SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-10-21, 09:36 AM   #16
Silent Otto
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Typed up a rather detailed one on convoys and wolfpacks but it disappeared when I did a post preview.

Still playing with posting and have some issues (no smilies; paragraph indexing, etc.). Tried to PM Neal but my PM's are not showing "sent" ???

Day or two and I should be cooking with gas!
Old 12-12-22, 09:17 PM   #17
Jokem
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default AOD Bugs

Two things.
The time compression sometimes tops out at a specific value, even when far away from any convoy. I have ridden all the way back to port with it stuck at 64x, or goofy values such as 112x.
Sometimes for no reason the game just exits the action and goes back to the menu.
Jokem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-22, 12:12 AM   #18
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Jokem!...after a 4-year 'silent run!'

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-22, 11:06 AM   #19
Andreas86
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokem View Post
Two things.
The time compression sometimes tops out at a specific value, even when far away from any convoy. I have ridden all the way back to port with it stuck at 64x, or goofy values such as 112x.
Sometimes for no reason the game just exits the action and goes back to the menu.

I also have the same ecperience with time compression. But have found that if it gets "stuck" like that on some weird compression, if you dive a short while and surface again, it will often work as normal again.

I know that in single missions, if there is no chance of action, the game goes back to menu. Does it do this in campaign as well for you?
Andreas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-23, 04:17 PM   #20
Jokem
Swabbie

Default Time Compression

I have not found diving and resurfacing has made any difference.

On single missions, it will say something like 'broken contact' and go back to the menu. In campaign mode it will not say anything about 'broken contact' but all of a sudden go back to the menu. I think it is because I press keys too fast.
Old 01-31-23, 09:14 PM   #21
Jokem
Swabbie

Default Jump back to Menu

I just got done playing it and it jumped back to the menu without me pressing any keys.
Old 02-01-23, 10:56 AM   #22
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

All of this angst over a game copyrighted 29-years and untold generations of hardware and software ago. And yet AOD still has positive features, which were never included in later U-Boat games. I'm inclined to cut it a bit more slack than some here.

Just $0.02 CAD.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-23, 06:49 PM   #23
Jokem
Swabbie

Default Anger?

I am not sure the responses here can be categorized as 'Anger' so much as asking for a bug fix.

FYI - I was in the middle of shelling a crippled ship and it exited back to the menu spontaneously.
Old 06-24-23, 04:01 AM   #24
Redwing6891
Swabbie

Downloads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas86 View Post

Come on, the wave effects on the uboat in AOD are more in line with a rubber duck in a bathtub. The boat is glued to a surface that is oscillating way too fast.

Could the wave action have something to do with DOS box settings? Like what CPU you pick or how many cycles you allow? I don't remember the 'rubber ducky in a bathtub effect' when playing it in the 90s on a 486.

I am no DOS box expert but there are other old games out there that are severely influenced by this. Strike Commander (F-16 simulator) is unplayable with normal DOS box setting as the AI is way too fast and can outmaneuver any missiles. Only by clocking down in the cycles you get a chance of actually hitting anything.

Could the wave effect be something similar? Obviously less critical as the game is still very much payable but it would be nice to get a fix.
Redwing6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-23, 04:57 AM   #25
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing6891 View Post
Could the wave action have something to do with DOS box settings? Like what CPU you pick or how many cycles you allow? I don't remember the 'rubber ducky in a bathtub effect' when playing it in the 90s on a 486.

I am no DOS box expert but there are other old games out there that are severely influenced by this. Strike Commander (F-16 simulator) is unplayable with normal DOS box setting as the AI is way too fast and can outmaneuver any missiles. Only by clocking down in the cycles you get a chance of actually hitting anything.

Could the wave effect be something similar? Obviously less critical as the game is still very much payable but it would be nice to get a fix.
Everyone, it was exactly this way out of the box fwiw. At the time it was considered amazing. Wave action had never really been done before. It never has and still doesn't bother me, but ymmv.
Not nearly as much as the SH3 mods that have the same action out of the bino view in the name of "realism".
Old 06-24-23, 01:52 PM   #26
Andreas86
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

I have tried going so far as using dos debuggers to find out what exactly controls the speed of the wave cycle, but I have not found any references yet to it. It is beyond my knowledge anyway. I might get some help for it soon. Yes, you can turn down the DOS cycles and it slows, but then the rest of the game becomes molasses too. John is right, and it was like this in Command AOD too, which was my first encounter with AOD. I remember being negative to it even then. In any case, I only play with "Calm Ocean On".
Andreas86 is offline   Reply With Quote