Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-01-17, 06:24 PM   #1
Cherry
Swabbie

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Default Q: Crashing trying to activate TWOS

Hey guys,

So I am new to SH5 and recently bought the game because of TWOS. I have played the game vanilla for about 5 hours to get used to moving around the sub and controls. This was about 4 days ago. I have been binge watching Empty Cup and his series (I believe he is called Schaefer on the forums). I just finished Ep 11 and I really wanna start the hunt myself.

So I am trying to install TWOS using his tutorial video, did everything he did but when I try to load the game with TWOS it doesn't start after the loading screen. I just get a black screen and hear some audio. When I de-activate the mod the game starts up just fine.

I am sorry in advance if this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer to my problem.
Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 06:39 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

What version of Windows do you have? Windows 10, 64-bit with the new update?

Where did you get your Silent Hunter from (Steam, Amazon, etc.) and is it DVD or download??

Where on your computer did you install the game, like "C:\ Program Files (x86) \ Ubisoft", or some other folder?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 06:46 PM   #3
Cherry
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
What version of Windows do you have? Windows 10, 64-bit with the new update?

Where did you get your Silent Hunter from (Steam, Amazon, etc.) and is it DVD or download??

Where on your computer did you install the game, like "C:\ Program Files (x86) \ Ubisoft", or some other folder?
1. I am using windows 10 64 bit.
2. I bought it on uplay
3. I have two drives C: and D:. C being my main drive (SSD) and D: secondary (HDD) and games I don't need to load quickly. SH5 is installed on my D:. It's also just directly installed on my D:.
Old 08-01-17, 07:14 PM   #4
propbeanie

You are installed in a good folder.

We'll just point you here for now:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...50&postcount=1

THEBERBSTER has all sorts of links and either an eidetic memory, or a really good speadsheet / database to pull his information together in, but he can set you straight most likely, as can at least half of the other folks on the site...

Have you updated your game to v1.2 with Ubisoft? As for TWOs, I would go to the source for install info (seasoned with THEBERBSTER's advice):

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...20#post2165720

don't forget about his recent update also...

Old 08-01-17, 07:27 PM   #5
Cherry
Swabbie

Quote:
You are installed in a good folder.

We'll just point you here for now:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...50&postcount=1

THEBERBSTER has all sorts of links and either an eidetic memory, or a really good speadsheet / database to pull his information together in, but he can set you straight most likely, as can at least half of the other folks on the site...

Have you updated your game to v1.2 with Ubisoft? As for TWOs, I would go to the source for install info (seasoned with THEBERBSTER's advice):

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...20#post2165720

don't forget about his recent update also...
My game says v1.2 in the top right corner so that should be fine.
I have looked a couple times through THEBERBSTER his links, but have not yet found what I am looking for.
Old 08-01-17, 07:29 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Cherry!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 08:02 PM   #7
propbeanie

Forgive my manners Cherry. Like Aktungbby, I should have welcomed you to SubSim first, then got on with business...

In the meantime, if you've got the Creators' Update installed in Win10, that does cause issues with the video driver for some cards, which does cause issues with the older games, SH3, 4 & 5 being older games. All 3 are having issues with this. Some folks have rolled back the update, others have installed different (older) video drivers. That's where THEBERBSTER's advice would be most helpful, since I don't have any of this fancy, new-fangled computer gizmo stuff... - I have an old Duo core quad core thingie that does 2.1 gigaherts, and my graphics sub-system isn't even that new... - That said, if you're running OK in "stock", I can't imagine that being the issue, but I could be wrong (what? again??)...

Also, the game wants your "modern" computer to "match" what it does with the video. So if your display monitor has a "Native resolution" of 1600 x 900 @ 60Hz, then Windows should be set to that, and the game should be set to that. That gets things working together best. Some folks have newer, higher resolution gear, and you might find it difficult to find an exact match, but there might be a mod to help with that, or maybe using a "Window" mode in the game might get you close. One thing about changing video display resolutions in the game is that you have to re-start the game for them to take effect...

Old 08-01-17, 08:10 PM   #8
Cherry
Swabbie

Quote:
Forgive my manners Cherry. Like Aktungbby, I should have welcomed you to SubSim first, then got on with business...

In the meantime, if you've got the Creators' Update installed in Win10, that does cause issues with the video driver for some cards, which does cause issues with the older games, SH3, 4 & 5 being older games. All 3 are having issues with this. Some folks have rolled back the update, others have installed different (older) video drivers. That's where THEBERBSTER's advice would be most helpful, since I don't have any of this fancy, new-fangled computer gizmo stuff... - I have an old Duo core quad core thingie that does 2.1 gigaherts, and my graphics sub-system isn't even that new... - That said, if you're running OK in "stock", I can't imagine that being the issue, but I could be wrong (what? again??)...

