SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-22-23, 02:54 PM   #1
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Default Height above waterline?

Title says it all, sorry if that was brought up already but does anyone have that information for the class of u-boats used in this sim? Years ago, I was involved in SAR and the height of the eye above water determined the visual distance to the horizon line. Coupled with the height above water of the targets structure is very helpful when determining the track spacing of a Creep or Parallel search pattern. It increases your Probability of Detection, saving time on scene and a couple of tons of fuel by not going over the same real estate twice.

Example: If my eye was 20 feet above the water line. The distance to horizon is 1.17 X the square root of 20 = distance to the horizon in nautical miles. 1.17 X 4.47 = 5.12 nautical miles. This allows me to have around 10 miles between my charted course lines with a minimal overlap. Knowing the height above the water of my search target would allow me to see it from even further away allowing me to increase the spacing even wider. Of course, this is really extremely basic as there is an actual science behind plotting a search patterns. But it might offer a little method to the madness of your search.

Which leads me to the big question does any of this matter when looking for targets of opportunity in this sim?

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-23, 10:42 AM   #2
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Ok, as I play more I realized just use the visibility rings to determine track spacing. I tell ya searching, listening to the waves, the drone of engines, with red lights on at night actually evoked an emotional response, brings back memories. Nice job on the audio & visuals.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote