SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-04-22, 10:25 AM   #16
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post
I like the Type IX, use it a lot, but it is a real slow pig when crash diving. Has a clunky feel to it. It seems that you could send your kid off to Kindergarten and get to 20 meters by the time they graduate college.

To help with the diving time, I run with decks awash when conditions permit, It shaves off a few seconds so. I don't like using radar, I feel it is more of a attract-er for trouble, but I feel it evens things up game wise with aircraft if visual sighting is utilized. As John said, the aircraft can be inaccurate when dropping bombs.

It is great for hunting single merchantmen or off the coast of USA for tankers and the Kapstadt Kampaign in the South Atlantic.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295
I too... like the IX, as well. Namely for its longer sea legs & that it holds more torps than the VII's or the II's do.

Just as you do, I too, run decks awash, having set the subs up (been a bit since I looked into that area so can't recall the exact file in the uboats depth setting for what's considered surfaced & at what depth kicks in the e motors ) to do just that... as that was & was used as a viable tactic.

Heck, Fubar... send 'em off to kiddie garden & graduated college... feels more like to me, kiddie garden-graduated & had k schoolers themselves aka gran kids... before ya hit 20 meters, Myself... to be frank about it... but, yeah... it does take an exuberant amount of time for it to claw to the depths... compared t it's smaller, more agile kin.

Think I timed it once, just to see if the dive time was... accurate on going from full out surfaced to peri depth... & wasn't shocked to find... it was waaaayyyyy of base. took something like 5-10 seconds longer than they were supposed to, at minimum. If I have it right, the time is only slower than the VII by about 3 to 5 seconds... & most mod sets I have, the VII's like oops... aircraft... pop the cork... bam, submerged lickety split... almost as fast as a II's time... the IX... same scenario... oops aircraft, pop the cork.... & (que cheesy elevator music to hang oneself by....) aircraft attacks, drops bombs, strafes ya... drops some more bombs or DC's if it's so equipped... & strafes ya some more... in all the time, while you're wallowing about like a addled whale... blundering about... lost in a daze.... before ya submerge.

Can't believe that someone, hasn't investigated that... & offered up a fix on getting dive times right... I would, if... IF... I knew just what files it was that controlled that aspect.

If it is a .val/.dat/.zon... or anything related... forget about it... don't have the knowledge, items needed, or the time to attempt to learn them now... old dawgs & new tricks... move along... BUT... if it is like... .cfg or similarly related... then, I am quite capable of tweaking it or making tweaks to it.

I know My limitations... thanks.

M. M.
Old 04-04-22, 10:53 AM   #17
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Well the IX's were slow pigs, so decreasing their dive times may not be "realistic" if that matters. One of the reasons they were early on taken off of convoy duty.
But if you want to change dive times I'm sure it easy to do but would probably require S3D. I don't know what file controls it but it wouldn't take long to find it, so if you have some dive time in mine let me know and I'll change it for you.
Old 04-04-22, 11:03 AM   #18
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
I too... like the IX, as well. Namely for its longer sea legs & that it holds more torps than the VII's or the II's do.

Just as you do, I too, run decks awash, having set the subs up (been a bit since I looked into that area so can't recall the exact file in the uboats depth setting for what's considered surfaced & at what depth kicks in the e motors ) to do just that... as that was & was used as a viable tactic.

Heck, Fubar... send 'em off to kiddie garden & graduated college... feels more like to me, kiddie garden-graduated & had k schoolers themselves aka gran kids... before ya hit 20 meters, Myself... to be frank about it... but, yeah... it does take an exuberant amount of time for it to claw to the depths... compared t it's smaller, more agile kin.

Think I timed it once, just to see if the dive time was... accurate on going from full out surfaced to peri depth... & wasn't shocked to find... it was waaaayyyyy of base. took something like 5-10 seconds longer than they were supposed to, at minimum. If I have it right, the time is only slower than the VII by about 3 to 5 seconds... & most mod sets I have, the VII's like oops... aircraft... pop the cork... bam, submerged lickety split... almost as fast as a II's time... the IX... same scenario... oops aircraft, pop the cork.... & (que cheesy elevator music to hang oneself by....) aircraft attacks, drops bombs, strafes ya... drops some more bombs or DC's if it's so equipped... & strafes ya some more... in all the time, while you're wallowing about like a addled whale... blundering about... lost in a daze.... before ya submerge.

Can't believe that someone, hasn't investigated that... & offered up a fix on getting dive times right... I would, if... IF... I knew just what files it was that controlled that aspect.

If it is a .val/.dat/.zon... or anything related... forget about it... don't have the knowledge, items needed, or the time to attempt to learn them now... old dawgs & new tricks... move along... BUT... if it is like... .cfg or similarly related... then, I am quite capable of tweaking it or making tweaks to it.

I know My limitations... thanks.

M. M.
Historically the Type IX was slow in submerging, so I am not tempted to try and adjust the dive time, just do the best I can.

I seem to remember that it took about 37 seconds to get submerged with the IX, where the Type VII is about 28 seconds. Those extra seconds can make a difference. If I think about it next time I will give them a timing.

