SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-08-11, 02:35 PM   #1
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Default [TEC] Crew Management

With Captain America's Officer Quarters in mind, I decided to play with the Crew Management a bit.

I removed Hogan's Alley and created two(2) new compartments for safe storage of Gun Crews when you are Submerged.

Compartment 1 (Stern Torpedo)
Compartment 2 (Engines)
Compartment 3 (AFT Quarters, 6 Crew Slots)
Compartment 4 (Command Room)
Compartment 5 (Conning Tower)
Compartment 6 (FWD Quaters, 6 Crew Slots)
Compartment 7 (Fore Torpedo)

PURPOSE:
In order to Populate the new Officer Quarters when CA is done. The crew must stand active Watch. Hogan's Alley is not active.

As you can see from the picture below. I also added some equipment to these new compartments but I encountered a possible issue by adding said equipment.
In order for engines to respond, each new compartment must be manned by active watch or 1 crew each at Battle Stations.

Suggestions Welcome

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 02:58 PM   #2
Diablo2
Mate

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

I like it but is Captain America still working on those interiors? Havent seen any updates in awhile.
Diablo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 03:34 PM   #3
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 0

I think captain america,s mod had gone dead for months now.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 04:27 PM   #4
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
I removed Hogan's Alley and created two(2) new compartments
Did you test it running the game at the lowest resolution? If you put in too many crew, you'll have truncation and overlap issues in the crew management GUI for users running at lower resolutions. Personally, i chose to concern myself with that in my own work, but would have preferred not to. Your call.

Quote:
The crew must stand active Watch. Hogan's Alley is not active.
Just to add to the confusion, Hogan's alley is really the nickname for some of the bunks that reside in the after battery.

Quote:
I also added some equipment to these new compartments but I encountered a possible issue by adding said equipment. In order for engines to respond, each new compartment must be manned by active watch or 1 crew each at Battle Stations.
You might want to rethink your equipment then. Ideally the player must be able to shuffle crew in and out of there at will, without effecting the operation of the boat. I mean, as a player, having to leave a crewman in his bunks so the engines don't quit would bug the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar19681 View Post
I think captain america,s mod had gone dead for months now.
I think so too. I did some work similar to this in TMO's beta patch in anticipation of CA's interiors, but i suspect it's a dead issue now.

While talking with him in PM's awhile back, it was clear to me he was taking on too much. He rehashed the control room again, before he even got to the new areas. And he only got the gato fixed up before he restarted the new areas. He was fighting burnout in the worst way possible. Considering theres at least TWO MORE interiors to do (3 if you count the S boat.), He probably threw in the towel after awhile.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 04:43 PM   #5
TheBeast
The Old Man

Good to see you are still around Ducimus!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Did you test it running the game at the lowest resolution? If you put in too many crew, you'll have truncation and overlap issues in the crew management GUI for users running at lower resolutions. Personally, i chose to concern myself with that in my own work, but would have preferred not to. Your call.
I thought about the resolution issue myself. I removed 3 Aft Torpedo slots and 4 Engine Room Slots and will remove 3 Fore Torpedo Slots.
I was also planning to fudge the Coef for compartments that I removed Crew Slots from a bit to make up for the crew loss as the New Crew Slots could still assist in those area's while standing watch.
Quote:
Just to add to the confusion, Hogan's alley is really the nickname for some of the bunks that reside in the after battery.
Yes but Hogan's Alley was innactive compartment so crew in that compartment served no purpose at all.
You can not even populate interior/exterior dummy positions because the crew in Hogan's Alley never stand watch.
Quote:
You might want to rethink your equipment then. Ideally the player must be able to shuffle crew in and out of there at will, without effecting the operation of the boat. I mean, as a player, having to leave a crewman in his bunks so the engines don't quit would bug the hell out of me.
I was thinking the same thing.
I think I can leave the Battery's in the Crew Compartments even though they are linked to Electric Engines. Submerged Propulsion was still working with no crew in compartment.
CFO Tanks need to be moved because they do require crew in the compartment for Deisel Engines to run.
I've lost my Gun Crew's so many times in TMO it is second nature to shuffle them to safe location every time I Submerge now, no matter what is going on.
To bad UbiSoft didn't think that logic all the way through when they created the Gun Crews and Deck Watch compartments. If these stations are not active, the compartment crew exposure should be reduced as if they were located in normal interior compartment.
Quote:
I think so too. I did some work similar to this in TMO's beta patch in anticipation of CA's interiors, but i suspect it's a dead issue now.

While talking with him in PM's awhile back, it was clear to me he was taking on too much. He rehashed the control room again, before he even got to the new areas. And he only got the gato fixed up before he restarted the new areas. He was fighting burnout in the worst way possible. Considering theres at least TWO MORE interiors to do (3 if you count the S boat.), He probably threw in the towel after awhile.
Maybe someone with some 3DS Talent can take over the project?

Last edited by TheBeast; 02-08-11 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-08-11, 05:07 PM   #6
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
I thought about the resolution issue myself. I removed 3 Aft Torpedo slots and 4 Engine Room Slots and will remove 3 Fore Torpedo Slots.
I thought the crew looked a little "thinner" in some areas in that pic, but wasn't sure.

Quote:
Yes but Hogan's Alley was innactive compartment so crew in that compartment served no purpose at all.You can not even populate interior/exterior dummy positions because the crew in Hogan's Alley never stand watch.
That is true, and is the main reason why i added the after battery to the watch rotation in TMO's patch.

Quote:
I think I can leave the Battery's in the Crew Compartments even though they are linked to Electric Engines. Submerged Propulsion was still working with no crew in compartment. CFO Tanks need to be moved because they do require crew in the compartment for Deisel Engines to run.
What I'm wondering is why you added CFO tanks to the battery compartments to begin with. Bulkhead and battery is all you need there.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 05:28 PM   #7
TheBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
What I'm wondering is why you added CFO tanks to the battery compartments to begin with. Bulkhead and battery is all you need there.
Because I am a nub MOD'r and have only been doing little things for almost a year now.
To be honest, I use your work as a template for most of what I do. I was looking at OM but there is just so much that IMO, is just totally wrong in that MOD. Like IXD2 dive time of almost 5 minutes not to mention crush depths.

The deepest recorded successful dive during WWII was a Balao class that lost dive control and slipped down to like 1200 feet before regaining dive controls and climbing back to the surface. Yet in game, Balao Crush Depth is like 700 feet.

To many boats are using Test Depths as if it was Crush Depth.

Also Radar Tech. Germany was WAY ahead of everyone in this area but the radar that you do get on U-Boats is very poor. You can almost see the target before Radar picks it up and you definately should be able to hear Aircraft before the in game radar detects the Aircraft. Not like there are many obsticles to block the sound at sea.

Old 02-13-11, 01:24 PM   #8
TheBeast
The Old Man

Moving the Fuel Tanks into Compartment 2 as recommended by Ducimus the 2 new Crew Compartments do not need to be manned for engines to respond now.

While looking at equipment comartment assignment I realised that Torpedo Tubes are not numbered.
This normally is not an issue but I have encountered damaged Tubes and the Torpedo Tubes do not always list in correct order. (Sucks when trying to fire a Torpedo and all you get is "Torpedo Tube is damaged sir!". What tubes are damage?)
Maybe numbering "21" Torpedo Tube #1", "21" Torpedo Tube #2", etc. would help the captain decide what tube to load/unload.

Tags
crew management, equipment