SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-23-22, 04:05 AM   #1
Sammy-rai
Seaman

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo Attack vs IJN Subs at Night

Here is a video of my Gato-class sub attacking and fatally damaging an IJN midget submarine. The USS Silversides also torpedoed (and eventually sank with a 2nd torpedo - not shown) the midget's larger consort, an IJN Jyunsen Type 1 submarine.

It's been awhile since I last played SH4 so I was a little rusty and at first couldn't get a lock on the targets, which in turn prevented measuring the range using the stadimeter. So you can see in the video that instead of the torpedoes being fired from a relative 345 degree bearing as I had planned, they were fired late from around 20-30 degrees. Also, I was unaware that the lead ship was a midget sub until after I had l already launched a torpedo towards it. And then I got lucky, since the midget sub began an evasive turn which led it right back into the torpedo's path..

As far as I knew it was not possible to sink a midget sub in SH4 so this was a big thrill for me. I'm playing with the FOTRS mod so maybe one of their modders made the midget submarine vulnerable to attacks. If so, thanx.

Note: because the engagement occurred around midnight, the original video was too dark for clear viewing. So I found a free video editor on the net and used it to brighten the video. I then became interested in the video editor's other features and played with them, producing a 'real' video, using bells and whistles the editor offered. So maybe the result is a little over-the-top but making it was fun. Took about 5 hours. If there is a next time it will probably take about 2.

Sammy-rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 05:36 PM   #2
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Nice job, especially since submarines are difficult prey. And dangerous, if AI vessel torpedoes have been modded in. Nasty little fellows.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 08:28 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You can thank keltos01 and peabody for the subs, with help from other modders of the day back then. You can also thank s7rikeback and CapnScurvy for making them compatible with FotRSU, and especially for making not just the Ko Hyoteki sinkable, but that Type 1 also... they were built as player's subs, and as such were almost bullet-proof. One thing we all learned, is that since those particular subs are surface-only AI versions, that the Type 1 can shoot star shells. Interesting. I am sure, that if they could, they would rather dive first, shoot later... lol

Just a little heads-up, in that the Ko Hyoteki was turning to shoot at you, and probably did not know the torpedo was coming. The Type 1 either saw the torp track, or your periscope, hence the star shells. That sub turns slow, but would also eventually try to turn to target you. They can be scary fun in the mod. Nice video. You are now hooked... lol

Of note, if you noticed it, the midget was doing a "diesel" sound when you first had the camera on it? We hope that it is only electric sounds in the future... we did find issue in the configuration of most of the AI subs, and hopefully the Ko Hyoteki will no longer exhibit that issue - maybe. As for the Type 1, if you notice, the conn looks more than a pinch odd, with a luminescence about it, and also like someone turned the interior lights on... Thanks to vickers03, that issue might also be gone. It was an extra, empty texture node in the dat file, that once removed, allowed a proper texture rendering. So the next release (v1.8) should have an even better AI Sub encounter than what you had. Just remember though, that thanks to the early work of modders such as DarkFish, JHapprich and others, along with further tweaking by CapnScurvy and s7rikeback, that the AI subs, whether on the surface or submerged, can shoot torpedoes and or guns (or both) at you... Oh Boy!!!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote