Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Going through the inventory list. [...]
Could there be more I need to survive ?
I do not need beer, though I don't drink it-Alcohol intolerance. Markus
Good list, maybe add some sugar, long-life milk, oil for frying, and cocoa? Maybe add some cans/tinned food. Cheap and easy to prepare.
Also you can easily bake bread yourself, with only a few basic ingredients like flour(s). Recipes are all over the 'net, or ask me. But you need yeast and/or baking powder, which is now out of stock here
If you extend it all to power outages maybe some candles, batteries, grain alcohol or something to burn in your Trangia stove, if you have something like that. Petroleum, for p. lamps, matches and so on.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 03-18-20 at 04:15 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-20, 04:37 PM   #1487
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Good list, maybe add some sugar, long-life milk, oil for frying, and cocoa? Maybe add some cans/tinned food. Cheap and easy to prepare.
Also you can easily bake bread yourself, with only a few basic ingredients like flour(s). Recipes are all over the 'net, or ask me. But you need yeast and/or baking powder, which is now out of stock here
If you extend it all to power outages maybe some candles, batteries, grain alcohol or something to burn in your Trangia stove, if you have something like that. Petroleum, for p. lamps, matches and so on.
Thanks for the input.

Baking own bread-is the best way-the thing you need have a long durability, such as flour, sugar and salt. The only thing which doesn't have a long durability is yeast and most people buy the ordinary, this last less than a week, best is to use dried yeast-this has a lot longer durability than ordinary yeast.
Even better is baking soda-this is not as good as dried yeast. but its durability is far longer.

Cans of food is a good idea to..if buying those, then buy cans with content that can be eaten raw.

Secondly and not mentioned before is gardening.

If you have the possibility and this crisis runs into the late summer, then I say you should plant potatoes and carrots and other vegetable in your garden.
If you have a lawn and an area with flowers dig it up-let 1/3 of the flower be there - this is for the bees.

Potatoes, carrot and other vegetable can either be eaten raw or cooked.
And these can be saved in a homemade ditch - formed like a V-place you potatoes in one of these ditches and pour dirt over and they are protected.
Do so with rest of the vegetables.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-20, 05:21 PM   #1488
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

^ Moira bakes nice bread

I was planning a midnight sortie to Tesco tonight until she discovered that they all closed at ten o'clock... bugger! Her friend in the US told her their stores are all closing up at eight, so she thought she'd better check. "If he gets down there and they're shut then he'll do his nut", she said

I ranted to her about the thin veneer of civilisation... how you only have to give it a bit of a rub and it comes clean away, and we're back to the bloody stone-age... that these movies showing people turning into packs of animals are right on the money

"What will you do if I turn into a big animal?" I asked her... "Dress up in something nice, she said"
Old 03-18-20, 05:35 PM   #1489
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon14

^ Best wishes to Moira

^^ @Markus Dried yeast is better than fresh, yes. Just made a loaf with dried yeast that was said to expire in 2006 - still worked w/o problem. The dried yeast cells last forever.
There are lots of different whole grain flours, rye, wheat, buckwheat, spelt, they all work and you can e.g. mix them 50/50. You can add some seeds/crops(?) or hacked nuts for taste, or oatflakes or sunflower seeds for the upper crust, but even without it this bread will taste phantastic. And the ingredients are so cheap..
Since all events in our area have now been abandoned, including baking in an old baking house, we got a lot of fresh yeast and rye flour; they just distributed it for free aourd the folks here so it would not decay.

A garden is of course also great, you will need a big one though to support a family, speaking of hectares here. But even a smaller one will of course add to the supplies. Bees are important, i know..
Tinned food is good when you e.g. get sick and are not able to do hard work for a while.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-20, 05:55 PM   #1490
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

^ One of my biggest interest is baking and I have worked a lot in different Danish and Swedish bakery.

Markus
Old 03-18-20, 05:58 PM   #1491
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Thanks for the input.

Baking own bread-is the best way-the thing you need have a long durability, such as flour, sugar and salt. The only thing which doesn't have a long durability is yeast and most people buy the ordinary, this last less than a week, best is to use dried yeast-this has a lot longer durability than ordinary yeast.
Even better is baking soda-this is not as good as dried yeast. but its durability is far longer.

Cans of food is a good idea to..if buying those, then buy cans with content that can be eaten raw.

Secondly and not mentioned before is gardening.

If you have the possibility and this crisis runs into the late summer, then I say you should plant potatoes and carrots and other vegetable in your garden.
If you have a lawn and an area with flowers dig it up-let 1/3 of the flower be there - this is for the bees.

Potatoes, carrot and other vegetable can either be eaten raw or cooked.
And these can be saved in a homemade ditch - formed like a V-place you potatoes in one of these ditches and pour dirt over and they are protected.
Do so with rest of the vegetables.

