SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-17-09, 08:42 PM   #1381
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

http://forum.kickinbak.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1829
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 08:57 PM   #1382
donut
The Old Man

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Good move Ducimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
If you have ever presented SH4 big picture you think I don't understand please link, or explain, only words. Thxs for your time.>donut
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 09:20 PM   #1383
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut View Post
If you have ever presented SH4 big picture you think I don't understand please link, or explain, only words. Thxs for your time.>donut
The thing is, im at work, and can't take the time to explain, and when i get home, my time is spent with my girlfriend, so again, time is short for me. So here is the terse version of "the big picture", as it relates to your dissatisfaction with deck weaponry.

First you have to look at, means and ends. One thing that effects alot of my design decisions is how much tonnage you can pull at the end of a patrol. 100K is not only unrealistic, but if someone pulls a 100K patrol sinking merchants in TMO with no modifcations to it, i as a modder should be ashamed of myself. Even 50K is unreasonable. 20 to 40K is my target range for a real good patrol. As historical accuracy goes, my aim is twofold, to make you as the player behave as a skipper would have, and to pull in reasonable tonnage scores at the end of a patrol.

The deck gun is a wildcard in this, because, as is, it can concievably double your tonnage score when used "properly" against the damage model. The damage model is a hybrid of sinking time, and hit point count. Shells remove hit points. Too many hitpoints removed per shell, target ship is removed from play too quickly and expediantly, upping tonnage to unreasonable levels, and also decreases your loiter time, which decreases the chance you will face airstrikes or tin cans directed to the vacinity by the contact. Now i have some options OTHER then reducing shell damage. they are:

1.) drastically decrease refire time. But i find this annoying, so i wont do it.

2.) change damage model to a pure sinking one and not one where hit points are in play. But i find waiting around a many hours for a ship to sink annoying as well so i won't do this.

3.) Decrease accuracy of the deck gun via sim.cfg. Trouble is, this will also decrease AI deck gun accuracy , so this is off the plate entirely.

4.) Increase hitpoints on shipping. Trouble is, this will also effected torpedo performance, so im replacing one rebalancing act with another.

Maybe this will give you some idea of the bigger picture. MANY things in the game interrelated or effect other areas in indirect ways. It's not like i made a bunch of adjustments because i thought they were cool and tossed them in. A supermod, is very much like a ball of yarn.
Old 09-17-09, 10:49 PM   #1384
donut
The Old Man

Downloads: 10
Obviously you have done your best.

Tonnage is an ego thing. Because of codeing of the game, it will never be a true simuation. I doubt our forfathers had much fun, & I agree "war is hell" ! But it should never sell in real life. Thus, you have been between the rock, & the hard place for to long. Your sweetheart is incentive to protect you from yourself, another driving force. Love intended, donut

Last edited by donut; 09-17-09 at 11:00 PM.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 11:07 PM   #1385
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergei View Post
In my experience that is correct.
If my crew spot a friendly we just sail on by, doesn't drop out of TC.
As for the hydrophone thing, I think that early war hydrophone combined with inexperienced crew will only hear a ship at about 8000 yards (ish! maybe less)
SO in daylight they'll see the contact long before they spot it.
At night I get about 50/50 between hydrophone and watch crew spotting contacts first.
Interestingly, I scanned the complete list of contacts for all submarines and all cruises and didn't come up with a single surface sonar contact as the first detection of any target or friendly.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 04:24 AM   #1386
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Interestingly, I scanned the complete list of contacts for all submarines and all cruises and didn't come up with a single surface sonar contact as the first detection of any target or friendly.
Sorry RR could you clarify? Do you mean IRL or in game?
Reading it I think you mean in game. Hmmm, thinking about it, though my memory does not serve me too well these days, I seem to recall it happening in rough seas. Is it that my sub is dipping under the waves thus momentarily letting my sound crew hear the contact? That happened to me quite a few times in SH3.
I do know that when this happened to me I could go to the sound room myself and not be able to hear the contact, but often I could see it from the bridge.

Last edited by sergei; 09-18-09 at 09:41 AM.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-09, 01:13 AM   #1387
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

not sure if this is specific to 1.7 or the 1.8 beta..

but how can i get the stock merchant names back? im too used to them to switch to japanese names now.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 07:43 PM   #1388
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Beta?

Now that I have got the mod installed, I have a couple of issues.

First this isn't an issue, but a story. The first couple of times I was spotted by destroyers, I tried to dive to 600 feet. Each time I thought depth charges sunk me. I thought I was in a Balao. Wrong. I was in a Gato. My mistake. If that is not the problem, let me know please.

Second and third times, I replayed the mission, I surfaced at 4400 yards and was spotted by the destroyers. What is a safe distance to surface. How far is the radious their radar search?

dds are really tough in this game. If this keeps up, I may have to downgrade the AI, per the instructions.

It looks like a great mod. Because of the hazard from the dds, it takes a long time to work through a mission.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 10:18 PM   #1389
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I tried to dive to 600 feet. Each time I thought depth charges sunk me. I thought I was in a Balao. Wrong. I was in a Gato
Reaching Crush depth in TMO means just that, so its best to avoid being close to it. A Gato wont go to 600 feet, but not far from it.

Quote:
I surfaced at 4400 yards and was spotted by the destroyers. What is a safe distance to surface.
That varies on:
- Time of day (light vs dark)
- sea conditions (rough vs calm)
- Fog conditions or lack thereof
- Your aspect to the destroyers (bows on vs broadside to them)

Just FYI, merchants cannot see as far as destroyers, which in turn cannot see as far as capital ships, which in turn cannot see as far as aircraft.

Quote:
How far is the radious their radar search?
I don't have the files in front of me, but off the top of my head, 16 or 18 KM i think. You do have a radar detector upgrade (eventually) which can detect radar signals twice that range.

Quote:
dds are really tough in this game.
Thats one of the better aspects of the mod. It's not what i would call, "atlantic tough", but its far tougher the stock, and (im guessing) harder then most mods. You'll have to unlearn all the bad habits you may have picked up in the past and be a bit more prudent.
Old 09-28-09, 10:47 PM   #1390
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default this game is tough

Thanks for the information. You have really done your homework on this mod.

I have been under the sea at 450 feet in Convoy College in my Gato for two hours, and the dds are 3000 yds off. This is a really tough game. And sometimes the Nav Map fixes on ship locations aren't visible until the targets are fairly close, which adds to difficulty. I hit one out of fvie shots on a carrier at 1,000 yds, and missed a long shot at a following cruiser. I pegged the destroyers, which I was able to see on radar at a long ways off, travelling at 2300 kts. The carrier I pegged at 18.5 kts with one reading as it was closing fast. I must have been off on its speed, as I missed 4 O'Kane shots at 1,000 yds (I did not have time to verify the soluton on the Attack Map). However, the one torpedo hit the carrier right above its keel (a gorgeous hole, I might add.) The carrier listed but did not go down. I tried to swing north and get ahead of it, as I figured it had slowed down. That is when two dds spotted my boat, and I have been playing hid and seek ever since. Time to return to post after this 10 minute break.

Somebody bring me some coffee. It's going to be a long afternoon.
Old 09-28-09, 11:02 PM   #1391
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted View Post
how can i get the stock merchant names back?
If memory serves correct, file is:

/data/roster/names.cfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post

I have been under the sea at 450 feet in Convoy College in my Gato for two hours, and the dds are 3000 yds off. This is a really tough game.
Somebody bring me some coffee. It's going to be a long afternoon.
(insert evil, mischievous grin here)
Old 09-29-09, 01:18 AM   #1392
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default took a break

I decided to take a break. My boat, a Gato, was plugging along was at 450 ft., and three dd's were +/-1,000 yds away, so I left the computer running. I was in the television room with some friends. After 15 minutes, someone asked, "What is that noise? It sound like bombs going off?" "Oh, its nothing," I replied.

(psst. It was destroyers still hunting my boat.)
Old 09-29-09, 11:03 AM   #1393
JalenTigh
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 9

I just started using 1.7 .. two things... The "New Construction" starts are not showing up... have they been disableed?, and how is everyone diving to whatever depth? My depth gauge only goes to 165...
JalenTigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 12:56 PM   #1394
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Welcome aboard!
Click the area just below your depth gauge-it will then change to the deep gauge.

Sorry, can't help you on your other question.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 01:27 PM   #1395
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalenTigh View Post
I just started using 1.7 .. two things... The "New Construction" starts are not showing up... have they been disableed?, and how is everyone diving to whatever depth? My depth gauge only goes to 165...
IIRC New construction is right down the bottom of the drop down menu (the one where you specify your start date)
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote