Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-16-15, 03:50 PM   #1
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0
Default Five dead, including gunman, in Tennessee military facilities shootings

4 Marines killed, by this nutjob, plus another Marine and Police officer wounded. Gunman was killed in a shoot out with police, glad the bastid is dead too. Don't have to waste money on a trial!

My heart goes out to the victims families, so stinking senseless!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fiv...ngs/ar-AAd3U69

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-15, 07:45 PM   #2
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Chattanooga, Tennessee isn't exactly the first place you'd be expecting a terrorist attack but I guess these days that hardly matters. Thanks to internet recruiting and persuasion the globe is a battlefield.

IS leaders have called on their followers to launch attacks during the month of Ramadan, which comes to an end this weekend. Might be wise to act with a bit more caution in public.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-15, 09:05 PM   #3
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torplexed View Post
IS leaders have called on their followers to launch attacks during the month of Ramadan, which comes to an end this weekend. Might be wise to act with a bit more caution in public.

IMO, that is what the meaning of Islamophobia is.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-15, 09:54 PM   #4
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
How so exactly? Everything he stated is a fact and he never implied anything else beyond that.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-15, 10:07 PM   #5
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
The Chattanooga Times newspaper reported that the shooter went to a local high school and competed on the wrestling team. He left this message in his school yearbook: "My name causes national security alerts. What does yours do?"

Well, you can learn to take life's little setbacks with humor because there will be a lot of them. A shame he didn't stick to it.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Old 07-16-15, 10:14 PM   #6
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
How so exactly? Everything he stated is a fact and he never implied anything else beyond that.
He's right in a way, but only in a manner in which if I had said it would have lead to instant claims of PC.
Unfortunately in an incident like this it's human nature to be distrustful of something that isn't the same as us, I mean you're far more likely to be killed by a white guy driving a truck but no-one ever really thinks about it, a Muslim shoots up a Marine recruitment center and people get spooky around Islam.
It's not just an Islamophobia thing, if you had been in the UK around the 1960s-1980s, you'd have met people who would have expressed a not dissimilar sentiment about the Irish.
I remember when I took my first trip to London after 7/7, I was on the tube and there were people on there who were of darker skin than I (admittedly with my nerd-complexion that's not difficult) and they were carrying rucksacks...and you can be damn right that I was concerned. For all I knew they were probably Sikhs or even atheists, but because they were foreign looking and had rucksacks, little alarm bells went off in my mind. Of course, none of them exploded and aside from the usual delays there were no interruptions to my journey around the capital during that visit and the visits since.

In my opinion where it becomes real Islamophobia is when you encourage someone to take action against a person because of their religion. Torplexed stopped short of that, and did no more than what the speakers in your public transportation hub tell you on a regular basis, 'remain vigilent'.

Of course, unfortunately in this war, vigilence is a double-edged sword, many radicals who have since fled to Syria were only radicalised when someone thought they looked suspicious and called the police on them.
To come back to the gunman who took part in this attack, 'My name causes national security alerts. What does yours do?', was the message written in his school yearbook. What are we to take from that?

Let me end this ramble in a thread that I was going to stay out of...but, like Corleone 'they pulled me back in', let me end it by stating that I don't believe for a moment that Torplexed is an Islamophobe, in fact there's probably only a couple of posters on this forum who I would say truly are, and I'm not going to start pointing fingers. He's just like the rest of us, still trying to make sense of what the world has become.

Finally, and most importantly, Semper Fi to the fallen, may they rest in peace.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-15, 10:20 PM   #7
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
I remember when I took my first trip to London after 7/7, I was on the tube and there were people on there who were of darker skin than I (admittedly with my nerd-complexion that's not difficult) and they were carrying rucksacks...and you can be damn right that I was concerned. For all I knew they were probably Sikhs or even atheists, but because they were foreign looking and had rucksacks, little alarm bells went off in my mind.
If I see any swarthy-looking guys on the bus with Confederate flag patches on their rucksacks, I'm really gonna freak. That could result in a matter-antimatter explosion.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Old 07-17-15, 02:16 AM   #8
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Quote:
That's not islamophobia, that's stating a fact.

Quote:
That guy is a muslim, arrest him now since all muslims are terrorists
That's islamophobia

Quote:
A white man cannot execute a terrorist attack, since he is not a muslim and only muslims can be terrorists since all muslims are terrorists.
That is also islamophobia.

I hope that clears it.

IS is dangerous because unlike Al Quaida, that utilises organised cells, they have discovered a way to get lone wolfs to pop up anywhere.
But if all muslims were terrorists there would be more than a billion lone wolfs running around. Are they ?? Do we have a terror attack every second ??
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-15, 05:31 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Only positive I can glean is the world is free of one more oxygen thief.

Condolences to all who have lost loved ones.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-15, 06:13 AM   #10
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betonov View Post
That's not islamophobia, that's stating a fact.

That's islamophobia

That is also islamophobia.

I hope that clears it.

IS is dangerous because unlike Al Quaida, that utilises organised cells, they have discovered a way to get lone wolfs to pop up anywhere.
But if all muslims were terrorists there would be more than a billion lone wolfs running around. Are they ?? Do we have a terror attack every second ??
Well said.
It is an awkward situation that we face in this new war, because our very efforts to maintain our safety creates further threats to our safety.
I would say that AQ has also encouraged their own fair share of lone wolves, the Boston bomber for example did his work before Daesh was big on the block, but mostly the reason is that we've managed to defeat a lot of the attempts, so they don't get the press that a successful attempt would do. See this list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ates_post-9/11

Most of the time though, Daesh and AQ attack in the Middle East and Africa, so we're in the strange position that Daesh and AQ are doing more damage to Muslims than they are to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torplexed View Post
If I see any swarthy-looking guys on the bus with Confederate flag patches on their rucksacks, I'm really gonna freak. That could result in a matter-antimatter explosion.
No, no, you have to look away, and look away....

That reminds me, I really need to continue that AAR...
Old 07-17-15, 08:17 AM   #11
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Everyday there are reports of shooters on the highway, hate crimes, rapists, murderers. My brother who is in the know once told me what we read about in the news doesnt even come close to the horrifying things that happen in society we never hear about.

Heck we even have a growing muslim population in a nearby housing development. Maybe one day our little town will make national news. But I don't hide in my house or go underground out of fear of an attack, robbery or assault. IMO doing so could lead one to go batshiat crazy.

I do take precautions and have means available to defend my home from intruders, but even that isnt at the forefront of my mind. Going to work, travel and recreation is.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-15, 01:04 PM   #12
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Saw a video the other day of a woman being beheaded on the streets with help of the police of course. I think it was her family that did the beheading. It's amazing we live in a world where a religion still lives in the dark ages.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-15, 01:31 AM   #13
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

My reality show idea "Spin the Wheel of Islam" would solve all of this for us. If we can get the Enola Gay airworthy.
Old 07-18-15, 05:31 AM   #14
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
My reality show idea "Spin the Wheel of Islam" would solve all of this for us. If we can get the Enola Gay airworthy.
And who would you nuke and where? How many civilians would you slaughter?
Old 07-18-15, 05:47 AM   #15
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Default Wheel of Islam

terror attack ---> retaliation bombing ---> dead civilians ---> mourning survivor --->

---> radicalisation from the fact that one has nothing to loose and all the anger ---> terror attack --->

And the wheel of Islam goes round and round, round and round...

Put some brains instead of bombs up front when trying to find a soution. Just might work.
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shooter