SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-10, 10:00 AM   #16
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
Odd.
Not really. They were Type II's.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 09:52 PM   #17
vonTorpitz
Seaman

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

Think of this:
A mix of old and new. Id love to have back the old style crew management screen with its slots for the entire crew and the abilities to move them around between jobs and watches as well the experience, medals, rank promotions and specialization options for the whole crew of the boat. But the new system is good too because it actually lets you have more control over your officers and gives them each a unique skill set with which you can enhance their skills in time of need. The whole crew need not be depicted in actual 3d renderings in the boat. We could just assume they were there or in their racks, sleeping.
It seems to me that if this idea was possible; the merging of both crew management styles, old and new into one new all encompassing system. We would indeed have this problem beat and it would prove better and more immersive than anything offered to date.
Also as a footnote, the unique skills of each officer must be accessible by the commander regardless of where he is on the boat. In real type VII U-Boats there was a system of speaking tubes leading from the conning tower from which orders could be relayed to the control room and then throughout the boat. While in the control room the commander could use a ships PA to issue commands to the crew. For example, he didn't have to run all the way forward to ask the torpedo officer to pre-cook the eels, he would have issued the command through the PA or via the boats speaking tubes. This should be simulated in the UI through an officer command menu. As it stands, even with DarkWriath's awesome UI mod, we still have to run the length of the boat to get access to the officer buffs.

vonTorpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 07:47 AM   #18
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

anyone dealt with this?

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 01:50 PM   #19
rob zombie
Seaman

Downloads: 154

I would like to see the old crew management comming back too, maybe it does maybe it doesn't, who knows.
rob zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 07:49 AM   #20
Redeemer
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 2

Indeed, crew management is the thing that is missed by me also.
So what I have done is ive looked at SH3 folders to try and find how is that crew management system works...
I was able to find pictures of the crew and for my not surprise I found same pictures in a same folder in SH5 data only file type converted. Even cfg files regarding crew are there with names and such.
And also I found new pictures in SH5 data, there are indicators of water (seems flooding) and fire. So I assume that devs were thinking about adding fire on board as well, but im just speculating on that.
So to me it looks like everything what is needed is in there. Only trouble is that I have no clue how to string it all together, if its even needed, or there must be a line somewhere that just switching that crew management and damage system on. hm?
So, would be nice if experienced modders could lend a hand and may be we can bring that crew management back to SH5.

edit: I was looking around and found that I can use build in SH5 menu editor, I opened it up and my brain began to melt lol

Last edited by Redeemer; 09-14-10 at 12:21 PM.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew management, experience, medals, mods, sh5