SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-16-20, 01:31 PM   #1
DrMacintosh
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 stability

Hello, I have a fairly modern system: R5 2600, RX 5700 8GB, and 16GB 2666MHz DDR4. My copy of the game is from Steam. I do not have the U-Boat mission installed.

I was recently able to get SH4 to finally run properly with Windows 10. (My issue was the left over files in my documents folder which prevented the 3D environment from being rendered)

Now that that issue is resolved, I discovered another! My issue is that after a good gaming session, ~30min-1hr, the game crashed.

I suspect this is an issue with memory. Are there any resolutions to this such as the 4GB patch? If that will solve the issue, how do I install it?
DrMacintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-20, 04:20 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: SH4 stability...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMacintosh View Post
Hello, I have a fairly modern system: R5 2600, RX 5700 8GB, and 16GB 2666MHz DDR4. My copy of the game is from Steam. I do not have the U-Boat mission installed.

I was recently able to get SH4 to finally run properly with Windows 10. (My issue was the left over files in my documents folder which prevented the 3D environment from being rendered)

Now that that issue is resolved, I discovered another! My issue is that after a good gaming session, ~30min-1hr, the game crashed.

I suspect this is an issue with memory. Are there any resolutions to this such as the 4GB patch? If that will solve the issue, how do I install it?
Make sure to include in your set up, the following...

JSGME (this is important for any add on mods, as well as the main mod aka the mega mod. But.. be aware, that some add on's may.. or may not cause unintended side effects... best advice, make sure that any add ons you use, are slated for working with the main mod/s... & note that it may take a bit of trial & error to find a proper install order, as not every ones computers are the same.. what works fine with 1 set up on that computer, may not work with another's computer...)

MultiSH4... this is a must have, as this makes a completely separate save game folder for the SH4 mod install set up you do, & keeps those game saves for that set up, away from any others you may have set up.

4GB patch... or Large Address Aware.. or LAA as it is referred to...

As I understand it, both do pretty much the same.. assign 4 GB RAM, to the SH4.exe for your computer to shunt that RAM to it while you're tooling about sailing the ocean & sinking shipping.

I Myself, find it much easier to use the LAA. Just a simple as 1. point to where the .exe is located, 2. flag it for use of more than 2 GB... by checking the box for that.. & finally, 3. Accept the change & commit... done.

Does NOT have to be installed in the same folder that the items you want to flag to use more than 2 GB RAM for, which is a great thing.

On the 4GB patch... no idea, as I don't know all that much about it... so I leave that to others who do use it.. to expound upon it & its virtues...

Install & use of these, is important to do in the exact order I outlined them in. The LAA if you decide to go with it... should be done last.

Hope this info helps...

Fair winds, smooth seas & here's to a successful patrol with plenty of targets...

Gute jagd herr himmelhund

M. M.

p.s.

Important side note... install of SH4, JSGME & MultiSH4, should all be together in the SH4 folder, you intend to mod out... & MOST importantly.. if the OpSys.. is Win 10... DO NOT install SH4 in the /Program files or /Program files (x86) folders... any attempts to mod while they are installed there.. as I understand it.. Microsoft UAP (or was that UAC... *shrugs*), doesn't like & could very well cause them to commit hari kari... ritual suicide... as I understand it...

I installed LAA in the main folder I set up, listed as /Games
completely separate from any & all games I have installed in that folder, which is NOT in those folders I mentioned in the p.s, at all.

p.p.s

If you have access to it, considering you have SH4 from Steam... I would heartily recommend the Uboat missions version. I know that Steam has SH4 broke down into the SH4 without it & SH4 with the Uboat add on...

That is when you snagged it from them, hopefully that included access to the latter SH4 version... which is the 1st but with the ability to patrol about in a Type IX uboat, out in the pacific side of the war.... added in later.

To be frank, Ubi screwed the pooch, as that is how they should have released it, to begin with... just My own opinion on that...

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 11-17-20 at 12:38 AM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-20, 06:11 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMacintosh View Post

+1 on what Mad Mardigan suggested, especially the Large Address Aware (LAA).
THAT should be considered table stakes.

Good Luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crash, ram, sh4, windows 10