SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-22-22, 04:05 AM   #1
Philburt
Nub

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Queries returning to SH 3 - Help requested :)

Hi, I’m returning to SH3 after many years and now have the option of playing from disc on Win10 or playing on Steam.
Can anyone please explain the pros and cons of both?
I feel like I need to add mods to get the best experience, but not sure if I can mod successfully in Steam?
I’ve heard the disc version won’t play under Win10, but wondered if there are work arounds and, if so, can I still mod?
Thanks in anticipation…

Phil

Last edited by Philburt; 06-22-22 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Typo
Philburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-22, 06:34 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Do you happen to know what version of the disk game you have Philburt? Maybe what year you purchased the disk? If it's a relatively "new" v1.4.0.1, then you will not have any issue with it, so long as you start the installer manually and use "Run as administrator" to start it (right-click context menu). Install the game in a folder you create (such as "C:\Games..."). Do not use the installer's default of "C:\Program Files (x86)\..." else you will have trouble with adding mods. The Starforce (copy protection) version of the game (initial release and v1.2??) have issue running on the "modern" computer and OS.

The Steam version does mod OK also, other than I have issues getting a wide screen mod to function correctly on top of some mega-mods on a Steam copy on my computer, whereas with the disk and Ubisoft download versions I have do not have issue with them. I also have troubles with the h.sie and Stiebler patches on the Steam game. I am sure there are others that do not encounter that issue, but on my machine, they do not like the Steam SH3.exe file. One work around is to substitute my disk SH3.exe for the Steam file, and all is golden.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-22, 06:55 AM   #3
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 588
Uploads: 30

Hi Philbert you have a Pm Sir
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-22, 11:30 AM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar Re: Welcome aboard...

Philburt.!
Old 06-22-22, 03:05 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Philburt!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 03:30 AM   #6
Philburt
Nub

Default Progress made :)

Propbeanie, thanks for the prompt response ��
In the meantime, I’ve made some progress.
I’ve installed vanilla SH3 at 1.0 from disc and updated to v1.4. ☑️
I’ve then run the approved ‘patch’ to nerf the Starforce protection ☑️
Next, I downloaded LSH3 2015 ☑️
Finally I downloaded Grey Wolves 3.0 Gold☑️
My understanding is that these are all compatible?
Everything seems to run fine, but I still have a query
I don’t know which .exe file to run to start the game!? Lol
If I run the “LSH3” file I get what I think is the correct new version of the game with pop up co2 and battery gauges in the bottom middle of screen, but don’t know if I have the GWX and Commander mod features? How do I check?
If I run the “SH3 with GWX 3.0 Gold” file I get another version of the game that has the old interface but has the drag down wooden stopwatch which isn’t in the other version? Is this from a mod too?
I’m a bit confused which .exe I should run and how to tell if LSH3 2015, GWX and the Commander mod are all present?
Grateful in advance for any guidance ����

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Do you happen to know what version of the disk game you have Philburt? Maybe what year you purchased the disk? If it's a relatively "new" v1.4.0.1, then you will not have any issue with it, so long as you start the installer manually and use "Run as administrator" to start it (right-click context menu). Install the game in a folder you create (such as "C:\Games..."). Do not use the installer's default of "C:\Program Files (x86)\..." else you will have trouble with adding mods. The Starforce (copy protection) version of the game (initial release and v1.2??) have issue running on the "modern" computer and OS.

The Steam version does mod OK also, other than I have issues getting a wide screen mod to function correctly on top of some mega-mods on a Steam copy on my computer, whereas with the disk and Ubisoft download versions I have do not have issue with them. I also have troubles with the h.sie and Stiebler patches on the Steam game. I am sure there are others that do not encounter that issue, but on my machine, they do not like the Steam SH3.exe file. One work around is to substitute my disk SH3.exe for the Steam file, and all is golden.
Old 06-23-22, 06:09 PM   #7
propbeanie

If your disk is a StarFarce - er... StarForce disk, then see what blackswan40 can direct you to in that PM he sent. He is a wiz at helping folks in that regard. In the meantime, you cannot do two supermods at the same time in the same SH3 install.

Uninstall your current SH3, then re-install it to a folder of your own making, as suggested above. Leave that install alone for future use as a known-good back-up. If you want to, you could create an archive file (7-zip, WinZip, whatever), and then use that to make your other "installs" by making another folder (or two or three) and then paste a copy of your original SH3 install, or the archive in there. Unzip if necessary, and mod that copy. You would have to make your own short-cuts to the SH3.exe file. If you do more than one copy for doing another large mod, then you would need to use MultiSH3 to create new Save folders for each of the other copies of the game. Be sure and read up on the use of that and ask questions if there is any doubt in your mind of how to do it.

