SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-08, 08:20 PM   #11
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
Regarding traffic, you can load up multiple campaign layers for the same date range, then turn on time compression and watch them move within the mission editor. Pause it, then do some rough counts, then multiply by the average group size (assuming you know what that is).

It's then possible to get a rough idea of the shipping volume.

The game engine is actually better at IJN/KM campaigns in many ways than USN ones since it assumes the sort of chatty sub behavior that resulted in the horrible losses suffered by the 2 Axis sub services.

I suppose you'll need loads of special transport missions later on, too.

tater
Thanks Tater, you know I often merge the Campaign.LOC to get correct positions for docks and such, but never really thought about merging more than one RND Layer. It is right there staring me in the face and I never saw it.

We will definately have special transport missions, but I am not going to overload it with them, since it is a game. I am trying to at least send them to areas where they can proceed to a area close by and engage the enemy. 15 'supply' missions in a row would get a bit boring in a game. I'm sure it would IRL too, but I am also sure that some players sink more ships in one patrol then some Japanese did in the entire war. So the 'special' missions will be there but not like stock "engage enemy merchant shipping', even though that is what the Allies did, it gets a bit old after a while and you want to run into a Carrier or a BB for a bit of a change.

We have decided to use the doctrine of sinking Warships as a priority, like the Japanese belief but will also include a mixture of other missions too. There will be a few missions where "Sink Enemy Warships" will be a requirement. But I think the majority will be to sink anything that moves. But I think if I don't mess it up, the Task Force traffic will be coming and going from specific locations, not just wandering around the Pacific. For example if they go to attack Guadalcanal, they go to attack Guadalcanal and return to base. So they won't just be wondering around and you may bump into one now and then. They will be in places that make sense for them to be in.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote