SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-20, 01:22 PM   #1
ScumDrumCity
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Icon9 Black Triangles on horizon SH3

Hey everybody. I'm trying to get a stable modded version of SH3 working and i'm having a hell of a time figuring out this last little bug. There is a visual glitch in the haze layer in the sky. It looks like black triangles that extend up from the horizon. They're most visible in the haze at the horizon and they reduce in transparency as they go up into the sky. It's most visible at dusk or dawn, although it is also visible during the day or night. I had GWX installed and a bunch of other mods with the JSGME, but I've removed them and the problem persists. I had one play session where they were gone, but now i've restarted the game they are back again and I cannot get rid of them. Tried playing around with the AA settings in my graphics drivers to no effect. There was a thread back in 2007 where they suggested increasing the horizon ZMax in scene.dat but I cannot find this value in the silent3editor. Anybody have any clue as to how to fix this? It's pretty distracting.

Might try one more time to mod a clean version of SH3 before I give up and move to a different game. I liked SH3 though because it runs so nicely on my laptop and because it looks the coolest of the subsim games. But the time involved with modding is getting out of hand.
ScumDrumCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 02:53 AM   #2
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumDrumCity View Post
Hey everybody. I'm trying to get a stable modded version of SH3 working and i'm having a hell of a time figuring out this last little bug. There is a visual glitch in the haze layer in the sky. It looks like black triangles that extend up from the horizon. They're most visible in the haze at the horizon and they reduce in transparency as they go up into the sky. It's most visible at dusk or dawn, although it is also visible during the day or night. I had GWX installed and a bunch of other mods with the JSGME, but I've removed them and the problem persists. I had one play session where they were gone, but now i've restarted the game they are back again and I cannot get rid of them. Tried playing around with the AA settings in my graphics drivers to no effect. There was a thread back in 2007 where they suggested increasing the horizon ZMax in scene.dat but I cannot find this value in the silent3editor. Anybody have any clue as to how to fix this? It's pretty distracting.

Might try one more time to mod a clean version of SH3 before I give up and move to a different game. I liked SH3 though because it runs so nicely on my laptop and because it looks the coolest of the subsim games. But the time involved with modding is getting out of hand.

Yes, I also had that in the beginning. There might also be a mod for that but I'm not sure ... in the end, you will probably, have to "beef up" your PC and Graphic Card, to be able to fix that ...
Old 08-13-20, 03:23 AM   #3
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

I’m afraid there is nothing to do to cure this.
Assuming it’s about sky rendering mainly on horizon at sun rise/set, those weird Color artifacts are still visible with any megamods...
After few time, you won’t notice it anymore
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 12:44 PM   #4
Lonny007
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 982

Hi, I have 3 different computers actually 4 loaded with SH3, my first Laptop with ATI 9600 Pro and XP drivers drivers with no Black Triangle Glitch, 2 nd Laptop with ATI X1400 has the Black Triangle Glitch, Desktop with Gefore 2080
has the Black Triangle Glitch and also my Laptop with MX150 also has the Black Triangle Glitch. I thought I had settings on my mx150 Laptop to make the Black Triangle Glitch go away, but to my surprise they are back again, so not sure what happened I could have sworn I had fixed the problem with settings. Anyhow so I too am trying to see if I can get this glitch to go away. Let me know if anyone has been successful.

It seems the earlier Graphic Card the ATI 9600 Pro with Windows XP Pro I see no Black Triangles in Horizon.

"suggested increasing the horizon ZMax in scene.dat but I cannot find this value in the silent3editor. Anybody have any clue as to how to fix this? It's pretty distracting." This sounds intersting, let me know if you figure it out.

Hopefully we can find a fix.
Lonny007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 03:09 PM   #5
Hebe Vollmaus
Officer

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumDrumCity View Post

"move to a different game" was my first idea.
But that will not respect your finding the old thread from 2007.

With Mini Tweaker you need for every file you like to modify a Tweak-file. Somewhat easyer is Silent3ditor. In S3D the ZMax can be found on scene.dat/EnvData/EnvData/Camera/Y.
Also in S3D can be found: "Camera parameters. (X,Y,Z = ZMin,ZMax,Angle)". So Y is what you need.

As these "black triangles" are a very old one, i wondering why this pops up now. The readme in the SH3-install tells us "6.4. Known Problems [...]
On ATI Radeon 8500,9000,9200 there are graphic artefacts consisting in missing triangles from the game sky."
So a clean new install will not help. There is no official Update from "UBISOFT" to fix this.

For me, this problem is long gone. As far i can tell, all ENV- and Big-Mods after 2007 has corrected this.

Modding is what SH3 has been survived until today. Thanks to the Devellopers for made it possible, and thanks to all Modders for there time investments.

Greetings.
Hebe Vollmaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
artifacts, glitch, scene, sh3, sky