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-22, 11:09 AM   #19
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Well the IX's were slow pigs, so decreasing their dive times may not be "realistic" if that matters. One of the reasons they were early on taken off of convoy duty.
But if you want to change dive times I'm sure it easy to do but would probably require S3D. I don't know what file controls it but it wouldn't take long to find it, so if you have some dive time in mine let me know and I'll change it for you.
Would think of noting what the dive time is.. with the VII, then... adjusting the time on the IX, to.. say get it in the 3-5 sec's longer ballpark, would then do it John... to have it more in line with what the IX's dive time was... thanks.

S3D, would be in that list of what I have no experience with, access to & nor the time to attempt to learn to use. So, if you'd care to take a stab at that... much obliged & know that I for 1... would appreciate the effort put in to do so.

M. M.
Old 04-04-22, 11:13 AM   #20
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post
Historically the Type IX was slow in submerging, so I am not tempted to try and adjust the dive time, just do the best I can.

I seem to remember that it took about 37 seconds to get submerged with the IX, where the Type VII is about 28 seconds. Those extra seconds can make a difference. If I think about it next time I will give them a timing.
If I recall rightly... the II's time to submerge, was 25 seconds... give or take... the VII's was 30, & the IX's was about 3 to 7 seconds behind the VII's dive time... overall.

As for the e boats... the XXI & XXIII's, not sure... as I haven't really researched or thought to, on their dive time rates.

M. M.
Old 04-04-22, 11:22 AM   #21
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Would think of noting what the dive time is.. with the VII, then... adjusting the time on the IX, to.. say get it in the 3-5 sec's longer ballpark, would then do it John... to have it more in line with what the IX's dive time was... thanks.

S3D, would be in that list of what I have no experience with, access to & nor the time to attempt to learn to use. So, if you'd care to take a stab at that... much obliged & know that I for 1... would appreciate the effort put in to do so.

M. M.
Ok I'll take a look at it later today. Sea state affects dive time too but a general number will work.
Old 04-04-22, 06:07 PM   #22
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Ok I'll take a look at it later today. Sea state affects dive time too but a general number will work.

Appreciated, thanks.

M. M.
Old 04-04-22, 06:21 PM   #23
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

M.M., you have a pm.
Old 04-04-22, 08:00 PM   #24
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
M.M., you have a pm.
Ok... uhm, not to sound dense... but where... here on subsim or discord... as... I'm not seeing any notifications for a pm, John...

M. M.
Old 04-04-22, 08:40 PM   #25
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Ok... uhm, not to sound dense... but where... here on subsim or discord... as... I'm not seeing any notifications for a pm, John...

M. M.

Ah, ok. Here. Maybe your profile isn't set up for notifications.
Anyway, I've found how to change the dive speed (I think) but I need the sub file(s) of any sub(s) you want changed.
I.e., it won't do any good if I change them on install version x if you're using install version y.
So send me the .sim files from any sub you want changed or tell me what mod you're going to use them with. It's found in each subs folder; data\submarine\sub x, etc.
If you have a mediafire account that'll work or if they're in one particular megamod let me know and I'll just grab them from there.
Old 04-04-22, 10:14 PM   #26
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Ah, ok. Here. Maybe your profile isn't set up for notifications.
Anyway, I've found how to change the dive speed (I think) but I need the sub file(s) of any sub(s) you want changed.
I.e., it won't do any good if I change them on install version x if you're using install version y.
So send me the .sim files from any sub you want changed or tell me what mod you're going to use them with. It's found in each subs folder; data\submarine\sub x, etc.
If you have a mediafire account that'll work or if they're in one particular megamod let me know and I'll just grab them from there.
http://https://www.mediafire.com/fil..._files.7z/file

Included a small read me, on them & many thanks, John... I appreciate this.

M. M.
Old 04-05-22, 06:53 AM   #27
pegasusairandspace
Swabbie

Downloads: 38

So just ignoring CCOM for a minute as Imma still wait until I finish my current patrol first (don't want to screw anything up), without it, aircraft are by default fairly uncommon by default during 41? Seeing as how it is driven through the airstrike cfg, I haven't changed it so the behaviour wouldn't be affected? Truth is that I'm asking as It has been a while. My first couple of patrols saw a few aircraft and even several attacks on one patrol. But lately I just noticed I hadn't been attacked much. So is this really just a lucky spell perhaps? I might run a test and put a boat out there and time skip and see what happens.

Actually that's a point, the airstrike config. By default, the unmodified probability (allowing for transmissions etc) is set to 10%. But when it says 10% over what time period before the next roll of the dice?
pegasusairandspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 07:59 AM   #28
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That is the
Logic Steps Between Air Sessions=20 ;[>0] steps between air fighting sessions, 10*Logic Interval(90sec)
line at the bottom of the file. The "math" in this GWX example is the 20 times 90 for 1800 logic seconds (30 minutes) x 10 = 18000 seconds, or 300 minutes, which is a chance every five hours, based upon the percentages in the lines above. Most airbases have multiple airplanes though, and many bases overlap other bases's territory, so your odds can be rather high of seeing a plane, unless the modders also reduced the number of planes and AirGroups available at some of the airbases..

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 10:01 AM   #29
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
http://https://www.mediafire.com/fil..._files.7z/file

Included a small read me, on them & many thanks, John... I appreciate this.

M. M.

Dead link M.M.
Old 04-05-22, 10:06 AM   #30
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

It will never be the same with different patrols. I.e., you could do ten patrols with the same parameters (date, location, etc.) and get numerous different results.

Tags
question