SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-04-24, 08:08 AM   #1786
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCyrus View Post
So this has worked wonderfully thank you a lot The only problem left is that Neutrals still net me negative renown and dont count for tonnage when sinking them,
even though i've changed the Basic.cfg to "Neutrals=1" And started a new Career for it, Any thoughts?
have fun.
and don't let the Brit and American Destroyers ruin your play.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-24, 04:13 AM   #1787
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1789
Uploads: 0
Default Position report format.

When I radio in a position/status report the report acknowledgement comes back with COMSUBPAC. Where can I change that or is there a mod that already does that.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-24, 09:24 AM   #1788
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
When I radio in a position/status report the report acknowledgement comes back with COMSUBPAC. Where can I change that or is there a mod that already does that.
are you referring to the left hand button or the right hand button on the Radio frame?

the right hand button...yes, you can.
the left hand button...no, you cannot. it is baked into the exe/dll framework. call 1-800-Ubi-Cares-Not.

close your eyes and pretend that it is signed Oberkommando der KreigsMarine.

LAA enabled
Old 04-20-24, 09:30 AM   #1789
J0313
Grey Wolf

No it is not baked in because KSD has a completely different message form.

Last edited by J0313; 04-20-24 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-20-24, 03:39 PM   #1790
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
SH4 does not have an en_menu.txt and a de_menu.txt, so you might have to change the default menu.txt file. I might have this incorrect, but there is only the one "COMSUBPAC" entry in the Data /Menu /menu.txt file, so try to edit 4193=COMSUBPAC to 'BdU', or whatever you want, and see if that changes the radio "From:" address display. Other lines in that area of the menu.txt file help build the initial message. The actual body of the messages would come from Data /Campaigns /Campaign /DynamicMiss /ContactReport xx in the respective *.tsr files 'EventX" lines, and which one you get depends upon the situation and the roll-of-the-dice chance.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-24, 02:40 PM   #1791
J0313
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
SH4 does not have an en_menu.txt and a de_menu.txt, so you might have to change the default menu.txt file. I might have this incorrect, but there is only the one "COMSUBPAC" entry in the Data /Menu /menu.txt file, so try to edit 4193=COMSUBPAC to 'BdU', or whatever you want, and see if that changes the radio "From:" address display. Other lines in that area of the menu.txt file help build the initial message. The actual body of the messages would come from Data /Campaigns /Campaign /DynamicMiss /ContactReport xx in the respective *.tsr files 'EventX" lines, and which one you get depends upon the situation and the roll-of-the-dice chance.
Thamks prop. I'll try that out.
Old 04-21-24, 05:37 PM   #1792
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
No it is not baked in because KSD has a completely different message form.
i always forget about Menu.txt.
#blindspot

LAA enabled
Old 04-22-24, 01:35 PM   #1793
J0313
Grey Wolf

Default Successe !

It worked Prop. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-22-24, 05:34 PM   #1794
propbeanie

Old 05-02-24, 12:25 PM   #1795
Abulia
Nub

Downloads: 23
Icon14 French Orders & Australia missions

Hey, long time lurker and LOVE this mod! I stream it pretty often and it's like the best parts of SH3 with the stability of SH4! Runs fantastic!

I have 3 annoying problems in my Type II B-D career that come up frequently:

1. Orders and replies from HQ in French. I play in English and have never adjusted my language settings so this is a weird one. Some orders are correct, some come in French for no discernable reason.

2. Orders don't match patrol grid positions. Orders will tell you to patrol AM55 (for example) but on the plot map your designated position is about an entire grid section away. So the orders don't match what the game UI is telling you. I've learned to do whatever the UI tells me; the orders are just off and wrong.

3. Occasional spy missions to Perth/Freemantle (?) Australia. I'm playing the stock Atlantic game (no other campaigns loaded in JGSME) and it's kind of hilarious that HQ wants me to sail to Australia in my tiny Type II. I obviously can't complete these missions. Any ideas of a fix?

4. (Bonus) I can't add any additional petty officers to my boat, saying I've hit my limit, even if I dismiss a current petty officer on the boat. Anyone know how to get around this bug?

I'm running just the default mod and no other mods. Pretty much a vanilla install. Any tips to fix would be great!
Abulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-24, 08:48 AM   #1796
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Abulia!...finally on the surface after 3 year's
silent running'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-24, 10:32 AM   #1797
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abulia View Post
Hey, long time lurker and LOVE this mod! I stream it pretty often and it's like the best parts of SH3 with the stability of SH4! Runs fantastic!

1. Orders and replies from HQ in French. I play in English and have never adjusted my language settings so this is a weird one. Some orders are correct, some come in French for no discernable reason.

