SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-20, 06:52 AM   #1351
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Moscow may be introducing hard line measures from friday.

https://translate.google.ru/translat...ex.ru%252Fnews
Old 03-17-20, 07:29 AM   #1352
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Moscow may be introducing hard line measures from friday.
What are thing like there? What are people around you saying about this?
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 07:30 AM   #1353
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

In an unprecedented move of daring courage, initiative and exemplary responsibility, German Außenkasperle Jochen Maas today issued a governmental travel warning.

Could you believe that!
Old 03-17-20, 07:49 AM   #1354
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
I already take a medicine that goofs with my immune system- on purpose.

If anyone gets to panic, I should get head-of-the-line privileges.

But I'm OK with it. I've already dealt with a couple of viruses since last Fall and I'm still here. Yes, this one is new and it will be nasty at first. Kinda. We think?

That's the big issue, the unknown part.
Hopefully, the planet learns something new.

Seasonal flu kills scores. Over the whole year.
This one kills scores, but less thna the flu, but, and that is the bad thing: it kills these in a very short of time. It overloads the health system which cannot deal with it anymore, and cnanot deal with anythign else anymore. And that is when the real dying begins. When peopl reahc out forhelp that would be a normnality to give in good times - and find they get no help and must die of minor things that some weeks ago would hav ebeen easily dealt with, and cured.

One cannot compare this iwth the ordinary flu. The flu does not block the health system, its risks are spread, and static. The risks in corona is amasse din this point of time, and its exploding and somewhat uncalculatable. One compares apples with oranges.

Keep in this mind this:

- 4 in 20 people ave a heavy going fo the desease enforcing hospitalization.

- 1-2 in 20 hang on the life support mahcinery for 2 and a half weeks.
- Already now, the system is many, many places is at its limit. And they do not even already begin with themain film.
- Growht is exponetial.
- are infectous 12-18 hours after exposiiton, and the start to show symptoms not before after 2-12 days, mostly after 5-7 days. That means on Sunday you catch it, and then yo spend Monday, Tuesday, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Friday infecteing peope around you before un saturday you start to feel a mild headache or a dry cough yourself and think "oooopsies, I maybe got it".

The faality rate of this desease so far is frightening. It snot as high as some others bad bigs out there, but taken for itself it is very bad.

We need to keep the numbers of infected people down, we need to slow the ifneciton rate, becasue every fifth of the ifnected must go to hospital and into an ICU, and that is one ICU ujavaalble for the next two and a haklf weeks for everybody and anythign else.

Its antisocial and displays cokplete disragrd for other people if you do nto protect others for yourself, no matter whether yu know you are sick or think you are healthy. You do ot necessarily know that you are sick.

THAT is the reason why everbyody wears those masks in Asia, ETS2. Even a iece of paper would help protecting you, if EVERYBODY wears one, becasue everybody woud, mean: also those not nowing that hey are already spreaders themselves.

Your concern regarding mask hygiene may be what they are, I fo not claim they are princippally wrong, they rent, but they are for a perfect world, and I have one simple argument that trumps them all. Here it is:

If you see no need wanting to wear a mask in situations like this for your own self protection, then I cannot help you.

The first pictuire is one year old, Germany, the second is two days old, Chicaco O Hare.
Old 03-17-20, 07:53 AM   #1355
Skybird
Soaring

The WHO now echoes the French warning to not use Ibuprofen in case of Corona virus fever.
Old 03-17-20, 08:02 AM   #1356
Skybird
Soaring

Lockdown is coming. It must come.

https://translate.google.de/translat...o%2Fa-52802013

And I will comply with it withoht resisting. Becasue I understand the need for it.

In fact it should already be here, it comes way too late, oike so many things they decide. Always late, late, late, late, late. When it comes, it should stay for 4-6 weeks at least. I doubt it will be that long.

Nobody has the courage and the format to stand up and decide it and put his career on the line of fire. They still play tactical games.
Old 03-17-20, 08:06 AM   #1357
Skybird
Soaring

The German boss of the German RKI - the German CDC - drops a bomb buy saying that the actual measures could last for

two years. The risk for German citizens now is officially raised to "High".

Politicians nowm ust follow, I hope. They just must. Curfew must come this week. They have run out of excuses.
Old 03-17-20, 08:21 AM   #1358
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
What are thing like there? What are people around you saying about this?

