SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-18-16, 05:14 PM   #1
Mr Elusive
Swabbie

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 0
radar [Query] ACM Reloaded - Targeting while zoomed-out?

Ahoy SH3 Veterans!

I hope there is a kind soul out there who can help me with this.

I'm using ACM Reloaded. I've used OLC GUI in the past, so I'm familiar with the "wheel" targeting methods and concepts. In old OLC GUI mod, you could calculate a firing solution while zoomed out on the attack periscope - but it involved an extra step where you rotated the wheel to a scratch mark.

MY problem is that ACM Reloaded does not have this scratch mark. Despite using Google, searching this forum and reading many posts and PDFs...I just cannot find a straight answer to this problem. All the instructions I found do a great job of telling you how to do it zoomed in, but nothing about being zoomed out.

To illustrate what I'm talking about I've attached two screenshots. In the screenshot scenario, finding the AOB while zoomed in is not possible from this range because the ship is wider than the marks on the scope. However, if I zoom out it's about 22 marks...but how do I convert this into a solution? Is there an extra step I'm missing or what?

If you can do zoomed-out attacks in the old OLC GUI mods, I fail to see why you shouldn't be able to do it in this mod. I think there is an extra step that hasn't been very well documented (at least anywhere I've looked lol).

TL;DR
In ACM Reloaded, how do you calculate a firing solution on the attack scope while zoomed out?

I'd ultimately like to use this information to make a step-by-step video tutorial, then put it on YouTube for other newcomers to SH3.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zoomed In.jpg (90.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Zoomed Out.jpg (91.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-18-16, 08:26 PM   #2
ValoWay
Lieutenant

Downloads: 103

try if a little less than 15 works
ValoWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-16, 12:03 AM   #3
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901

You searched here?:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...171019&page=25
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-16, 04:53 AM   #4
Mr Elusive
Swabbie

Icon7

Quote:
try if a little less than 15 works
Thanks ValoWay, I'll give that a quick try that today and see if it works.

ivanov, are you referring to the thread or the Maik's FTP server?

I had a poke around on the FTP server and found a karamazovnew (ACM mod author) directory. Inside that was a "Manual Targeting" ZIP file with a Word document. It's 31 pages, so I'm going to give it a proper read when I finish work today. Maybe there's a formula or something in there.

Many thanks to both of you for helping out
Old 10-19-16, 05:01 AM   #5
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901

Yeah,
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-16, 04:14 PM   #6
Mr Elusive
Swabbie

Icon14

Update:

I fired up the old OLC GUI (v1.2.7) and made a mental note of where the scratch mark was. Lo-and-behold, ValoWay was right - it's just below the 15 marks. I tested the zoomed-out method using ACM Reloaded and it worked perfectly! For anyone interested, these were the exact steps I followed based on OLC's tutorial videos he did:

Finding Range:
  1. Line periscope with the waterline of the target.
  2. Count the number of vertical marks from the waterline to the highest mast.
  3. Find the number of marks on the marks ring.
  4. Drag & rotate the marks ring until the value lines up with the "scratch mark" below 15 on the AOB ring.
  5. Find mast height on basis ring and use the value it lines up with on the range ring.

Finding AOB:
  1. Find mast height value on basis ring.
  2. Click & drag to the ship length value on the basis ring.
  3. Click & drag from the "scratch mark" so it lines up with 90 degrees on the AOB ring.
  4. Count the number of horizontal marks to the from the center to the front of the ship.
  5. Find the number of marks on the marks ring and use the value it lines up with on the AOB ring.

I managed to sink a ship on the torpedo tutorial level using this method. Obviously I had to approach a bit closer to the target to do this.

One thing I did discover is that torpedoes have a minimum range of 250m before they arm. If you're engaging ships at that kind of range, you're probably way too close to begin with! So I can kind-of understand why some players never attack while zoomed-out; you're far more likely to get spotted.

Nonetheless, this was a great learning experience for me. Sometimes you gotta experiment or just ask someone who knows.

Thanks a million guys

PS: I will get round to reading that targeting manual at some point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scratch Mark.jpg (32.0 KB, 16 views)

Tags
acm reloaded, manual targeting, tutorial