SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-30-22, 04:48 AM   #1
Ourka
Nub

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
Icon1 My problems installing NYGM, H.sie, Stiebler, Tychos and Commander. I need help.

Hello,

I have working SH3 from CD. It is so much working and up to date that I figured out the H.sie's patch can be applied to SH3.exe right away which is great and simplifies things.

Well now to the problem. I tried installing NYGM. I wanted to get it from NYGM official website. The links are dead though. Or at least for me trying to click them doesn't download anything. I found out that there is another option. The Donitze flotilla archive. I tried pulling NYGM from there successfully. But the install process is something that intrigues me to be honest. Here is the Donitze flotilla guide.
  • Original SH3 --- either Steam-fixed or Starforce-fixed and updated to V1.4b
  • [your mega-mod of choice, see list]
  • S3C
  • S3C Super-Mod-specific cfg files
  • S3H
  • S3S
  • Tycho

I have specifically problem with the step 2 and 4. As well as with applying the H.sie's patch and Steibler's patch. I didn't look at how to apply Tycho's patch so far at all.

The major problem that I found is that NYGM from Donitz flotilla archive isn't the same on file per file basis as if you would download it from the original source. Therefore I cannot use the guide on NYGM site.

My main general questions:
  1. Is there anyone that knows how to install NYGM from Donitze flotilla
    archive?
  2. In case answer to 1. is no. Do you know where to pull NYGM from?

How to install H.sie's patch and Stiebler's patch?
I was able to patch .exe to H.sie's version and than do the same for Stiebler's version. Where I have problems are the following steps.
  1. Whilst step 3 is not required by H.sie for NYGM. I would like to be able to run H.sie's version even in GWX. He is mentioning to append new messages to en_menu.txt and de_menu.txt. I don't know how one does that. I assume you could hard copy contents of append.txt files to the en_menu.txt, de_menu.txt files. That should work. Though I am not sure

I don't know where exactly should I copy the contents of append.txt files. In the en_menu.txt there are last two lines:

; last index is given by MaxStrings entry (at the begining of this file)
    ; if you add new items here, over the last entry, MaxStrings should be updated accordingly

Should it be added exactly at the line after this line or should there be a space?

also in H.sie's append file:

;------------------------------------
    ; Messages for h.sie sh3.exe patch
    ; -----------------------------------
    ; Simply append the following lines
    ; to your en_menu.txt.
    ;------------------------------------

4814=Fog disappears.
    4818=Fog sighted.

I assume you start appending the from line starting with 4814=Fog disappears and you do not append the instructions in the append.txt file above the 4814=Fog disappears line.

Actually I read trough it once again and it seems a bit clearer to me now so no further questions for now on this topic. Just the one above with where and what to append.

SH3 Commander for multiple installs
I rather quickly read trough JScone's guide on how to install SH3 Commander. There are specific steps for GWX 3 and NYGM. I am unsure whether SH3 Commander is installed then globally or locally to every SH3 install specifically. Should I be installing Commander outside of SH3 installs then or to SH3 install. I so far installed my SH3 Commander to C:\SH3 Commander\ then I have my C:\SilentHunter 3 GWX\, C:\SilentHunter 3\ and C:\SilentHunter 3 NYGM\ game installs. So the question is again like whether to include commander to each install or keep it separate.

Is there mod that enables making parallel lines?
I went forum to forums and didn't find something like that. But I want to ask nonetheless. I like that at least that Tycho's patch makes doing geometry and math a bit more precise since you can change the the number of numbers displayed after decimal point. Though is there possibility in game or through mod to:
  1. make parallel lines
  2. to just extend line and not change the lines "heading"

both options would be very good if they would be possible. It would make 4 bearings method way easier.

Is there mod that enables marking time on the map?
I can do with paper and pencil. But it would be nice if you could just create mark and have time next to it.

Thank you all for helping me.
Ourka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-22, 10:03 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Try this SubSim page for the downloads:
THE NYGM Super Mod, Version 3 (and its sub-versions)

The "Release" thread:
NYGM 3 Super-mod

There is quite a bit of reading to do to wade through it all. Fifi has done an updated version of the mod that you might be interested in:
Fifi Enhancements for NYGM

Several others around here are old hands at activating NYGM. The main thing about modding SH3 is that you do NOT want the game installed in a Program Files folder, which is what it defaults to for its install. Windows has too many "technologies" that thwart any attempts to modify files in that folder with JSGME and mods...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-22, 10:44 AM   #3
Weasel665
Watch

Downloads: 404

I found out that there is another option. [URL="http://www.donitzeliteflotilla.com/forum/index.php?topic=1.0"]The Donitze flotilla archive.

You could try looking in the tools folder in that archive and using SH3 Frontend.
Look at the trailers as to what it is supposed to do and proceed accordingly.

I second to try and use Fifi's NYGM Enhanced
Weasel665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-22, 11:36 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Ourka!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-22, 01:39 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar Re: Welcome aboard...

Ourka!

Far simpler approach... go with Fifi's Enhanced Hardcore version... as has been recommended by both propbeanie, Weasel665 & now... Myself.

M. M.
Old 09-30-22, 11:58 PM   #6
Ourka
Nub

Downloads: 12

I will check Fifi's version later. I was also recommended s7rikeback's collection from there I managed to pull all 13 parts as listed here at NYGM official. I was also able to hopefully successfully install it and apply H.sie's, Stiebler's and Tycho's patch as well as getting MaGuis to work. So far it starts and I can go to torpedo training and it all works without crashing.

now I am thinking. Do you have any idea if mod for better geometry exists or is possible to exist. I am specifically talking about mod making it possible to draw parallel lines or least making it possible to extend line without changing it's heading.
Ourka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-22, 10:30 PM   #7
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

I have One Alex, but I would think.

Draw lines.

Draw two marks at same distance.

Connect marks.

Yes, at infinity they will meet, but they will be good enough for daily navigation.

Tags
help sh3, help with mod, mods, silent hunter 3