Markus
Dont buy flour, but wheat and rye. They last better, are not aes sensitive regarding storage, also, in times of shortages you are more likekly to find corn easily, than flour. And buy an electric and a handmill. The hand mill should have an exchangeable grinder, to grind flour but also to make flakes from oats as well, the better. Flour is impossible to get locally over her,e but complete corn not so much. Put the corns into the refirgerator, -28°C, for two or three days, that should kill or bugs and their eggs, hopefully. Seal it well. I always put one of these tiny paperbags with dehumidifying granulate into the glass or can before I screw it shut and seal it with M3 tape. These alone will get you very far, if you have them in quantity, they have good nutreition values, especially the oats. Add millet, give it the same full freezer treatment, its more multi-purpose in usability, and richer in nutrition value than rice, while beign cooked the same way (in water or in milk). - Why two mills, a manual and an electric one? If you want to make flour, you can manually sit and work on it for hours to get the quantity that you want, here you really prefer an electgric dece, but if electricity is gone, you are sacrewed, so a manual ahndmill/flakes-maker as well. And making oats flakes is by far not a time consuming thinmg if doing it manually.

Possibly a good cooffee mill will work good, too.

Impossible to get yeast in the shops, I found last time I was in shops. Wheat, yeats, noodles, oo paper - all gone. Milk prooducts in general also are out, Gouda cheese medium age, Parmesan, yoghurt. Eggs are very short in supply.

Maybe I start a warehouse thread for preppers next days. It seems we will have plenty of time in the coming weeks. At least quite some of us. Or a bugout bag thread, just for fun. Its entertaining to talk these things. And good ideas are always welcomed.

---

Merkel held a speech. She appeleaed, then there was plenty of pedagogical admonishment and moral educating, and more appealing, and all thsi with her ultra-soft anaconda-strangles-a-baby-very-softly-and-carefully voice for which I additonally dislike her so much. No order. No clear course plotting, just appelaing thjat peope should behave all by themsleves in a wa nmted direciton, jiust so that the state remain to appear sift and tame and all is soft and somewhat uplifting. All that with her usual total absence of authenticity and emotion. Lifeless. Sterile.

Merkel never was a good speaker, but this was some of the worst I have ever heard of her. But media aplalud her and echo the pedagogical and moral appealing.

What relaity htunks of this bull, cnas be seen here: Merkel claimed there is no curfew coming, that it is not wanted, and if we all are welläbehave, firnedly little kids, than why shoukld it be there. Short time later the first town distroict in announced a curfew. I assume somebody was just fed up with the softy-softy moralising and pedagocial educating lesson. There are many exceptions, but still.

Terrible this woman, absolutely terrible. I thought all the time of dead fish lying cold on a stone floor.

I stick to it, curfew is coming, because it has to. It must come. This moral example-setting for the world that seems to be a priority once again in berlin's thinking, must come to an end, the quicker the better.
Old 03-18-20, 06:15 PM   #1492
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Default Wolf is coming or Management of fear.

Following comment is a translated article from a Danish news paper.

The article is pointing at the Danish government and the Danish State. I think it's the same or almost the same in your country.

Start

It is frightening how easily they can deprive people of their freedom if they spreads panic

What we are witnessing right now is a large, sinister political experiment which shows how they in no time can deprive people of their constitutional freedoms,
if they start to scaremongering

It is frightening to witness the behavior of politicians, their terror campaign, the drastic measures, the communication to the population and the flawed impact assessment. The closure of the country, the borders and the introduction of special law with serious interference with the people's constitutional rights.

The entire course of action is extremely critical right from the start, the government has justified its actions with rates of mortality that have not been adequately analyzed but, on the other hand, are uncritically disseminated to the country's population. The WHO's first announcement was that mortality was 3.4 percent.

Professor and virologist Allan Randrup Thomsen urges insanity and explains how the figure is to be understood. He explains, among other things, that the exact death rates cannot be calculated as a percentage of infected people when one does not know the total number of infected people in a given geographical area. As not everyone tests, it is in itself impossible to arrive at an accurate number. The early death rate of 3.4 percent is not true, and both WHO and Professor Allan Randrup Thomsen conclude that the mortality rate is probably between 0.3 and one percent.

It is irresponsible that the Danish government did not take action from the start so that they could have limited the damage. It has been known for months that it is the old and infirm who are severely affected by COVID-19, and they could easily have protected those groups by restricting and controlling access to nursing homes, hospitals and institutions with immunocompromised people. Identifying vulnerable groups and protecting them rather than shutting down an entire country is easier. That would have been an affordable task compared to the one now towering.

At the same time, it is obvious that the approach chosen by the government is bringing out the inner swine in people. It's amazing how easy it is to brilliant by coming up at press conferences and panicking, shutting down an entire country and standing like another country mother and talking to the people about how we must stand together and keep a distance to protect the weak , the old and those with impaired immune system.

