SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-21-22, 09:09 PM   #1
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95
Uploads: 0
Default Weird save issues FOTRS

My saves work fine when I save and resume. Randomly when I save and go through the exit game procedure windows encounters an error. frustrating. So from now on I'm just going to save and resume, then just exit the game. Anyone else this weird issue?
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-22, 10:16 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
My saves work fine when I save and resume. Randomly when I save and go through the exit game procedure windows encounters an error. frustrating. So from now on I'm just going to save and resume, then just exit the game. Anyone else this weird issue?
yes.
sometimes.
but not with this version of FOTRSU.
i cannot remember which mod-set

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-22, 08:38 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
Use JSGME, and click on "Tasks..." then "Export activated mods list to -->" and then "Clipboard". Paste the list into your next posting. Also, what boat are you driving, what port did you sail from, and what is the date? It would also be nice to know your assignment, or is this with ALL exits from the Save dialog? More details, else we cannot diagnose. It would also be best to post issues in the FotRSU thread... All of this information is something we need anytime anyone reports an issue with their FotRSU, else we know not where to look...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-22, 04:36 AM   #4
1Patriotofmany
Commander

I only have Fortus activated(latest version from a clean install). Coming out of Brisbane, Salmon class It's totally random saving and loading both ways. I have fails loading too, but iIf I restart the computer it starts the saved game fine sometimes. The thing is totally random. But thanks I don't think we can narrow it down. All random.
Old 02-23-22, 10:28 AM   #5
propbeanie

Are you "shelling out" to Windows? ie: With the game running, use Alt-Tab or Windows-D or anything to go to the desktop or another app? Do you have much running in the background of the computer (systray) while playing the game? Had you emptied the Save folder prior to using FotRSU? I had four computers (a moment of silence for the recently departed one) running FotRSU, and none had issue as you describe. I don't know about others' experiences, of course. My weakest machine was a Core Duo quad 2.1gHz, 8 gig of ram, 2x 2gig 7200rpm HD, with an nVidia 560Ti. The recently departed was a Core i5 5th gen with 8 gig of ram, a 1TB 5400 HD and onboard Intel HD Graphics, nothing spectacular as far as hardware... ??

Old 02-23-22, 11:11 AM   #6
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Are you "shelling out" to Windows? ie: With the game running, use Alt-Tab or Windows-D or anything to go to the desktop or another app? Do you have much running in the background of the computer (systray) while playing the game? Had you emptied the Save folder prior to using FotRSU? I had four computers (a moment of silence for the recently departed one) running FotRSU, and none had issue as you describe. I don't know about others' experiences, of course. My weakest machine was a Core Duo quad 2.1gHz, 8 gig of ram, 2x 2gig 7200rpm HD, with an nVidia 560Ti. The recently departed was a Core i5 5th gen with 8 gig of ram, a 1TB 5400 HD and onboard Intel HD Graphics, nothing spectacular as far as hardware... ??
Nope I learned not to a while ago thanks to you guys. Yes completely clean install. I've always had problems with saves and loads with vanilla too on numerous computers. It's too random to lock the problem down to anything. Just weird. For example I also will try to load a saved game, it will error out. I'll restart the computer then try again and it will load fine. Using an HP workstation Z620 with two Xeon processors, 96GB ram though neither of those features are used I'm sure, GTX 1070 SS WD blue drive C: with the operating system(win7) and two other standard hard drives E: running a raid 1 with the game on the raid. The saves naturally go to the C: drive in a separate save file for each mod. Just weird how random it is and apparently most of you guys don't have this problem. Annoying. Maybe I'm sinking too many ships?
Old 02-23-22, 03:15 PM   #7
propbeanie

Oh well... you do have plenty of hardware there... If you get the issue with the Stock game also, that is really odd... I don't know if you have ever tried one of those gaming apps such as Razer Cortex Game Booster and similar (there are at least three programs named "Game Booster"), those can be set to temporarily "kill" background apps and then restore them when you exit the game. Those though can cause as much trouble as they solve...

Old 03-30-22, 10:51 AM   #8
DaveR
A-ganger

Downloads: 190

yes. but didn't have any problems until updated to salmon class sub. first mission CTD on launch. reloaded and started ok. but when I exited, CTD(?)... and consistently does it.

however, just discovered that sub doesn't have full crew, no rear torp loaders. have rear mounted 3" gun, but management say's bow gun. haven't fixed it yet.

which reminds me, tried to put rear gun on last sub, didn't work. swear I loaded save; but then, when started mission, come to find out, later in the game, crew couldn't man the gun. at least, could man it myself.
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-22, 10:40 AM   #9
propbeanie

You have unintended mod soup DaveR.
1. The game has to be installed or copied to a folder of your own creation outside of any Windows "Program Files" folder (ie: C:\Games)
2. The "Save" folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4) MUST be emptied prior to playing the modded game
3. The game needs to have the 4Gig Patch or LAA properly applied to it
See the first post in the FotRSU REL thread, the download page, or any one of a number of pdf files in the mod's Support folder for more details. Also, it is better to post troubles in the mod REL thread so issues can be more easily tracked.