SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-29-20, 02:25 PM   #1
RacKri
Nub

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
Support The Kiel Canal

Having been dragged back from the bottom to a shiny new sub after many years, I reinstalled my steam versions of SH3,4 & 5. Installed GWX and proceeded to wreak havoc on the high seas (Not )
I left Kiel using the GWX Kiel Out without a problem, well OK I moved forward manually and forgot to hit the Navigator to follow preplaned route hit the far side of Kiel Harbour and had to start a new career. (Record for the shortest career? 60secs) On my second attempt I got out without a problem.
4 weeks 6000 tonnes and an 8 tonne sloop later I set a course for Kiel using the Kiel canal in, and very nearly ran aground and destroyed another career. Got away with it just.
Anyway, looking at the course it follows the Kiel canal but about 100m onshore, is there anyway to adjust this back onto the water or will I just have to manually plot a course for my return trip from now on?
Sorry if this has been posted before but my search function seems to be having a day off.
Cheers Rach.
RacKri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 02:59 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

RacKri!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 04:07 PM   #3
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacKri View Post
Anyway, looking at the course it follows the Kiel canal but about 100m onshore, is there anyway to adjust this back onto the water or will I just have to manually plot a course for my return trip from now on?
Sorry if this has been posted before but my search function seems to be having a day off.
Cheers Rach.
First, welcome to Subsim!

I'm pretty sure that if you want to change all the waypoints as they are all onshore, or just a select few, you would have to manually plot it. I haven't played SH3 for a while and my memory is a little foggy.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 05:11 PM   #4
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 206

Default Don't do that!

I know it looks bad on the map, but the waypoints for Kiel In and Out are correct. I did that very thing, "fixed" the errant waypoints, many moons ago and ran aground (catastrophically!) in the Kanal every time afterward.

It sounds like you made one common error...the preplanned routes start in the Kanal after you've completed getting through the locks at Holtenau and Brunsbuttel. Did you manually navigate to the first waypoint in the Kanal and then apply the "auto-pilot" course generator?

You should not conn your boat close to the initial waypoint and then select the "auto-pilot"...you can get lucky and that works sometimes, but it's better by far to manually put down waypoints to the preplanned tracks' initial points and then activate the "auto-pilot" track.

Hope this helps...get out there and sink 'em all!
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 07:56 AM   #5
FeatsOfStrength
Gunner

Downloads: 25

The Kiel canal is a waste of time in my opinion, whilst it's shorter on the map the one time I tried navigating it the maximum time compression was x4 so using it takes much longer than going around north of Denmark and using the pre-set navigation I left the boat going and it crashed into another ship.

Unless your role playing there's no benefit to using it in my opinion
FeatsOfStrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 08:22 AM   #6
foo_jam2002
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatsOfStrength View Post
The Kiel canal is a waste of time in my opinion, whilst it's shorter on the map the one time I tried navigating it the maximum time compression was x4 so using it takes much longer than going around north of Denmark and using the pre-set navigation I left the boat going and it crashed into another ship.

Unless your role playing there's no benefit to using it in my opinion
I totally agree, i go up north too and doing so, i spot norwegian ships for the taking.
foo_jam2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gwx 3.0, kiel canal, sh3