The streets are fairly empty in the center, people are buying non perishiable foods in the big stores but because I live in city center it pretty much died out as people move to their suburban or country side residences. The general vibe from sunday discussions seems to be that the state is going to react heavily to the crisis. Back then there was some discussion about relative merits of closing down universities (students with nothing to do are not going to maintain self isolation and may get to no good) but now it is clear that those would be locked down till atleast 21st of April.

The nature of the hard line measures is not yet clear and they are said to follow only if there is an increase in infections over the next few days (till friday) but public assemblies above 50 people, public events, schools and universities are closed down already. So I guess we already did the moderate measures and the next logical move is to restrict movement in the city period.

There are also dedicated hospitals deployed to recieve corona specific patients and so on.

Last edited by ikalugin; 03-17-20 at 08:30 AM.
ikalugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 08:53 AM   #1359
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The first human trial of a vaccine to protect against pandemic coronavirus has started in the US.

Four patients received the jab at the Kaiser Permanente research facility in Seattle, Washington, reports the Associated Press news agency.

The vaccine cannot cause Covid-19 but contains a harmless genetic code copied from the virus that causes the disease.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51906604

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 08:55 AM   #1360
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

British nationals should avoid all non-essential foreign travel to tackle the spread of coronavirus, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has advised.

The travel restrictions will be in place for 30 days initially but could be extended, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab told the House of Commons.

The advice reflects the pace at which other countries are bringing in border controls in response to the pandemic.

Meanwhile the Euro 2020 football tournament has been postponed until 2021
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51924405

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 10:37 AM   #1361
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The German boss of the German RKI - the German CDC - drops a bomb buy saying that the actual measures could last for

two years. The risk for German citizens now is officially raised to "High".

Politicians nowm ust follow, I hope. They just must. Curfew must come this week. They have run out of excuses.
Humm actually an effective and tested vaccine is expected in about one year, which counting people who might be immunized by then probably means we should never reach that two year mark.

BUT we have been warned: This is the second time in 10 years that such a disease spreads from China due to the lack of hygienic controls and standards of those appalling wet markets and the massive conglomeration of population in small spaces. Once this all is over, the whole international community must act strongly against China in this regard, it's amazing that the countries that suffered SARS in 2002 didn't already push it in these last years. But now they will have the full support of the international community, either China guarantees health or we should go for a full commercial and persons ban or whatever. Globalization has shown its ugly face clearly, it is on us to put the limit now before the next one is even worse.
Old 03-17-20, 10:55 AM   #1362
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
British nationals should avoid all non-essential foreign travel to tackle the spread of coronavirus, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has advised.

The travel restrictions will be in place for 30 days initially but could be extended, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab told the House of Commons.

The advice reflects the pace at which other countries are bringing in border controls in response to the pandemic.

Meanwhile the Euro 2020 football tournament has been postponed until 2021
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51924405
Let us know when they close your bars and pubs and clubs like they have here in the USA at least in NY and Ohio and LA.

As I remember you have said you have a storage locker full of beer just in case of lock down.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 11:25 AM   #1363
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Is this funny or what? Reminds me of the virus in Wuhan when the citizens were rewarded $145 for telling on their neighbors for having signs of the virus.

In California: Millions locked down; 911 gets calls about neighbors coughing

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in...kwg?li=BBnb7Kz

Quote:
Nearly seven million residents in seven counties must shelter in place to help stop the spread of coronavirus. Elsewhere in the Golden State, people are calling 911 to report coughers.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 11:26 AM   #1364
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-scenario.html

Play god and use the slider to change the outcome or be content with what University of Nebraska public health researcher, Dr. James Lawler, recently presented to hospital executives: 480,000 American deaths over the course of the illness known as Covid-19.

How Coronavirus Deaths Could Compare With Other Major Killers
Cause of death U.S. Deaths

1. Heart disease 655,381
2. Cancer 599,274
3. Coronavirus (estimate) 480,000
4. Alzheimer’s, dementia and brain degeneration 267,311
5. Emphysema and COPD 154,603
6. Stroke 147,810
7.Diabetes 84,946
8. Drug overdoses 67,367
9. Pneumonia/flu 59,690

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 11:42 AM   #1365
Skybird
Soaring

My problem with those estimates, is this:

It seems to not take into account those who die with a health condition that before would have been survived - when these patients do not get treatment because the hospitals capacities and staff have been overwhelmed with Corona patients.

And that is where the high kill ratios are hidden. Covid19 kills itself - and also let's other factors do the killing by preventing hospitals to deal with them.

So FLATTEN THAT DAMN CURVE

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan