SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-12, 07:48 PM   #10246
Kafka BC
Planesman

Downloads: 163
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by andwii View Post
Congrats on surviving such a bold move!
Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
@ Kafka BC and VonApist.

Very nice shots gentlemen!

Kafka, looks like you had a 'nice' little adventure there. That's what I love about this game. Nothing is ever easy.
Yeah, I guess it was kind of bold, come to think of it. I think I will try to find that 'Decks Awash' mod and try it again and see how far I get. It would be a feat to make it through without submerging fully.

Seeing that destroyer blow off its own DC Racks reminded me of a career I saved some shots from a few months back:

I was transferring my external torpedoes when I got interrupted by a River class DE traveling across my bow at full speed. Not wanting to submerge and start the transfer all over again, I thought I would risk it and stopped engines. He passed my bow at about 8000 meters without seeing me, but at a little over 9000 meters he turned and did a beeline straight for me. I dove and went at flank speed to get away from where I was and then went nearly doggo. He found me anyways.

Over two hours he circled me, making quick turns in, dumping a load on me, and moving out to circle again. No matter what depth (150 meters once) or what I did I couldn't seem to shake him. Say what you want about the stock game's AI, this guy actually made me very nervous and had me near sweating, it was challenging.

Finally when it appeared that I may have eluded him for a bit, I went to fifteen meters, popped the scope and fired a quick shot from my stern tube and dove again, hoping he didn't see me. The time passed when the torpedo should have hit so I went to the external cam to have a peak.

That's when I found out what the T4 Falke was for.

It followed the DE around, gained on it and blew its DC Racks and propellers off. A sigh of relief and an easy target after that.

And the hunt continues. I love going after convoys, the harder the better, that is why I start my careers in 1942 or 43.
And make a Northwest Passage to the sea.

- Stan Rogers (1949-1983)
Kafka BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 07:59 PM   #10247
u35_captain
Mate

Downloads: 4

Snuck into Hartlepool overnight, sank the lone destroyer, surfaced and used the deck gun on four ships in the harbour. By the time the inevitable response showed up, I'd sunk the ships, moved position and lay in wait rather than sneaking away.

Also, Fraps may be my only solution - I've got SHIII installed on a laptop (it's all I've got :P ) so the keyboard commands aren't working for me. Thanks again for the suggestions though, all.
u35_captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 07:59 PM   #10248
Kafka BC
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2Niner View Post
@Kafka

Outstanding shots mate, especially love the widescreen movie feel
Thanks Fubar, they are just cropped down from 1280 x 960 screen shots, I think teaching myself photography and doing a lot of it in the late 70's and early 80's kind of gave me a sense of composition. Long haired freak that I was, I actually learned something there that I still remember how to do.

Old 03-07-12, 08:21 PM   #10249
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka BC View Post
Thanks Fubar, they are just cropped down from 1280 x 960 screen shots, I think teaching myself photography and doing a lot of it in the late 70's and early 80's kind of gave me a sense of composition. Long haired freak that I was, I actually learned something there that I still remember how to do.

I know the feeling mate, back then I had hair like Jesus, these days it's more Jesus I wish I had hair. Keep the screenies coming mate, with your permission I'd like to start a kind of photo library. Not sure why I haven't thought of this before.

Need to look into this further and ask permissions, Would be nice for an SH3 Art Museum, so to speak tho, thoughts guys ?

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 09:20 PM   #10250
Kafka BC
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2Niner View Post
....with your permission I'd like to start a kind of photo library.
Be my guest.

Quote:
Would be nice for an SH3 Art Museum, so to speak tho, thoughts guys ?
Good idea.

Regards

Old 03-07-12, 09:48 PM   #10251
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka BC View Post
Say what you want about the stock game's AI, this guy actually made me very nervous and had me near sweating, it was challenging.
Stock? You're playing STOCK???