Also, the game wants your "modern" computer to "match" what it does with the video. So if your display monitor has a "Native resolution" of 1600 x 900 @ 60Hz, then Windows should be set to that, and the game should be set to that. That gets things working together best. Some folks have newer, higher resolution gear, and you might find it difficult to find an exact match, but there might be a mod to help with that, or maybe using a "Window" mode in the game might get you close. One thing about changing video display resolutions in the game is that you have to re-start the game for them to take effect...
No worries about the welcome And thanks Aktungbby.

Okay...so I found out that I have the creators update. So is it a smart idea to find a way to rollback the update?

My apologies for asking so much, I just want to be a part of this great community on my own little Sub
Old 08-01-17, 08:22 PM   #9
propbeanie

THEBERBSTER has a posting somewhere on the site, but I can't remember if it's in the SH3, 4 or 5 section... can't seem to find it. I just saw it the other day... Anyway, I wouldn't roll back the update. I'd roll back the driver, but I don't remember what you had to do to accomplish that...

OK, duh... very first post in that first link I gave you... wow!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...09#post2408009

it links to a Living Silent Hunter III thread, but the same applies...

... and then there's the "v-sinc" thing that might help, and is easier to do:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...90#post2502790

(thankfully, elameno just posted in there... )

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-01-17 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-01-17, 08:50 PM   #10
Cherry
Swabbie

Quote:
THEBERBSTER has a posting somewhere on the site, but I can't remember if it's in the SH3, 4 or 5 section... can't seem to find it. I just saw it the other day... Anyway, I wouldn't roll back the update. I'd roll back the driver, but I don't remember what you had to do to accomplish that...

OK, duh... very first post in that first link I gave you... wow!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...09#post2408009

it links to a Living Silent Hunter III thread, but the same applies...

... and then there's the "v-sinc" thing that might help, and is easier to do:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...90#post2502790

(thankfully, elameno just posted in there... )
I tried the V-Sync thing, didn't work.
I also tried the rollback, also didn't work.
Old 08-01-17, 10:09 PM   #11
propbeanie

I would leave the computer alone then, and wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along. It might have something to do with the mod activation process, dunno... Sorry

Old 08-01-17, 10:24 PM   #12
Cherry
Swabbie

Quote:
I would leave the computer alone then, and wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along. It might have something to do with the mod activation process, dunno... Sorry
So I did some research on the rollback...and I can only say what the f*ck windows. If you have upgraded to the creator version and you wanna do a rollback, you need to do it within 30 days of upgrading to the creators version. If you don't you cannot rollback, only with doing a full clean install and selecting the not 1703 version.

So right now I am really bummed out. Anyway thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.
Old 08-01-17, 11:00 PM   #13
Cherry
Swabbie

Might it be worth getting the Silent Hunter 5 gold edition from amazon for 9.99. I already have it on uplay, but is it possible it could fix my problem?
Old 08-02-17, 04:02 AM   #14
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Cherry
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community

I have seen this problem reported before on Subsim.
Ttry this first.
Go to your documents folder and change the main.cfg to turn v-sync on to "Synchronized=Yes"

Another option:
Using the compatibility Troubleshooter
Try this fix!
Right click on your SH5.exe
Go to Properties
Select Compatibility Tab
Run the ‘Compatibility trouble shooter.
Your system will now start investigating for any problems.
You may be asked to ‘test the program’
If you are offered this option then accept it.

Last edited by THEBERBSTER; 08-02-17 at 04:14 AM.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 03:57 PM   #15
Cherry
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Cherry
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community

I have seen this problem reported before on Subsim.
Ttry this first.
Go to your documents folder and change the main.cfg to turn v-sync on to "Synchronized=Yes"

Another option:
Using the compatibility Troubleshooter
Try this fix!
Right click on your SH5.exe
Go to Properties
Select Compatibility Tab
Run the ‘Compatibility trouble shooter.
Your system will now start investigating for any problems.
You may be asked to ‘test the program’
If you are offered this option then accept it.
Thank you for the welcome.
Those are indeed the main fixes for this problem but I tried both and it didn't work. To be quite fair, I tried a lot of the fixes even rolling back my graphics card drivers.

Because I tried a lot and it didn't work, could it be the fault of uplay and should I buy and download from Amazon. Or could this be a problem with the creator update. I personally do not think this is the case, because I can run sh5 vanilla. When I purely select the mod twos it doesn't start up anymore.

Tags
twos