SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-17-22, 02:16 PM   #4366
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1558 Elizabeth I aged 25, ascends the English throne upon death of her half sister, Queen "Bloody" Mary.

1800 Congress holds its 1st session in Washington, D.C. in an incomplete Capitol Building.

1869 Suez Canal in Egypt opens, linking Mediterranean and Red seas.

1922 The last sultan of the Ottoman Empire, Mehmed VI, is expelled to Malta on a British warship.

1970 Douglas Engelbart receives the patent for the first computer mouse.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-22, 01:44 PM   #4367
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1620 The Mayflower reaches Cape Cod and explores the coast.

1919 US Senate rejects the Treaty of Versailles by a vote of 55 to 39; Congress two years later approves resolution ending hostilities with Germany and Austria-Hungary.

1940 First major German air raid on Birmingham - about 440 bombers kill 450

1942 Operation Uranus: Soviet offensive begins during Battle of Stalingrad, 1 million Soviet soldiers encircle the German Sixth Army.

1943 U-536 sinks in Atlantic Ocean.

1950 US General Eisenhower becomes supreme commander of NATO-Europe.

1952 North American F-86 Sabre sets world aircraft speed record, 1124 KPH

1969 Apollo 12's Charles Conrad and Alan Bean become the 3rd and 4th humans on the Moon.

Old 11-19-22, 01:56 PM   #4368
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
1942 Operation Uranus: Soviet offensive begins during Battle of Stalingrad, 1 million Soviet soldiers encircle the German Sixth Army.
Considering the Soviet predilection for rape and pillage as a weapon of war, even now in Ukraine, not a bad name choice for a military operation!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-22, 02:15 PM   #4369
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1815 Second Treaty of Paris: France and her allies agree France will pay indemnities after Battle of Waterloo, ending the Napoleonic Wars.

1917 1st successful tank use in battle, at the Battle of Cambrai in World War I as Britain uses the new technology to break through German lines.

1917 Ukrainian Republic declared.

1941 Adm Nomura & Kurusu hands over Japanese last diplomatic note.

1941 German "auxiliary cruiser" (armed merchant raider) Kormoran sinks near Australia.

1943 U-538 sinks in Atlantic Ocean.

1944 1st Japanese suicide submarine attack (Ulithi Atol, Carolines)

1945 The Nuremberg war trials begin as 24 Nazi leaders are put on trial before judges representing the victorious Allied powers.

1995 Diana, Princess of Wales, admits she cheated on Prince Charles in a TV interview.

Old 11-21-22, 01:52 PM   #4370
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1916 HMHS Britannic sinks in the Aegean Sea after a mine explodes, killing 30 people.

1918 The German High Seas Fleet of 5 battlecruisers, 9 battleships, 7 cruisers and 49 destroyers surrendered to the British Grand Fleet and were shepherded into the Firth of Forth.

1946 Harry Truman becomes 1st US President to travel in a submerged submarine.

1963 US President John F. Kennedy flies to Texas (assassinated the next day)

1967 Vietnam War: American General William Westmoreland tells news reporters: "I am absolutely certain that whereas in 1965 the enemy was winning, today he is certainly losing."

1974 Birmingham pub bombings: 21 civilians killed when bombs explode at two pubs in Birmingham, England (deadliest attack in England during "the Troubles")

2017 Robert Mugabe's resignation after 37 years in power is read out in Zimbabwe's parliaments during impeachment proceedings.

Old 11-22-22, 10:56 AM   #4371
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

1906: the 'S-O-S' distress signal is adopted at the International Radio Telgraphic Convention in Berlin. 1963: famous philandering womanizer, John F. Kennedy, doesn't "get lucky" in the limo's back seat with long-suffering First Lady, Jackie, alongside him in Dallas...Texas. Native Texan Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson is sworn in as POTUS....the next day? Weirdly it's the only event, like most 'Mericans(besides 9/11) that I "can remember where I was" when I heard the news...in art class water-color painting a U-boat in the moonlight; and concluding America might not be such a great country after all... Nothing has dissuaded me since...but it's decidedly "the least worse" on this spinning mudball.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 11-22-22, 12:52 PM   #4372
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
1963: famous philandering womanizer, John F. Kennedy, doesn't "get lucky" in the limo's back seat with long-suffering First Lady, Jackie, alongside him in Dallas...Texas. Native Texan Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson is sworn in as POTUS....the next day?

You forgot to mention that the sun shining brightly on both days. That's even more significant that a sitting VP taking over the presidency the day after his POTUS was assassinated. You think they should have waited a few days to see if JFK came back from the dead or something?

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-22, 01:45 PM   #4373
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1941 British cruiser Devonshire sinks German auxiliary cruiser Atlantis.

1942 Adolf Hitler orders Rommel's Africa Korps to fight to the last man.

1943 British RAF begins air bombing of Berlin, Germany.

1963 US President John F. Kennedy assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald while riding in an open-topped motorcade in Dallas, Texas.

1967 BBC unofficially bans "I Am the Walrus" by Beatles, due to the suggestive lyric “Boy, you've been a naughty girl you let your knickers down."

