SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-22, 01:01 PM   #16
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
... Last point of interest: Is there a Sh(3)_Cmdr Version for Sh4, as well?
There is the Warham KSDCommander. I am not certain of its functionality with the more recent updates of the mod though, and have not tried to use it...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-22, 01:54 PM   #17
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
There is the Warham KSDCommander. I am not certain of its functionality with the more recent updates of the mod though, and have not tried to use it...
Have seen, mention... of the use of KSD Commander, from... I believe, is from Twos mod set.

Not clear or sure of the exact, particulars of doing so, though...

Hopefully, someone, with knowledge of doing so... Will chime in here with either, an answer or shoot a spot light on where to read up on that procedural process of doing it...

Old 05-09-22, 03:19 PM   #18
propbeanie

Well, from what I remember, the KSD Commander was going to be SH4 first, then with SH3 and SH4 adaptations, but I have not seen it in the KSD mods... I did find the thread / post you're referring to:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...025#post435025

the last two pages of the thread has skwasjer talking about taking it up, and Potoroo bowing out, after getting code from JScones. I wish them guys were still around... along with all of the others...

Old 05-09-22, 03:25 PM   #19
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I'll have to check but seems I remember having gotten the source code at one time.
Old 05-09-22, 03:34 PM   #20
propbeanie

I'll help as I can, but my Delphi is practically nill... I do still have my old Borland package for DOS downstairs somewhere, if the disks are still readable... and my "C" was from 16-bit DOS also... but I do remember more of it, which is just enough to make me dangerous when attempting scripts in 010 Editors... lol

Old 05-16-22, 11:51 AM   #21
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

Thank you all for checking on this topic!
Old 05-16-22, 12:16 PM   #22
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
1. Coooorrrrreeeect. Very useful, for frame of reference, & added bene's, of being able to copy the guts of it... to drop into a new minted apt named folder (named whatever other mod you decide to go with... example: O.M.-DWv6), should you decide to roll with another mod set up, & makes it easier, to do so.

Be prepared, is the watch word. Better to have it & not need it, than to Need & want it... & NOT have it.

2. Yes, again... correct. The package for KSD II: Ace, will have everything you need & iirc, should have JSGME in the set. I do believe.

If not, if you have SH3 set ups, & have them modded via JSGME... is but a simple task, to just copy JSGME application, & paste it into the SH4 folder/s (depending on, should you chose to go with more than 1 modded version of SH4 v1.5)

3. MultiSH4, found here:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...do=file&id=433

4. 4GB patch, is 1 method of assigning the SH4.exe, 4GB's of RAM access, but... Myself... I find it loads easier, to just simply use LAA, instead. It is a... simple, 3 step process...

1. Tell LAA where the .exe is located.

2. Check mark the box, to set that .exe with access to 4GB's RAM useage...

3. Click Accept... &....

Done.!

To make it simple to find, LAA can be found... here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/a...0_4-zip.34392/

M. M.

Here are the first follow-up questions

1. Do I unzip KSD II with 7Zip or WinZip?

2. Do I install the LAA in the same partition as the game is installed in, i.e., D:\?

3. Do the IX type boats come with full interiors?

4. Does the game also work on 1280 x 1024 (19''; 1.25) monitors?

Also, I read a lot about game crashes in the forum thread. Seems to run a bit unstabil or has it been fixed since then?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 05-16-22, 03:22 PM   #23
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Here are the first follow-up questions

1. Do I unzip KSD II with 7Zip or WinZip?

2. Do I install the LAA in the same partition as the game is installed in, i.e., D:\?

3. Do the IX type boats come with full interiors?

4. Does the game also work on 1280 x 1024 (19''; 1.25) monitors?

Also, I read a lot about game crashes in the forum thread. Seems to run a bit unstabil or has it been fixed since then?

Many thanks in advance!
Ok, by the numbers here...

1. Can use either one, though My personal preference is... in using 7zip to unzip mod packs. Is free to download, free to use & works just fine. Add to that, is really pain free in ability to use it right out of the box. Can install anywhere... even in that pesky terror-tory known of, as UAC controlled 'Program files'... area on your C drive.

2. No. Can as with 7zip, drop its install anywhere on the computer hard drive... as with 7zip, is really easy to use.

Is a simple 3 step process, to it.. point at where the game ( or for use with any other game for that matter... that needs reassignment of RAM access more than the 2 GB range) is installed, to the .exe for that game/sim... check the box to have it tagged for unrestricted access to 4 GB's of RAM... & finally... click the accept to lock it in.

That's it... eazy peazy, mac & cheezy... so simple, a cave man could do it.

3. There is a full interior add on mod, for use with KSD II: Ace, & wanna say... I believe there is... but... don't hold My feet to the fire on that, if I am mistaken on that. have not really set out on a career in a Type IX, to be completely frank about that... in KSD II: Ace... yet.

I know, that the Type II & the VII's, do... just not completely sure on the IX's.

4. It plays b...e...a...utiful, on My monitor, & it is a 16x9 screen rez, yours, is not that far removed so I believe... that the WxH ratio there... should be similar.

It is just a matter of going into the options settings once you've finalized everything... & selecting the graphics selection choice, once in that menu... nothing more than choosing your monitor's native resolution scale there. Finalize that by clicking the accept changes... &... done.

The nice thing about SH4 is... unlike 3, it was made to be able to choose your monitors set up on rez... whereas 3 was either the choice of play it in full screen or leave it as was... in the old monitor set up size.

Think, '05 was when they started to really intro wide screen monitors... well, the early on precursors to wide screen monitors. Haven't really kept up with everything computers, nigh on 20+ years... of course, having 2 kids... will tend to do that.

As for CTD's... think, about 50% of them, are tied to RAM... as the newer stuff nowadays, runs with more speed than when say... SH3/4 came out... so using either the patch kit or LAA, does help alleviate that part.

As for the rest... is any number of things that can cause them... bad ship scripting on travel, bad equip calls... ship naming... basically, modder errors that inadvertently happen. Hey, modders are still human, & make mistakes... just like the rest of us do.

If we didn't... then pencils (& some pens, even.. ) would have no need, for that red (or any other color, for that matter) monstrosity called... an eraser...

As always, hope this helps...

M. M.
Old 05-17-22, 04:58 AM   #24
Kapitän
The Old Man

@Mad Mardigan: Many thanks! I'll check that out and come back to you
Old 05-17-22, 09:18 AM   #25
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
@Mad Mardigan: Many thanks! I'll check that out and come back to you

Okay, I installed KSDII, with the 1.4.1 patch (SH4 version is now is 1.5); I also installed MultiSH4 and LAA as described.

Game loaded and I started a Campaign: Everything seems to work fine.

It's quite a different game though, when compared with Sh3. I went to the Training Acadamy ... no CTD so far.

A few more questions:

1. Is there something like a Game Manual available? I couldn't find one in the game folder.

2. Is there any way to change the ordered patrol grid?

3. Is there anyway to change the uboat number?

4. How can one collaps the Chronometer, Compass, Clock on the bottom of the screen (they actually seem to block access to some of the other commands)?

5. About the Graphics: I have the graphic card in my signature. Are there any best-practice graphic card settings which could be applied? Is there a setting in the game options, with which one can get rid of the jagged edges?

6. Last question for now: How can I increase the renown, in order to give me a little head start into the campaign?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by Kapitän; 05-17-22 at 12:56 PM.
Kapitän is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-22, 05:45 PM   #26
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Okay, I installed KSDII, with the 1.4.1 patch (SH4 version is now is 1.5); I also installed MultiSH4 and LAA as described.

Game loaded and I started a Campaign: Everything seems to work fine.

It's quite a different game though, when compared with Sh3. I went to the Training Acadamy ... no CTD so far.

A few more questions:

1. Is there something like a Game Manual available? I couldn't find one in the game folder.

2. Is there any way to change the ordered patrol grid?

3. Is there anyway to change the uboat number?

4. How can one collaps the Chronometer, Compass, Clock on the bottom of the screen (they actually seem to block access to some of the other commands)?

5. About the Graphics: I have the graphic card in my signature. Are there any best-practice graphic card settings which could be applied? Is there a setting in the game options, with which one can get rid of the jagged edges?

6. Last question for now: How can I increase the renown, in order to give me a little head start into the campaign?

Many thanks in advance!
By the numbers again... shall we...

1. Not sure if there is a, like... pdf of a manual or not. Perhaps someone may know of 1.

I, generally rely on using the 'F1' key, to pull up a sort of in game 'manual' if you will. This has a lot of info regarding commands, & other info that is very useful.

As it goes, most of the commands & such to run a career... are pretty well, standard, straight forward ones. Which, makes it pretttty easy, to master doing what you need to, to sally forth on your career.

2. I believe, in this... you're meaning... is there like there is in SH3, an add in patch, so as to be able to radio in & get a change of patrol sector.

If that is indeed the case, then that'd be a rock solid... NO.

There is no such patch like that... to add in, as it's NOT needed. Ubi, when they did up SH4... eliminated the methodology of doing a patrol in SH3... & refined it.

How they did so, was in a simple means of sending in a status report. How that works is... complete your primary (& in some cases dependent on the mission... secondary or add on objectives, to the primary one) objectives. Once that is done, simply opening up the log book or messages clipboard... find the envelope icon (that's your status report button), click on that & presto chango... you'll receive further orders... or not. Just depends on certain files, I think like the campaign ones... someone with a bit more knowledge, can further enhance answering that... I just know the bare bones of all that witch craft that is SH4...

Think the longest stretch of objectives I had, was like 6... with a couple of them, having any where from 1 to 3 secondary ones, once... on 1 patrol.

On the other hand, have had a few times, where I go out on patrol... 1 primary & maaayyybeeee a secondary attached to it (or not) & go to radio in & got a reply back, 'Good job.! Nothing further, return to base, or exercise complete autonomy & patrol away to your hearts content and RTB at your earliest convenience... or some such like that...

Which, brings us to...

3. Believe there is... but, would have to ask one of the others with more knowledge & experience on the inner workings on doing that. I believe, that any editing of files... namely in the save folder, I would hazard a guess here... would need doing WHILE in base, never while out on patrol. 2ndly, a good practice to instill, is to make sure to back up ANY files you look to tamper with... just in case you goof up.

Can't stress that last part, nearly enough...

Been there, done that... often with disastrous results...

I assume... that you are referring to the controls (speed telegraph, compass, depth control, clock) located far right hand of the controls panel, as shown in the attached pic (high lit in DeepSkyBlue ) then... if so, yesss.... but, in a very, very limited fashion.

In the command bar (far... FAR left hand side there... high lit in RoyalBlue ) is a lock switch, that will allow the command bar to drop... taking the clock with it, YET... the remaining controls... won't.

Now, if instead... you mean the controls (high lit up in PaleGreen ) those, can be closed out by clicking on the teeny, tiny box that far top left box, among all the other ones. That 1 there, is the one that will close out all other mini controls that you can pull up to use... when you click on them.

5. On this one... I don't really do much on editing in the graphics card, so much... so not real sure on any advice to give there... so, the best I can say is... on allowing another more versed in that, take a swing for the fences on that question.

Sorry...

Know that is not the end result, you were asking for on that, but... (I feel & follow a strict policy) if I do NOT know, at all... better to find out from someone who does...

6. As with # 5, here... best to let another more versed in that... respond. Not real sure on means or methodology... Sorry.

Hope that what I was able to reply on, is helpful & of use here... as always.

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 05-18-22 at 01:06 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-22, 07:43 AM   #27
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
By the numbers again... shall we...

