SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-05-21, 10:26 AM   #1
XondoXondo420
Swabbie

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default FOTRSU and Windows 11

I had to upgrade to Windows 11 for school unfortunately, the base version of SH4 runs just fine, however when I try to boot it with FOTRSU activated it crashes every single time without fail. Does anyone have a solution to this? I desperately want FOTRSU to work with Windows 11 on my machine.
XondoXondo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-21, 11:07 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

XondoZondo420!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-21, 11:27 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XondoXondo420 View Post
I had to upgrade to Windows 11 for school unfortunately, the base version of SH4 runs just fine, however when I try to boot it with FOTRSU activated it crashes every single time without fail. Does anyone have a solution to this? I desperately want FOTRSU to work with Windows 11 on my machine.
A bit more info would help, such as what is the source of your SH4: disk, Steam download, Ubisoft download, etc. Secondly, did you allow the game to install into the default path of "C:\Program Files (x86)"? With a Steam or Ubisoft download, this would include the base manager, which for Steam would be "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \Common \Silent Hunter..." Ubisoft does similarly. The game was written for the Windows XP interface, and since the Vista version of Windows, there has been User Access Control (UAC) as well as other 'technologies' that will rollback any changes a mod happens to make to the game install, since Windows will see the 'old tech' DirectX v9.0c game and JSGME as "unauthorized" to perform edits in that Program Files folder. A re-install or move to a folder / directory of your own making would be required.

Third, if you have a disk version of the game, did you select the DirectX v9.0c components and the Codecs for it as part of the install? You do not need Game Shadow nor the Acrobat Reader parts, since those are outdated programs, but you do need the old DirectX v9 parts as part of the install. If you have a Steam or Ubisoft (or most other) download, then those are updated to include what is needed without user intervention. Since the Stock game runs OK, I would assume that your install is fine, other than probably the install locatioin. Let us know what you have there, and someone can get you going. This applies to all major mods you would use.

As Aktungbby says: "Welcome to SubSim!"

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-21, 12:35 PM   #4
XondoXondo420
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
A bit more info would help, such as what is the source of your SH4: disk, Steam download, Ubisoft download, etc. Secondly, did you allow the game to install into the default path of "C:\Program Files (x86)"? With a Steam or Ubisoft download, this would include the base manager, which for Steam would be "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \Common \Silent Hunter..." Ubisoft does similarly. The game was written for the Windows XP interface, and since the Vista version of Windows, there has been User Access Control (UAC) as well as other 'technologies' that will rollback any changes a mod happens to make to the game install, since Windows will see the 'old tech' DirectX v9.0c game and JSGME as "unauthorized" to perform edits in that Program Files folder. A re-install or move to a folder / directory of your own making would be required.

Third, if you have a disk version of the game, did you select the DirectX v9.0c components and the Codecs for it as part of the install? You do not need Game Shadow nor the Acrobat Reader parts, since those are outdated programs, but you do need the old DirectX v9 parts as part of the install. If you have a Steam or Ubisoft (or most other) download, then those are updated to include what is needed without user intervention. Since the Stock game runs OK, I would assume that your install is fine, other than probably the install locatioin. Let us know what you have there, and someone can get you going. This applies to all major mods you would use.

As Aktungbby says: "Welcome to SubSim!"
Of course, I have it on steam it's version 1.5.0, but I created a separate folder for steam called Data Logs for discretion so the path for SH4 is C:/Data Logs/Steam/steamapps/common/Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific

I installed FOTRSU through SubSim and used JSGME to create a MODS folder which is where I put FOTRSU. I deleted the game's save folder before activating the mod and used LAA and MultiSH4. so I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong.
Old 12-05-21, 01:33 PM   #5
propbeanie

Do you get a "splash screen", similar to the left one in my "signature" below, when starting the game since activating the mod? There is one thing to remember about LAA activation, in that it does not error if the "target" (SH4.exe) has its "Read-only" Attribute set. All will look normal as far as it's concerned. If MultiSH4 let you create a new Save folder though, that probably is not an issue, but you can double-check it by navigating into the game folder, selecting the SH4.exe file, right-click on it and left-click "Properties" at the bottom of that context menu. The "Properties" will open to the "General" tab, and at the bottom is the "Attributes" section, and just make certain the "Read-only" tick box is cleared. You can "Apply" that, or just OK it. While you are there though, you could also check the "Compatibility" tab, and set things similar to this:

you will have to experiment with some of those settings, depending upon your computer, video card and display. The Windows 11 version of that Win10 picture there might be slightly different, but the principal is the same. You might be able to leave the "Run this program as administrator" empty, but that "Change high DPI settings" button is almost mandatory, which that's what the top little window is, on newer equipment in Win10.

Old 12-05-21, 01:43 PM   #6
XondoXondo420
Swabbie

Quote:
Do you get a "splash screen", similar to the left one in my "signature" below, when starting the game since activating the mod? There is one thing to remember about LAA activation, in that it does not error if the "target" (SH4.exe) has its "Read-only" Attribute set. All will look normal as far as it's concerned. If MultiSH4 let you create a new Save folder though, that probably is not an issue, but you can double-check it by navigating into the game folder, selecting the SH4.exe file, right-click on it and left-click "Properties" at the bottom of that context menu. The "Properties" will open to the "General" tab, and at the bottom is the "Attributes" section, and just make certain the "Read-only" tick box is cleared. You can "Apply" that, or just OK it. While you are there though, you could also check the "Compatibility" tab, and set things similar to this:

you will have to experiment with some of those settings, depending upon your computer, video card and display. The Windows 11 version of that Win10 picture there might be slightly different, but the principal is the same. You might be able to leave the "Run this program as administrator" empty, but that "Change high DPI settings" button is almost mandatory, which that's what the top little window is, on newer equipment in Win10.

Thank you so much! Yes I do get a splash screen, I'll try that out and see what happens, I forgot to mention the game starts and the menu settings work perfectly, but everytime I start a fleetboat career it loads up, lets me set up my boat and crew, and then when I actually start the mission it does the loading screen like normal and then the screen goes black and then it crashes before it actually loads the submarine interior. does that change anything or will what you suggest fix that? I'm also not sure if I mentioned this before or not but the base game runs just fine without a hitch, the problem is with the FOTRSU mod
Old 12-05-21, 01:57 PM   #7
XondoXondo420
Swabbie

SHO Thank you!

Quote:

Captian, you have done a great service to this war effort, because of your quick thinking and deep knowledge of the mechanics of Submarine Warfare USS Cabrillo is now able to begin her first war patrol into the Bungo Straits. God Speed Skipper!

It worked, thank you so much! I'm finally able to enjoy this game and it works much better than it did when I had it on windows 10, you have fixed my problem sir, thank you!
Old 12-05-21, 03:56 PM   #8
propbeanie

Excellent news! So what was the source of the issue? Surely Bernard wasn't on your boat too!?! Live long and prosper... oh wait, wrong movie - May you dream of large women... no, wrong movie again! Happy hunting! There we go!

Tags
fotrs, help me mod