SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-29-15, 02:56 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

radar The U.S. Navy Wants To Fly Big Drones From Small Ships

This is the smart alternative to carriers, if you ask me. Imagine fast stealthy ships that can launch and manage dozens of drones. Helluva lot more capable than floating cities. The drones can even be piloted by personnel stateside.

Quote:
DARPA has chosen Northrop Grumman to build for the Pentagon a long-range drone that can fly from smaller U.S. Navy ships. The drone, known as TERN, resembles experimental tail-sitting aircraft from the 1950s.

TERN stands for Tactically Exploited Reconnaissance Node program. The name is a lot to unpack, but basically, the TERN program seeks to put medium altitude, long endurance unmanned aerial vehicles on U.S. Navy ships, where sailors can operate them from helicopter flight decks. TERN will give ships as small as the Independence-class Littoral Combat Ship the ability to launch, operate, and recover drones in roughly the same class as the Air Force's MQ-1 Predator.

According to FlightGlobal, Northrop's TERN will have a 40-foot wingspan, no fuselage, and a pair of contra-rotating propellers similar to helicopters produced by Russia's Kamov Design Bureau. Contra-rotating propellers allow you to make compact aircraft—an important design consideration when operating from small ships. TERN will have a range of approximately 900 nautical miles, a cargo capacity of 600 lbs., and will be equipped with hard points for carrying sensors, fuel tanks, and weapons under each wing. For example, TERN could mount Hellfire anti-tank missiles or the rocket-based Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/mili...y-tern-drones/

Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-15, 03:58 PM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I shouldn't discount the carrier though, drones will be no match for interceptors from say, Russia or China so will only be useful where total air superiority is ensured.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-15, 06:15 PM   #3
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Air war is just one option ... what about anti-ship warfare or just plain survey the areas in front of the fleet?

The Ohio class submarine is getting too old for missiles.
Fit the first Ohio class sub to become available for drone wars
to come.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-15, 08:30 PM   #4
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Cool drone wars. Let 'em fight and leave humans out of it.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-15, 09:28 AM   #5
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

My fictional Navy-2025 suggestion has trimaran carriers with AEW and patrol drones. The idea is that with the great UAV endurance you could provide same capability (2 AEW aircraft in the air) with fewer airframes and smaller sortie rates.
Old 01-07-16, 07:32 PM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I shouldn't discount the carrier though, drones will be no match for interceptors from say, Russia or China so will only be useful where total air superiority is ensured.
Well, I don't know. We could create interceptor drones, couldn't we? Send them in with the bombing drones and the surveillance drones. When Russia or China sends in an interceptor, fire a guided missile at them. That's what a pilot would do.

Anyway, when Trump is president, the US and Russia will be tight as thieves. If we can get China to go along, there won't be any issues we can't solve.
Old 01-08-16, 10:50 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Well, I don't know. We could create interceptor drones, couldn't we? Send them in with the bombing drones and the surveillance drones. When Russia or China sends in an interceptor, fire a guided missile at them. That's what a pilot would do.

Anyway, when Trump is president, the US and Russia will be tight as thieves. If we can get China to go along, there won't be any issues we can't solve.
You'll certainly need China to go along before the NK situation can be resolved

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carriers, drones