The consequences that will follow from the drastic measures taken by the Danish government are completely unclear and hardly anyone can predict how serious they will be. I doubt there has been an actual analysis of the long-term effects on society.

Failure of the elderly and infirm
The hypocrisy in Christiansborg and among those responsible in the regions is extremely colossal, because they were not interested in the old and weak before COVID-19 - the groups have been increasingly failed over the past 30 years. There has been cuts everywhere in the health care and home care sectors. The diet of senior citizens has become poorer with each passing year, personal hygiene assistance has been replaced by a sanitary napkin, and home cleaning is needed.

The elderly have been treated unworthily by changing governments. No government can be relieved to have participated in the cuts.

In addition, politicians have deteriorated working conditions for GPs and other health professionals. Local and regional hospitals have been replaced by scandal-stricken 'super' hospitals, and local emergency services are now lacking.

The health system does not have the capacity to handle the task of the COVID-19 sufferers, the government says, and it is the justification for introducing the emergency law that, among other things, allows the Minister of Health to compulsorily vaccinate and ban major assemblies without involving the Parliament.

The Special Act expires by itself in a year, but no professional expects a vaccine against COVID-19 within a year, so what should a special law on forced vaccination require?

How the special law should be used in practice is probably limited only by the imagination. It leads the idea of a boot at the front door and armbands with markings of the infected. Or maybe we should paint a white cross on the front door like during the plague?

What we are witnessing right now is a huge, great political and social experiment where you can helplessly sit on the sidelines and see what anxiety does to people and how you can in no time deprive people of the freedom to live normally in considerate dealings with his fellow men.

End of article

Markus
Old 03-18-20, 06:18 PM   #1493
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

@ Skybird.

Mel=flour is mostly made of wheat.

I could not remember the exact english word for the Danish word Mel, so I used translate and got flour.

Markus
Old 03-18-20, 06:41 PM   #1494
Skybird
Soaring

The German words are Mehl and Getreide.

I wanted to tell you you should not store or focus on grinded corns=flour, becasue it can rot more easily if stored wreong. Stroe the compelte corns from wheat, rye and oats, and grind them/flake oats when you need them.

Not the white powder, but the origoinal corns are what is to be stored.

Also, you can use them for preparing idnners and lunches, especially wheat. Let it swell, put it into a pan and heat it up, add cheese, some vegetable or meat flakes, some herbs, salt, some Italian spice mixture or whatver, et voilá.

Oats is nice when being cooked in cream and milk with chicken soup and onions, and some vegetable. Cook it untiol it is like a risotto. Delicious, but a calory-bomb, I warn you. Oh, essential spice: Schabziger Klee. We had a thread on that two or three years ago, I forgit the English name. Maybe Rockstar remembers, it was him I told the recipe, at least I think it was him.
Old 03-18-20, 06:51 PM   #1495
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Wrong comment. Had to change it, after having read Skybird's comment a second time

Markus
Old 03-18-20, 07:11 PM   #1496
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Life is now changed. Forever. What was, is not coming back. You are on your own.
More than this ^ there is not to say.

And crude oil - -17.6%...? Now at 22.21 ? As he says, this is gonna destroy whole national economies, national budgets, oil corporations.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-18-20 at 07:22 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-20, 07:11 PM   #1497
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
If millions around the world have already been infected, there would have already been a huge increase in the number of hospitalizations and deaths. As healthcare systems would be instantly overwhelmed, this could not be covered up, so I doubt this is the case (yet).

I think you're making the mistake of assuming that everyone who gets the virus will become severely ill. They have repeatedly said that many people will experience mild symptoms, and perhaps none at all. Obviously these folks are not likely going to be counted with the confirmed cases. What if only one in three that gets the disease gets sick enough to report it? What does that do to the death rate?

Edit: From Mapuc's post above:

Quote:
Professor and virologist Allan Randrup Thomsen urges sanity and explains how the figure is to be understood. He explains, among other things, that the exact death rates cannot be calculated as a percentage of infected people when one does not know the total number of infected people in a given geographical area. As not everyone tests, it is in itself impossible to arrive at an accurate number. The early death rate of 3.4 percent is not true, and both WHO and Professor Allan Randrup Thomsen conclude that the mortality rate is probably between 0.3 and one percent.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-20, 07:41 PM   #1498
Skybird
Soaring

Welcome to war.

Old 03-18-20, 07:43 PM   #1499
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Turn out the lights the party is over in Las Vegas at least

Las Vegas Strip Shut Down Due to COVID-19 Pandemic

https://www.si.com/gambling/2020/03/...onavirus-covid

Quote:
The bright lights of the Las Vegas Strip are shutting down for a minimum of 30 days by order of the state of Nevada. It's most definitely an unnerving moment in history for the world's most iconic gambling destination

15 Las Vegas Strip resorts close Tuesday because of coronavirus

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story...of-coronavirus
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-20, 07:45 PM   #1500
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan