SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-06-21, 07:56 AM   #1
aks2161989
Nub

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Why is SH3 considered the best of the series?

I recently started playing SH3, but I have noticed that newer versions like SH4 and 5 have been released over the years. However, I see people commenting everywhere on the web, that "SH3 was the best Silent Hunter in the entire series".

I haven't played the other versions so I wouldn't know. Won't the later versions have better graphics, etc?

Why is SH3 considered the best?

Last edited by aks2161989; 06-06-21 at 08:35 AM.
aks2161989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-21, 12:06 PM   #2
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

My guess would be the Mods for SH3.
SH4 and SH5 kind of became the step children that suffered from not enough attention.

That is changing and has been changing for years.
Another issue is animation work is very different for each series.

That is about to change!
Old 06-08-21, 12:42 AM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Mods hands down

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 06:05 AM   #4
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2161989 View Post
I recently started playing SH3, but I have noticed that newer versions like SH4 and 5 have been released over the years. However, I see people commenting everywhere on the web, that "SH3 was the best Silent Hunter in the entire series".

I haven't played the other versions so I wouldn't know. Won't the later versions have better graphics, etc?

Why is SH3 considered the best?
Each of these games came buggy and underwhelming out of the box. SH3 received most attention from modders who, over the years, turned it into a real gem. SH4 and especially SH5 (which was not only buggy, but hard to mod due to different 3d models format) were not as fortunate so far though both have real potential and active mod projects.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 01:53 PM   #5
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

The best is Aces of the Deep. That’s the one that got it right straight out of the box. Next would be SH1, then SH3. There was a solid modding community with SH2, but modding took off with SH3.
Old 06-22-21, 03:10 AM   #6
Seademon
Seaman

Downloads: 4
Default Why silent hunter ?

silent hunter 3 has sound bugs and issues but you can get over that if you remember to save regularly.

Silent hunter 2 had potential with destroyer command but after sony acquired the game license and screwed it over , it took the community to fix it and then it was not well supported.

but compared to 4 and 5, it has the hardest crew management system i.e. the most enjoyable to play.
The american boat was all automatic in a way and they had 3 shifts etc, so they just clocked over to the next one.

SH3 was more individual crew member management and damage control as well so it made it more interesting because at the heart of the game, it is a resource management game, crew and boat and ammunition.

Compared to the GWX mod its fairly easy but its good to break your teeth on.
I cracked 2 dvd's from overheating it in the drive from playing it long periods till getting the steam version and ive played over 500 hours on that but it was the only solution to that and i still play it. Its one of my favourite games and yes it has some good mods if you want to go that way. Changing the officers pics to the ones in das boot is kinda amusing. Not a game you will get sick of in a hurry and when you put it down for other games, I always seem to come back to it whereas others i dont.

There is a lot of maps out there to made by the community, up to about 200, so it would never be boring if you like that kind of resource management strategy game. its basically 3d chess

Seademon

"Damn the torpedoes. Go ahead, full speed" RDML Farragut

Last edited by Seademon; 06-22-21 at 03:29 AM.
Seademon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison, silent hunter 3, silent hunter 4, silent hunter 5