Old 06-24-22, 01:57 PM   #8
patfly
Watch

Downloads: 0

The steam version is not modable.
patfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 02:57 PM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfly View Post
The steam version is not modable.
I can indeed verify, that... if done properly... that SH3 from Steam... can indeed... be modded.

M. M.
Old 06-25-22, 12:55 AM   #10
patfly
Watch

Do tell?
Old 06-25-22, 01:22 AM   #11
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Do tell?
Interested... where pray tell, do you have SH3, much less Steam itself... installed.

Am going to guess that you probably followed the all too common, default install path of C:\Program files or C:\Program files (x86), in all likelihood.

Following that install path, will invariably, make it that SH3 (much less any other game, for that matter)... unmoddable, seeing as how Window's terroristic watchdawg, UAC... will then gut any attempt to mod your game... flat out.

I do NOT have either Steam's launcher, nor the subsequent Steam's "Games" library, installed in there... instead, setting them up elsewhere... out of UAC's... terror-tory.

That, is how I know that Yes... SH3 from Steam, can be modded.

I have done so, with LSH3 2015, GWX, WAC v5 & CCoM mod sets.

M. M.
Old 06-25-22, 07:16 AM   #12
patfly
Watch

So it goes, I really should kill everything steam related- annoying bit of prog.
Old 06-25-22, 08:39 AM   #13
propbeanie

Naw, it works OK, you just have to coddle it, hold its hand, lead it around by the hand as you whisper sweet nothings into its ear, to have it do what you want it to... - but it does work, just uh - 'differently'...

Old 06-25-22, 09:42 AM   #14
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
So it goes, I really should kill everything steam related- annoying bit of prog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Naw, it works OK, you just have to coddle it, hold its hand, lead it around by the hand as you whisper sweet nothings into its ear, to have it do what you want it to... - but it does work, just uh - 'differently'...

*sighs* No, not all is lost.

It... is possible, to work around, but... as propbeanie said, it does take a lot of work to do.

There is... a middle ground compromise... though I prefer the slash & burn methodology.

I use Steam, & at latest count... have 31 games that I can access & play, at any given moment of My choosing.

Of those... though, NOT all of those 31, are installed. Only... 12 are... currently.

Now...

on to a workable compromise. (THIS... pertains to just the "Games Library portion, thereby, leaving the Launcher right where it is. I chose to undergo the more complete process of snatching the whole deal from out of UAC's terroristic Drath Vader, Vulcan, King Kong death grip... )

If you have a bit of games in your library, be aware... that it will be a rather lengthy... process of shifting the library out of UAC's "terror-tory" & into a more neutral one.

On that side shifting process I shall defer to propbeanie or one of the other sub simmers here, who have more... extensive... experience in that methodology.

My methodology, is more... direct, & painful... like... ripping a Band-Aid off a wound.

Slash & burn... make note of what games are installed... if you are like Me & have access to a lot of games, just not all installed... then that should not be a very long list... the biggest time cost will be, in the reinstall process... if you go to do an... all in a 1 shot reinstall.

It can be simpler, to go for the ones you know you're more... apt to play more oft... & just work on reinstalling the others on an... as need basis... or do a couple at a time, in between gaming on the more played ones on that list.

Your choice on how to go from there.

After that, is but a simple process to then... decide just where out of UAC's terror-tory, you wish to set up the NEW Steam Games Library... & then, set it up.

Once done... then begin the process of reinstalling those games you noted of that were previously... installed.

Final step... nuclear vaporize the old Library & make sure to nuke it from Steam's Library locations list, as well... ensuring that the NEW location is ear marked so that Steam Launcher & store... know to send any new games to there... & with that...

Done.

Just know... that UAC... is NOT your friend.... it's more of... a rabid pit bull... without a brain.

Hope this helps... clarify things.

M. M.
Old 06-26-22, 03:37 PM   #15
Philburt
Nub

Many thanks to all of you who came to my assistance
I have followed the advice to avoid, at least for now, the Steam route.
I will set up a safe, fall back copy of vanilla SH3 v1.4 and run each super mod from copies of this.
Thanks again and happy trails!

Tags
dvd, mods, neewbie, sh3, steam