1. Not sure if there is a, like... pdf of a manual or not. Perhaps someone may know of 1.

I, generally rely on using the 'F1' key, to pull up a sort of in game 'manual' if you will. This has a lot of info regarding commands, & other info that is very useful.

As it goes, most of the commands & such to run a career... are pretty well, standard, straight forward ones. Which, makes it pretttty easy, to master doing what you need to, to sally forth on your career.

2. I believe, in this... you're meaning... is there like there is in SH3, an add in patch, so as to be able to radio in & get a change of patrol sector.

If that is indeed the case, then that'd be a rock solid... NO.

There is no such patch like that... to add in, as it's NOT needed. Ubi, when they did up SH4... eliminated the methodology of doing a patrol in SH3... & refined it.

How they did so, was in a simple means of sending in a status report. How that works is... complete your primary (& in some cases dependent on the mission... secondary or add on objectives, to the primary one) objectives. Once that is done, simply opening up the log book or messages clipboard... find the envelope icon (that's your status report button), click on that & presto chango... you'll receive further orders... or not. Just depends on certain files, I think like the campaign ones... someone with a bit more knowledge, can further enhance answering that... I just know the bare bones of all that witch craft that is SH4...

Think the longest stretch of objectives I had, was like 6... with a couple of them, having any where from 1 to 3 secondary ones, once... on 1 patrol.

On the other hand, have had a few times, where I go out on patrol... 1 primary & maaayyybeeee a secondary attached to it (or not) & go to radio in & got a reply back, 'Good job.! Nothing further, return to base, or exercise complete autonomy & patrol away to your hearts content and RTB at your earliest convenience... or some such like that...

Which, brings us to...

3. Believe there is... but, would have to ask one of the others with more knowledge & experience on the inner workings on doing that. I believe, that any editing of files... namely in the save folder, I would hazard a guess here... would need doing WHILE in base, never while out on patrol. 2ndly, a good practice to instill, is to make sure to back up ANY files you look to tamper with... just in case you goof up.

Can't stress that last part, nearly enough...

Been there, done that... often with disastrous results...

I assume... that you are referring to the controls (speed telegraph, compass, depth control, clock) located far right hand of the controls panel, as shown in the attached pic (high lit in DeepSkyBlue ) then... if so, yesss.... but, in a very, very limited fashion.

In the command bar (far... FAR left hand side there... high lit in RoyalBlue ) is a lock switch, that will allow the command bar to drop... taking the clock with it, YET... the remaining controls... won't.

Now, if instead... you mean the controls (high lit up in PaleGreen ) those, can be closed out by clicking on the teeny, tiny box that far top left box, among all the other ones. That 1 there, is the one that will close out all other mini controls that you can pull up to use... when you click on them.

5. On this one... I don't really do much on editing in the graphics card, so much... so not real sure on any advice to give there... so, the best I can say is... on allowing another more versed in that, take a swing for the fences on that question.

Sorry...

Know that is not the end result, you were asking for on that, but... (I feel & follow a strict policy) if I do NOT know, at all... better to find out from someone who does...

4. As with # 5, here... best to let another more versed in that... respond. Not real sure on means or methodology... Sorry.

Hope that what I was able to reply on, is helpful & of use here... as always.

M. M.

Many thanks! Still figuring out some of the details ...

Re.1: F1 is okay but a few more details would be helpful. I will post this question as a separate post.

Re.2 & 3: Yes! Was mostly a question directed toward a possible Commander functionality but I understand, that this is not available for the time being ... so, it's okay.

Re.4: Thanks for explaining. Yes. its about the speed telegraph, compass, depth control and clock. They do actually block the view to some other gauges, e.g., fuel/battery/air, but also the Ship Recognition manual, where I can't seem to turn the pages because of it.

Unfortunately, they don't disappear when applying the above. I wonder if there is a way to "simply" remove them ...

Re.5: Clear! I will ask this question as a separate post.