SH5 has stupid stock AI. The complaint about SH3 stock has always been the laser-guided depth charges and psychic destroyers. Stock SH3 is much harder than it should be, not easier.
Old 03-08-12, 09:03 AM   #10252
Kafka BC
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Stock? You're playing STOCK???
Well, it's a modded stock, mostly the environment with a few changes to the visual settings in the sensors and config files to compensate, some graphics, skins, and waterstream and exhaust effects.

Quote:
SH5 has stupid stock AI. The complaint about SH3 stock has always been the laser-guided depth charges and psychic destroyers. Stock SH3 is much harder than it should be, not easier.
Really? I always thought it was supposed to be easier. I don't find the stock game that tough, especially in the early years. I figured, since it was 1943, that DE spotted me with radar or visually, and had a veteran crew, which is why I couldn't shake him as easily as others. When I use the external cam to see what is going on around my boat, I see DCs going off above, below, near and far from me, nothing seems laser-guided except my torpedoes, which I would like to mod to build some inaccuracies into them.

Old 03-08-12, 09:33 AM   #10253
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I don't know why you're having the experience you are, but I do know that one of the first mods for SH3 was one that made the depth charges have historical values. The stock version has a kill zone roughly three times the size of real depth charges, if I'm remembering correctly. GWX and NYGM both have the same adjustment. I'm not sure about the others.
Old 03-08-12, 03:19 PM   #10254
Kafka BC
Planesman

@Sailor Steve

Sorry, I couldn't get back right away. I had an important appointment at the hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I don't know why you're having the experience you are, but I do know that one of the first mods for SH3 was one that made the depth charges have historical values. The stock version has a kill zone roughly three times the size of real depth charges, if I'm remembering correctly. GWX and NYGM both have the same adjustment. I'm not sure about the others.
I like the experience. I don't believe I am that good at avoiding them, so I checked the relevant files in the library folder to see if a mod may have changed them but they are the originals dated 2004 and 2005. Their large zones probably explains why I always get deck gun, flak gun, conning tower, and deck damage a lot, I do die when the DCs are close enough or if I do something stupid.

Thanks for the info on those changes, I'm going to check them out and see about modding them in, but I don't want to make it to easy.

Old 03-08-12, 06:31 PM   #10255
erikdell
Watch

Downloads: 52
Mine Spotted!

Talking about stupid decisions, look what i found while i was being depth charged near Dunkirk by about 5 destroyers. I ended up dead after two hours being attacked by heavy flooding, i use Thomsen no instant death screen mod so i could watch the horrible ending.

--
edit: i wrote taking instead of talking
erikdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 04:51 AM   #10256
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Downloads: 300
Default U-538

1. January 29 1941 Entering port after a 51 days patrol

The damages are from an air attack

2. Entering the pen

VONHARRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 07:22 AM   #10257
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3222

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikdell View Post
Talking about stupid decisions, look what i found while i was being depth charged near Dunkirk by about 5 destroyers. I ended up dead after two hours being attacked by heavy flooding, i use Thomsen no instant death screen mod so i could watch the horrible ending.

--
edit: i wrote taking instead of talking
This final is similar to "Sharks and little fish", by Wilhelm Ott. Horrendous!!!

Read that book, recommended!

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 09:28 AM   #10258
erikdell
Watch

Downloads: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
This final is similar to "Sharks and little fish", by Wilhelm Ott. Horrendous!!!

Read that book, recommended!

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
I will look for it! Thankss!! So there's people from my country here! I was feeling kind of lonely!!! Greetings from Mar del Plata.
erikdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 09:39 AM   #10259
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 09:40 AM   #10260
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3222

Quote:
I will look for it! Thankss!! So there's people from my country here! I was feeling kind of lonely!!! Greetings from Mar del Plata.
You say nothing, but all we arrived with the U-977 with the treasure of the Third Reich and received by the (then) Colonel Perón.

Regards from Buenos Aires.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote