, and your sailing date shows it was going to be June 18, 1942. I have moved its active date back a little in time to be available a bit earlier - just in case on that, but this is one area where the game is relatively good at being restricted by dates... I have also changed the "trigger" for when you get the Insert Message. Other than that, again: - we will keep digging. If you want to, go ahead an zip the whole Save folder up, post it, let me know in a PM, and I'll look at a few other places in the structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post

[Cmd352]
Name=Rescue_Survivors
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x30,,"0"

this is unexplainable.

any ideas?

399_NoScrollNavMap
400_Nihon Kaigun v1.1b
410_Nippon Maru v1.6c
420_Combined Roster
I do remember the discussion... but I'm thinking it was a separate thread?? I have eaten entirely too much pie since then, and all that sugar ruins my storage cell capacity... the info drained a long time ago. One thing to remember when editing the commands.cfg is the count at the top of the file.
[Commands]
CommandsNb=600
MaxKeyCommandsNb=170; Keys number shoud be smaller than this value (in order to accelerate the loading)
... of which you should be fine. Another thing to remember is existing key assignments. The "O" (Oh) key is already in use in FotRSU as "Observation Periscope", and the "0" (Zero) is the Captain's Log. The only "free" key is the NumPad "5", but that might not be touchable, I don't know... There are a couple of options. Make the key assignment a combination with <Ctrl><O> (Oh), or comment out the existing "O" (Oh) for the Observation Periscope, and just rely upon the menu button - which can get tedious when the action starts flying about you...

Old 01-30-22, 02:50 PM   #4326
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Maybe... try a different key definition... like... shift+` key combo...
no matter what key code is used, the results are the same.

has anyone else assigned a key to Rescue_Survivors and will FOTRSU launch after the change?

LAA enabled
Old 01-30-22, 02:56 PM   #4327
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
One thing to remember when editing the commands.cfg is the count at the top of the file.
[Commands]
CommandsNb=600
MaxKeyCommandsNb=170; Keys number shoud be smaller than this value (in order to accelerate the loading)
... of which you should be fine.
what is the fastest/easiest way to count KeyCommands in order to see if i am over the limit?

Quote:
Another thing to remember is existing key assignments. The "O" (Oh) key is already in use in FotRSU as "Observation Periscope", and the "0" (Zero) is the Captain's Log. The only "free" key is the NumPad "5", but that might not be touchable, I don't know... There are a couple of options. Make the key assignment a combination with <Ctrl><O> (Oh), or comment out the existing "O" (Oh) for the Observation Periscope, and just rely upon the menu button - which can get tedious when the action starts flying about you...
i stopped using the 0(zero) key for All Stop a long time ago. i use NumPad Zero because it is faster/easier to use.

LAA enabled
Old 01-30-22, 09:04 PM   #4328
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69
Default Sub gets mysterious damage when loading a save

OK, as a rule I make sure that there are no enemies around, sub is surfaced, reloading of torps is completed if any, batteries fully charged and sub is on straight course before I save the game and quit.
For 2 patrols now, I've suffered some light damage to the sub when I load a save. Nothing major, the damage gets repaired, no loss of hull integrity but I am wondering what is causing it since I'm not any form of combat. No aircraft, ships or coastal batteries lobbing the odd shell my way.
What's causing this?
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-22, 09:50 PM   #4329
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner View Post
OK, as a rule I make sure that there are no enemies around, sub is surfaced, reloading of torps is completed if any, batteries fully charged and sub is on straight course before I save the game and quit.
For 2 patrols now, I've suffered some light damage to the sub when I load a save. Nothing major, the damage gets repaired, no loss of hull integrity but I am wondering what is causing it since I'm not any form of combat. No aircraft, ships or coastal batteries lobbing the odd shell my way.
What's causing this?
as det.sgt. john mcclane is fond of saying: welcome to the party, pal.

what you experienced is a mystery of SH4.

i, myself, was sunk by such an incident not long ago.

nothing you can do about it other than restore your last save and press on.

LAA enabled
Old 01-31-22, 04:02 AM   #4330
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69

Thanks KM.
So it's not unique to the mod, but all iterations of SH4?
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-22, 10:40 AM   #4331
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Thanks KM.
correct.

LAA enabled
Old 01-31-22, 11:55 AM   #4332
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Thanks KM.
Yep... KM answered 1st.

Just as is that issue with C02... (having the carbon continue to build up, even after surfacing... ) & hearing loud engine noises... having rocketed ahead at full bore... then submerging... then, still hearing it like the diesel's were pounding away... even while submerged... after submerging...

On those happening, is but a simple process to bounce out... if you've already saved prior to it occurring... then reload. Will usually, do the trick.

If not, a quick save... & reload.. will.... do it.

For those stubborn occasions... can always back off 1 save prior... & that'll do the trick as well... though, will admit... a painful prosect.. especially if that save is way back on the time line...

Which is why I go for doing saves... around 8 hour time chunks... roughly.

That way, it minimizes the lost time.. rather than do a save after leaving base & don't do saves for like days later, in game.

I also avoid overwriting saves... using My own method to name them, so as to know by them... just where I am while on patrol or in base. depending on the situation...

But... that's just My own methodology...

M. M.
Old 01-31-22, 10:32 PM   #4333
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
All I can say then about the Save issue is ... The only "non-approved" mod is the lite fog / visibility, and I had been testing a version of that the other day, and all seemed fine, so it is most likely OK. Your mod mix is most likely good, with a 95% certainty. Using the 'p3' version does have the Gar becoming active March 16, 1942, so an upgrade should have been fine. After reading your reply here a bit ago, I have redone that mission (again) with a couple of more little tweaks, though I do not see what any issue would have been with the mission. The mission becomes active on June 16, 1942, and your sailing date shows it was going to be June 18, 1942. I have moved its active date back a little in time to be available a bit earlier - just in case on that, but this is one area where the game is relatively good at being restricted by dates... I have also changed the "trigger" for when you get the Insert Message. Other than that, again: - we will keep digging. If you want to, go ahead an zip the whole Save folder up, post it, let me know in a PM, and I'll look at a few other places in the structure.
Out of a sense of frustration I deleted the relevant Save File, but because I am stubborn, finished the patrol before starting it anew. Reason I did that is I think somehow the whole mission was fubared. After going to the assigned area in the Solomons, I found a few ships in St. George's Channel and one in the Bismark Sea NW of Rabaul. Following 10 days of no new sightings other than a few planes and one patrol boat (a PT-type), I went back to the Slot just between Savo Island and Cape Esperance (I think that is what it is). I sat there for the rest of October, and then the entire month of November, without a single ship sighting! I know that wasn't right, so I went back to Brisbane, deleted all the Save files up to the prior arrival in Brisbane, and basically reran the mission, leaving Brisbane on 10/22/1942. This time there were IJN ships galore, steaming down the slot to disembark their cargo on the NW end of Guadalcanal. I had a ball, especially when on a certain date in November the Tokyo Express made a run for Henderson Field. Got me a Kongo! Woo, Hoo! I also got to witnesss naval gunfire clobbering another Kongo - even though I hit it with 4 - 6 Mark 14's, I got no credit for that one - the gunfire sank her. Couldn't even see the US forces, just the splashes falling around it and the occasional eruption of debris from hits. VERY COOL! Came back to Brisbane on November (censored) to get a new Gato. Life is good!

Anyway, let's just assume it was an anomaly; Either I did something, or my system did something, or the game did something that wiped out all the ususl IJN traffic. But that traffic was there the second time I ran it, so I feel Ok with that. But thanks for the offer!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All

Last edited by torpedobait; 02-01-22 at 09:24 AM.
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-22, 08:42 AM   #4334
propbeanie

Probably undesired "leftovers" of the previous fail...

I'll try to combine tests here, and do a Sargo out of Cavite again, and do well enough to qualify for an upgrade upon arrival at Brisbane.

Old 02-01-22, 09:00 AM   #4335
propbeanie

Quote:
What's causing this?
As KaleunMarco and Mad Mardigan mention, it is an oddity with the game. I took an S-42 out of San Diego April 1942 last night to try an idea for conning tower upgrades (failed the test, btw). Somewhere off the Gilberts, I encountered a lone merchant. "Easy prey" I thought... Hah! I eventually missed with three of four torpedoes, most likely due to forgetting that I was shooting Mark 10s... - anyway, I did a surface pursuit, and attempted a running gun battle, staying 3500 yards away in an attempt at a close run-around while the torpedoes re-loaded... The gun crew got maybe four or five shots off, with one hit on the merchant, when we took two quick hits to the hull and had all kinds of damage and injuries (I mean, really - what are the odds??). We did a crash dive and broke off the pursuit. We had the usual sounds of hissing steam and water spray throughout the boat, to the point where you could barely hear the crew shouting about their damage reports. Pure bedlam for the next couple of hours. The merchant did end up sinking about 30 minutes later, so there was that, and none of the crew were "dead", but it was forever after we surfaced before the damages were repaired, and the crew recovered. Like maybe four days game time. After ALL was completed, I Saved and exited to do more "honey-do" work. When I came back to the game several hours later and loaded that Save, I about jumpred out of my skin as ALL of the sounds of the previous battle and damage replayed in roughly 15 seconds as the lights came on when coming back into the boat - EVERY LAST SOUND... The most worrisome one of course, is the sound of breaking glass and "We're taking damage, sir!!!" lol - Once everything loads though, all is back to "normal", and everything is indeed repaired still, and all systems functional - well, except the 32% Hull Damage, of course... - If you noodle much with the "Radio" on the boat, especially if listening to the "news broadcasts", you will always hear the last broadcast replay as the the game loads, and the same with the boat's normal radio, you will that "beep beep beep" of a new message coming across at times, as the game loads.