If okay for you, I will ask my questions here, as I'm gong through the different stages of the Training Academy.

Many thanks again!
Old 05-18-22, 01:02 PM   #28
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Many thanks! Still figuring out some of the details ...

Re.1: F1 is okay but a few more details would be helpful. I will post this question as a separate post.

Re.2 & 3: Yes! Was mostly a question directed toward a possible Commander functionality but I understand, that this is not available for the time being ... so, it's okay.

Re.4: Thanks for explaining. Yes. its about the speed telegraph, compass, depth control and clock. They do actually block the view to some other gauges, e.g., fuel/battery/air, but also the Ship Recognition manual, where I can't seem to turn the pages because of it.

Unfortunately, they don't disappear when applying the above. I wonder if there is a way to "simply" remove them ...

Re.5: Clear! I will ask this question as a separate post.

If okay for you, I will ask my questions here, as I'm going through the different stages of the Training Academy.

Many thanks again!
Not a problem... glad to help as best as I am able to...

M. M.
Old 05-19-22, 07:27 AM   #29
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Not a problem... glad to help as best as I am able to...

M. M.

Okay, I'm still with a type II boat in the Navigation part of the Training Academy.

Bridge (F4):
- Can the UZO be taken down and back up?
- Can the rotating Beacon Antenna be retracted?
- Apparently, there is a Searchlight installed. How can this be operated?
- Can the position of each bridge watch crew be changed (it seems, that they are pretty much fixed)?

Crew Mgmt.(F7):
- Is my observation correct, that the shifts change every 8h and that the shift on duty is marked in grey (I, II, III)?
- I only see one (1) crew member per shift in the engine room. Is this a correct observation?
- I suppose, the Bow Torpedo Compartment would only be manned, if torpedoes need to be reloaded (as in Sh3), yes?
- Which function has the station "Conning Tower"? When I place a crew member in there, I don't see anyone in the C/T ...
- Which function has the station "Mooring Crew"? What happens when crew members are placed there?

Radio Crew:
- Instead of the radio station, the sonar station is manned. In the crew managment (F7), there is only one crew spot per shift. So, I'm wondering, how both can be manned and/or switched out between the two?

Radio Room (F8):
- There is an option for a "Captian Log". How can this be filled?

Weapons Officer:
- Is there W/O support for torpedo attacks? Or can this only be managed/set via the Realism Settings?

Sorry, for all the questions and I'm sure that as I get more aquainted with the game, they will become less.
Old 05-19-22, 09:47 AM   #30
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Okay, I'm still with a type II boat in the Navigation part of the Training Academy.

Bridge (F4):
- Can the UZO be taken down and back up?
- Can the rotating Beacon Antenna be retracted?
- Apparently, there is a Searchlight installed. How can this be operated?
- Can the position of each bridge watch crew be changed (it seems, that they are pretty much fixed)?

Crew Mgmt.(F7):
- Is my observation correct, that the shifts change every 8h and that the shift on duty is marked in grey (I, II, III)?
- I only see one (1) crew member per shift in the engine room. Is this a correct observation?
- I suppose, the Bow Torpedo Compartment would only be manned, if torpedoes need to be reloaded (as in Sh3), yes?
- Which function has the station "Conning Tower"? When I place a crew member in there, I don't see anyone in the C/T ...
- Which function has the station "Mooring Crew"? What happens when crew members are placed there?

Radio Crew:
- Instead of the radio station, the sonar station is manned. In the crew managment (F7), there is only one crew spot per shift. So, I'm wondering, how both can be manned and/or switched out between the two?

Radio Room (F8):
- There is an option for a "Captian Log". How can this be filled?

Weapons Officer:
- Is there W/O support for torpedo attacks? Or can this only be managed/set via the Realism Settings?

Sorry, for all the questions and I'm sure that as I get more aquainted with the game, they will become less.

