SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-17-21, 06:55 PM   #1
EnigmaMan
Watch

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0
Default GWX Sub Upgrade

In the newest GWX, which is GWX 3 GOLD (I think), I cant help but see that, along with all the upgrades and stuff that you can get for your sub, I never see the engines. Is there a way to get the other engine types\upgrades?

The description talks about how the one you have is the super gear charger, or something like that, and then there is the type with a exhaust.
EnigmaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 10:26 PM   #2
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaMan View Post
In the newest GWX, which is GWX 3 GOLD (I think), I cant help but see that, along with all the upgrades and stuff that you can get for your sub, I never see the engines. Is there a way to get the other engine types\upgrades?

The description talks about how the one you have is the super gear charger, or something like that, and then there is the type with a exhaust.

GWX correctly models that u-boats came from the factory already equipped with a supercharger, hence the reason they can't be purchased in the game.
GWX also adjusts the subs speeds to reflect this fact.
Old 06-18-21, 10:55 PM   #3
EnigmaMan
Watch

That makes sense.

It just seems weird to only have the one option, when it talks about there three others to choose from, or something like that. In the original base game, the one or two others would show up as options to choose from.
Old 06-19-21, 12:32 AM   #4
EnigmaMan
Watch

I guess I just don't understand, why take out the other engines that were available at that time, and in the base game?

Last edited by EnigmaMan; 06-19-21 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-19-21, 08:17 AM   #5
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaMan View Post
I guess I just don't understand, why take out the other engines that were available at that time, and in the base game?
They're not taken out; the sub models in GWX are made to represent them as is. Can't remember the page, but the details are mentioned in the manual.
Old 06-19-21, 12:03 PM   #6
Alba1876
Swabbie

Downloads: 134

From page 49 of the manual:

Superchargers were not an optional U-boat ―engine upgrade‖ in the way stock Silent Hunter III portrays them, since U-boat diesel engines already had superchargers when shipyards installed the engines during construction. Almost all Type VIIB, VIIC, and VIIC/41 U-boat diesel engines, manufactured by Friedrich Krupp Germaniawerft AG (GW), had a built-in Kapselgebläse (―geared supercharger‖); 8 Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg (MAN) AG built the diesel engines used by Type IX U-boats, and installed a Buchigebläse (―exhaust-driven supercharger‖). 9 The Type VIIC/42, had it been built, was to have used the MAN Buchigebläse, but these engines were diverted to the Type XXI U-boat program when the Type VIIC/42 was cancelled.

The premise of engine upgrades in stock Silent Hunter III was that installing a supercharger would make the U-Boat go faster at a small cost in fuel economy; however, U-boats were already running at their top historical speeds, so installing the upgrades allows player U-Boats go faster than in real life, as well as reducing the U-boat‘s fuel economy. The baseline speeds of all U-boats already reflected the presence of diesel superchargers, so the GWX Team has eliminated any special advantages from engine upgrades rather than remove them from the game entirely. Superchargers will appear by default in those U-boats that had them historically, and at no cost to the player, but neither will U-boats go faster in the game than they did in real life. The Type VIIC/42 U-boat in GWX uses Krupp GW superchargers on the assumption that the Kriegsmarine construction office has diverted all MAN superchargers to the higherpriority Type XXI construction program, as happened historically.
Alba1876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 10:57 PM   #7
EnigmaMan
Watch

Oh okay, I didn't know the manual explained all that. That is really cool to find out. Thank you for letting me know.

Tags
gwx 3.0, silent hunter 3