SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-04-11, 11:33 PM   #1
CapitanFlounder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Play tutorial before modding or HasCompletedTutorial=true?

Hi folks,

After a long break from subs I reinstalled SH3 recently after I saw the progress of the mods for it.

Couple of days later I was reading about the SH5 mods, got excited about them also and bought it straight away. There's some really inspirational work being done by members of this site. In the words of Steve Martin it makes me "emotionally erect".

So I spent about 3 hours yesterday sourcing and unpacking the mods I'm starting with (sure are a lot) and this leads me to a question. A few times in this forum I've read that the tutorial should be completed before installing any mods. But then I read about the "HasCompletedTutorial=true" setting.

My question is: is it still necessary to complete the tutorial or can I just set this configuration?

Cheers!
Old 10-05-11, 12:24 AM   #2
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Just complete the tutorial without installing any mods . Once you reach the bunker and recieve the green tick then install mods and play . It shouldnt take more than 10 minutes to play it .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 01:50 AM   #3
Sartoris
Captain

Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0

I just used the configuration you mention, and everything seems to work okay.
Sartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 02:10 AM   #4
CapitanFlounder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for the replies . I'll give 'HasCompletedTutorial=true' a go also and if it works then it might save someone 10 minutes down the track.

Now I'm off to check out sober's profile mod list to see what I'm missing...
Old 10-05-11, 02:31 AM   #5
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I had a older version of Open Horisons in there as well by mistake . Fixed my mod list up as of now .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 04:29 AM   #6
CapitanFlounder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Heheh thanks sober
Old 10-05-11, 05:58 AM   #7
Sartoris
Captain

I would also suggest looking for my post on the last page on "List your MOD soup" thread. Some people suggested that some of the crucial mods be installed in a way that is different from the way sober has done it.

I'm not saying that sober's way is necessarily wrong, but it's worth looking into it.
Old 10-05-11, 06:41 AM   #8
CapitanFlounder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Cheers for that Sartoris. Yeah seems I may have a few things out of order. There were quite a lot of conflicts as I was enabling them. As a result I left some mods out because I was fairly certain they were contained in previous ones, and I enabled others regardless because I figured they may be newer versions or identical because they were by the same author.

Going to have to do a bit more reading before I'm completely happy with my setup.
Old 10-06-11, 01:19 AM   #9
mobucks
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 209

I always was able to complete the tutorial even with all the mods installed. Yeah parts of the UI are missing but they show up as you complete the objectives. I like the extra renown you get by doing it.
mobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 05:02 AM   #10
Sartoris
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitanFlounder View Post
Cheers for that Sartoris. Yeah seems I may have a few things out of order. There were quite a lot of conflicts as I was enabling them. As a result I left some mods out because I was fairly certain they were contained in previous ones, and I enabled others regardless because I figured they may be newer versions or identical because they were by the same author.

Going to have to do a bit more reading before I'm completely happy with my setup.
It's ok to have a lot of conflicts while enabling mods. That's normal as long as you're enabling them in the right order. I would recommend looking for the user Orpheus (or is it 0rpheus with a 0?) because he has a really nice mod list linked in his signature. Also, make sure that you watch the tutorials for installing mods. Some of those are outdated, but they'll help you get a better feeling for installing mods and teach you how to do it properly. There's not a lot to it, but it's easy to make a few mistakes. Pay attention to the order of the folders (i.e. make sure you have a data folder in each mod folder), but this is all explained in the videos.

Good luck hunting!
Old 10-06-11, 07:40 AM   #11
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartoris View Post
It's ok to have a lot of conflicts while enabling mods. That's normal as long as you're enabling them in the right order. I would recommend looking for the user Orpheus (or is it 0rpheus with a 0?) because he has a really nice mod list linked in his signature. Also, make sure that you watch the tutorials for installing mods. Some of those are outdated, but they'll help you get a better feeling for installing mods and teach you how to do it properly. There's not a lot to it, but it's easy to make a few mistakes. Pay attention to the order of the folders (i.e. make sure you have a data folder in each mod folder), but this is all explained in the videos.

Good luck hunting!
Mod list is in my sig.

Re conflicts, bear in mind that what you activate later overrides earlier versions if the same files are used. If you add two wave mods, one after the other, you'll only see the effect of the last one you add - and you'll be shown the 'conflict' when you enable the second one.

If you're using TDWs latest New UIs (6.8.0), in the Applications folder, there's a program called SH5 Validator. That is the best tool to tell you whether your installed mods are incompatible, rather than relying on the conflict shown in JSGME, as sometimes it's ok to overwrite, and sometimes it's not.

Like Sartoris says, the first file in any mod folder should be 'data'. If it's not, then the mod you need to install is deeper in the file structure (Dynamic Environment pack is a good example of this - a single base mod, and several 'add ons' deeper in the mod file).

Pretty sure the tutorial tweak will work fine but if it's your first go at the game I'd run it stock before adding mods. It's always better to add them in an 'in bunker' save.

Shout up if you have any questions/problems!
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 03:15 PM   #12
CapitanFlounder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@mobucks: good to know it works the way you're doing it too. Thanks

@Sartoris, 0rpheus: brilliant! Thanks for the tips and links, I'll take a look tonight and try the validator also.
Old 10-06-11, 03:50 PM   #13
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

I'm not seeing TDW's mega-mod in anybody's mod list, what's up with that?

I'm coming back to Sh5 after a loooooooong while and I just finished downloading the mega-mod, now I'm feeling a bit... scared?
Old 10-06-11, 03:53 PM   #14
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

@CapitanFlounder! Welcome to SubSim,

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 04:40 PM   #15
CapitanFlounder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks very much Vendor, pleasure to be here

@Philipp_Thomsen: Magnum Opus? I've seen a lot of folks with that installed. I have it but I haven't left Kiel harbour yet so am hardly a good example

Tags
hascompletedtutorial, tutorial