1971 A member of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) is killed in a premature bomb explosion in Lurgan, County Armagh.

1975 Drummuckavall Ambush: 3 British Army soldiers are killed and one captured when the Provisional Irish Republican Army attack a watchtower in South Armagh, North Ireland.

2005 Angela Merkel becomes the first female Chancellor of Germany.

Old 11-23-22, 11:25 AM   #4374
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
You think they should have waited a few days to see if JFK came back from the dead or something?
a 'few days'?(3)= messiah complex imho?...alas his POTUS cetainly didn't "rise to the occasion!" They had to swear in Lyndon quickly...aboard the airplane, with co-conspirator Jackie looking on, to avoid renaming it: "Air Force Two"...

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-23-22 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-23-22, 02:46 PM   #4375
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1869 The clipper Cutty Sark is launched In Dumbarton, Scotland, one of the last clippers ever built and the only one still surviving.

1942 Chinese steward Poon Lim begins 133 days adrift after British ship SS Benlomond torpedoed by german U-boat and he is the sole survivor.

1942 German 4th & 6th Army surrounded at Stalingrad.

1942 Japanese bombing of Port Darwin, Australia.

1991 Freddie Mercury, 45, confirms he has AIDS the day before he dies.

2019 Sumatran rhino officially declared extinct in Malaysia after last known specimen, 25-year-old Iman, dies of cancer in Sabah, Malaysian Borneo.

Old 11-24-22, 01:12 PM   #4376
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1936 German pacifist Carl von Ossietzky is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for uncovering German re-armament.

1940 The Blitz: Luftwaffe bombs Bristol city centre, killing 200 people in the first German raid on the city.

1944 US bombers based on Saipan begin 1st attack on Tokyo.

1950 UN troops begin an assault intending to end Korean War by Christmas.

1954 Air Force One, 1st US Presidential airplane, christened.

1971 American "Dan Cooper" hijacks plane, extorts $200,000 ransom before jumping out of plane over Washington State, never seen again.

Old 11-26-22, 07:58 AM   #4377
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1778 British explorer Captain James Cook is the first European to visit Maui in the Sandwich Islands (now Hawaii)

1789 1st national Thanksgiving in America.

1914 Battleship HMS Bulwark explodes at Sheerness Harbour, England, 788 die.

1922 English archaeologist Howard Carter opens Tutankhamun's virtually intact tomb in Egypt.

1941 Japanese naval carrier force left its base & moves east toward Pearl Harbor.

1944 Himmler orders destruction of Auschwitz & Birkenau crematoria.

1950 China enters Korean conflict, sends troops across Yalu River.

2003 Supersonic airplane the Concorde makes its last ever flight, returning to Bristol, England.

Old 11-26-22, 11:36 AM   #4378
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Worse yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1914 Battleship HMS Bulwark explodes at Sheerness Harbour, England, 788 die.
1943: The HMT Rohna, a British transport ship carrying American troops is hit by a Henschell 293 "glide bomb", launched from a Heinkel 177A off Algeria's coast. 1138, mostly American soldiers, are killed.

Old 11-27-22, 11:28 AM   #4379
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

1942: during WWII, the Vichy French Navy scuttled its ships and submarines in Toulon to keep them out of German hands. At the onset of the allied invasion of North Africa, Operation Torch, the Nazis launch Operation Anton, essentially removing Vichy as a nominally independent state. French admiral, Gabriel Auphan, correctly surmising the german true intent to commandeer the French fleet, ordered its scuttling. 164 vessels: 3 battleships, 7 cruisers, 18 destroyers, 13 torpedo boats 6 sloops, 9 patrol boats, 18 auxiliary ships, 28 tugs, 39 small ships; all scuttled at a cost of 12 killed and 26 wounded. Considering the effect such a massive material addition to the Kriegsmarine would have made in Nazi domination of the confines of the Mediterranean Sea during the Allied effort against Rommel and resupply/strategic control issues to the AfrikaKorps, this single action ranks as one of the Allies' greatest naval victories of WWII. The key to winning WWII was always keeping Germany a "land animal" unable to "rule the waves".

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-27-22 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-27-22, 02:50 PM   #4380
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1807 Portuguese Royal Family and its court of nearly 15,000 people leave Lisbon for their colony of Brazil to escape invading Napoleonic troops.

1895 Swedish chemist Alfred Nobel's will establishes the Nobel Prize.

1942 French navy at Toulon scuttles ships & submarines so Germans cannot seize them.

1944 4,000 shells detonate in RAF arms depot at Fauld, near Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire; village of Hanbury destroyed, at least 70 people killed.

1945 Trial against Dutch Fascist NSB leader Anton Mussert begins (later convicted and executed by firing squad)

1951 1st rocket to intercept an airplane at White Sands, New Mexico.

1951 Cease-fire & demarcation zone accord signed in Panmunjon, Korea.

1958 USSR abrogates Allied war-time agreements on control of Germany.

1967 French President Charles de Gaulle said 'Non!' to British entry to the European Common Market for the second time.

1975 The Provisional IRA assassinates Ross McWhirter, after a press conference in which McWhirter announced a reward for the capture of those responsible for multiple bombings and shootings across England.