Bridge (F4):

A. No, but could it... no idea. Would be a very nice immersive addition, if it can be done.

B. See A, above.

C. As with B, see A, above.

D. Not that I am aware of... they're pretty much set in stone, as far as I know of... not to say, that I may be mistaken about that. Now, that said... you can move them about, in the... crew mgmt page (F7) but... beyond that... not as far, as I know... no.

Crew Mgmt.(F7):

A. Crew rotation, is preset to a... 8 hr shift, which... is a nice addition, since it frees you up to concentrate more on commanding the boat, a bit more than it did in 3.

B. Seeing as how, the Type II, is a smaller sub.. thereby is not going to need nowhere near the man power that say... a VII or IX is... 1 would be a bare minimum, I'd think... though feel 2 would be more... relative in terms of that room being manned. This would give the chief crew man there, a... runner if you will, an extra set of hands.

C. For that area, a simple calling it the... torpedo room, would be more apt... (especially on a Type II, seeing as how it only had 1 such room... unlike the VII's or the other follow up sus did. )

During a patrol, would figure that crew would only really be assigned in there... or... at least fully manned at any rate... during say, an attack.... yes.

Other times, keeping say... 1 or at best, 2 in the event of say... an emergency situation of damage occurring & flooding being a danger... but, outside of that... BUT... to be frank about it.. not real sure of what the operational doctrine was about all the sections & their 'manned readiness' state was to be. not having served in the navy, much less aboard a ship.

So... I can only surmise or take a very WAG here, about that. So, on that note... take that with a very big, T3 cargo load of sea salt, for what its worth...

D. From what I know, there is if you look to the bow while in the conning tower, is a set of controls there... that would operate the rudder, thereby the means to steer the sub to either port or starboard. Just as there would be, in the control room. While surfaced, it would make it to where the crew on bridge, (including the skipper, as well.) would NOT have to shout down into the sub through the conning tower.. or shout into those voice tubes, either... I would imagine...

Think, that it was left out, of having the animation & the space lacking the recognition of the player assigning a crew man to that position... is why we don't see them taking up that position &... being active while there.

E. When any ship comes in, to dock, you have a set of crew, that takes up 'docking stations' aka 'mooring'... that I know of. Those assigned to that, then toss to guys on the dock, mooring lines aka ropes that then get tied off... thereby, securing the ship while in dock.

As with D., above... think this is limited owing to the lack of proper animation to show that interaction when you do an RTB*. (Return To Base*)

Radio Crew:

A. On that... if you're using that interior mod for KSD II: Ace, then would have to ask them (the maker of said mod) about that... no ideas there... Sorry. Have wondered about that, as well.... but just shrugged & just let it slip by the wayside...

Radio Room (F8):

A. That, is auto filled in for you... as you progress, get radio flash traffic, aka messages & such... even when you run across target/s & sink them. So is not something you have to deal with, 'filling out'.

This, function... holds the same back in 3, as well... so if you're used to it there... that hasn't changed with 4, either.

Weapons Officer:

A.

If by this, you're asking about using the weapons officer or the Wachoffizier (1WO), then... believe that would be the same methodology... as say in SH3... in the options menu. Selecting the... no contacts... (I believe is the right option there) & leaving the weapons officer assist option unchecked.

After that, is a matter of using the options in the peri icon on the command bar, to have them ID ships, plot a torp attack solution, as well as open up the tubes & finally... firing the torp off...

Again, if I have all that down right on the path to follow in using them, to do an attack... which, I think I do...

So, yes... it is possible to do & most of that as outlined I beieve is in the options menu... BUT... would NEED doing in the correct menu, as there is 2 of them.

The 1st one, is in the main menu before starting off on a career... the 2nd options menu is located in the office... that filing cabinet, to the left of the door, which is the exit back to main menu.

As for being sorry about asking all these questions... don't be.

The only stupid question, is the 1... never asked.

How else, are you going to learn... if you never ask or are afraid to ask...

As always... hope this is of help.

M. M.