2. Orders don't match patrol grid positions. Orders will tell you to patrol AM55 (for example) but on the plot map your designated position is about an entire grid section away. So the orders don't match what the game UI is telling you. I've learned to do whatever the UI tells me; the orders are just off and wrong.

3. Occasional spy missions to Perth/Freemantle (?) Australia. I'm playing the stock Atlantic game (no other campaigns loaded in JGSME) and it's kind of hilarious that HQ wants me to sail to Australia in my tiny Type II. I obviously can't complete these missions. Any ideas of a fix?

4. (Bonus) I can't add any additional petty officers to my boat, saying I've hit my limit, even if I dismiss a current petty officer on the boat. Anyone know how to get around this bug?

I'm running just the default mod and no other mods. Pretty much a vanilla install. Any tips to fix would be great!
ahoy abulia,

glad you enjoy the mod. i'll try and answer your questions, in order.

1. the main developer for DW is French, ergo, the orders are in French. i translated them for my own enjoyment but never published that as a "fix". if you are interested, let me know.
2. yes, some orders do not match the patrol markers. do what you are doing: follow what you see on the Nav Map.
3. the australian mission is an unexpected feature of SH4. i published a fix for this a while back. if you cannot find it in the MODS forum, let me know.
4. the petty officer limit was not addressed when DW went into production. if you are adept with a text editor such as Notepad, you can make the fix yourself by editing the Submarine.upc file in the \Submarines folder. there are two lines that control the crew limits. one limits officers and CPOs (Maxofficers) and the other limits the crew ranks above level 3 (maxpettyofficers) which is basically all enlisted, CPO and officer. change it before you start a career. i suggest that you create yourself a different MODS folder for JSGME, copy the related folders and files that you want to change into it, make your changes and then apply it last using JSGME.

Good luck, Herr Kaleun!

LAA enabled
Old 05-03-24, 10:39 AM   #1798
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abulia View Post

OK - painting by numbers:
  • 1 - Fifi is French, and used French text. In a translation of the mod, some aspects were missed. A partial fix is from Fritz Klum: Dark Waters Localization Fixes and another is from Kaleun Marco Dark Waters v6 Roster & Equipment Mod. Read their documentation before enabling. You might want to remove portions of each, or combine them. They each fix different things, but I am not remembering what will overwrite what between the two... try installing KM's Roster & Equipment mod first, then Fritz Klum's, and see if that does enough.
  • 2 - That is a function of the grid system in the SH4 game not being part of the Mission Editor used to create the newer assignments. Since the orders are generated by humans typing and the location is guessed at, but the designation for the location on the NavMap is generated by the Mission Editor, you will usually find that the location designated on the NavMap is the actual place to be.
  • 3 - This is mostly fixed in #1 above in KM's fixes.
  • 4 - Those are controlled in the boat's upcge file. So, if you are using a Type IIB, navigate into the "Game \Data \Submarine \NSS_Uboat2b" folder, and open the "NSS_Uboat2b.upcge" file (Open all files) with either Notepad or with Notepad++ and find the lines "MaxPettyOfficers=13" and "MaxOfficers=4" (or similar numbers) on about lines 29 & 30 (mod dependent), and edit those up, to like 24 and 8 or some such. Be sure and save the file as text only. Then you should be able to promote a few of your crewmen.
You will have to clear the Save folder and start a new career for some of the changes to take effect.

Look at that... ole "Speedy Gonzalez" KaleunMarco!!! lol

Old 05-03-24, 10:57 AM   #1799
Abulia
Nub

Downloads: 23

Wow. Thanks KaleunMarco and propbeanie for the swift and detailed response! You have, indeed, identified and pointed me to the correct solutions.

It sounds like KaleunMarco's mod does the bulk of what I need it to do; while I can edit the files for the petty officer limit, I'm not sure if the current limits are "realistic" and am happy to leave them where they're at.

A quick question as to KaleunMarco's mod: can that be applied to an existing career? I'd hate to have to start over. The localization file shouldn't cause any issues. The larger equipment and mission fix I'm more skeptical about. Honestly, getting rid of those Australia missions (and not taking the hit for failing them) is top of my list.

I can live with the UI/mission issue. Not a huge deal.

Thank you both!
Abulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-24, 12:36 PM   #1800
propbeanie

Since his mod does include Flotilla work, along with ship renaming, then I would say "no, you would have to start a new career". If you just include only the "Data \Campaigns \Campaign" files, you would get most of the translation stuff. As for the "hit" from not completing a mission assignment, there is no real "hit" per se. You just do not earn the renown points, which on the average in Dark Waters is less than 200 points. That for the most part, is less than one ship. A DD is worth about 140, while a Northampton CA is worth 500. Small merchants are like the DD, while the large ones are like the Northampton... just sink a couple of ships and you're "even". No penalty involved in ignoring orders in SH4, though following orders is usually an easy way to "earn" 150-300 renown points...