SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-29-22, 11:59 AM   #4816
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
Mods:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisofdt\Wolves Of The Pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.7p3

Again Tambor out of Pearl 9/16/42.

And do you want the entire save folder? uploaded to where? I have a copy ready to send.
I'd suggest mega file upload & share, for hosting that save folder... & to be on the safe side, copy the entire save folder, making sure to 7zip it... 1st before share hosting it...

Mega:

https://mega.io/

After uploading, can click on that upload... & copy the share link for it & post it in a reply post back here...

Hope this helps...

M. M.
Old 06-29-22, 12:22 PM   #4817
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Mods:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisofdt\Wolves Of The Pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.7p3

Again Tambor out of Pearl 9/16/42.

And do you want the entire save folder? uploaded to where? I have a copy ready to send.
Sorry, for the Tambor, when where and how did you get the boat originally? Did you start the game at Fremantle on a certain date with the Tambor and immediately transfer to Pearl for the first mission? Or were you driving a Porpoise (as an example), and was upgraded to the Tambor? If you started at Fremantle in the Tambor, and then immediately transferred to Pearl prior to your first mission, then that can cause the game quite some confusion, since there is a Tambor at Pearl full-time by the time it is active at Fremantle. There are other aspects of the game that are like this... but I am not placing them right now... I have heard that in SH3, you cannot change guns or crew on your first mission, but I have not seen that in SH4 yet...

As MM suggests, Mega is fine, or Google Drive or MS OneDrive. Doesn't matter to me. I used to be able to get them through my email, but the last few tries I have done that with have failed. I am allowed 10G of data, but apparently not when the mailbox is as full as it is...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-22, 02:44 PM   #4818
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

In the FOTRS mod is there a way to change the water density or clarity when viewing underwater? Maybe a value number in one of the .cfg files?
As soon as the sub starts moving away from your view underwater it looks like it's actually going into a solid wall fogbank.
Reminds me of on old Rod Surling Twilight Zone episode when a thick fog bank surrounding a small neighborhood and every time a car would drive into you could actually see the fog wrapping around the car and disappear.
You should be able to see the sub dissipate as it moves away from you as it was in the original game.
Don't get me wrong I'm overjoyed that they got rid of all that damned plankton floating around and how distorted your sub looked in the water.

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 09:35 AM   #4819
propbeanie

The water "clarity" should somewhat alter as you play, like the weather, but does not get as clear as if you use a "clear water" mod, such as what Webster made. We have been going to look into adapting that to the FotRSU mod, but have run into other problems, along with the time factor and real life issues, so have not gotten to look at but a few additions to FotRSU, so maybe the next version, we'll get a chance to look at that. It would be nice to have something to help in that regard for those who like to "video tape" their gameplay from that perspective. Some players have used Webster's Underwater Visibility Mod and claim no problems, but we do not advocate using it, since we have no idea if it affects sensors or anything else in the FotRSU mod. Webster says it doesn't affect the sensors, but FotRSU has portions of Real Environment in it, along with parts of other similar mods, so as to fitness for usability is anyone's guess, unless they thoroughly test. ymmv

Old 07-02-22, 11:52 AM   #4820
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The water "clarity" should somewhat alter as you play, like the weather, but does not get as clear as if you use a "clear water" mod, such as what Webster made. We have been going to look into adapting that to the FotRSU mod, but have run into other problems, along with the time factor and real life issues, so have not gotten to look at but a few additions to FotRSU, so maybe the next version, we'll get a chance to look at that. It would be nice to have something to help in that regard for those who like to "video tape" their gameplay from that perspective. Some players have used Webster's Underwater Visibility Mod and claim no problems, but we do not advocate using it, since we have no idea if it affects sensors or anything else in the FotRSU mod. Webster says it doesn't affect the sensors, but FotRSU has portions of Real Environment in it, along with parts of other similar mods, so as to fitness for usability is anyone's guess, unless they thoroughly test. ymmv

If that is the mod, I think it is... (that adjusts/tweaks both fog & underwater visibility... ) then, I used that in My FotRS-U mod set ups, both with... & without... it, included. Well... up to v1.46, I think... as I don't see it in the mix in the v1.6x preview set up. I also used it in O M: Dark v6, as well and... in My WdaD set up, too.

As far as I could tell of... it did not seem to interfere with sensors... that I could tell of.... BUT... take that, with a convoy of C2 cargo ships, all loaded down with sea salt... for the "what it's worth" department.

As for, this... latest iteration of FotRS-U... can't say... or much less, seeing as how the next version is not yet out... that 1 either. if it'll interfere or not.

As a... suggestion, should the simmer, have the room to do so... would say... do up a separate FotRS-U set up... & try it, and see how it goes... but... that's just... Me... & My .02 worth. *shrug*

Hopefully, this helps... as always.

M. M.
Old 07-04-22, 11:41 AM   #4821
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68
date

Quote:
Sorry, for the Tambor, when where and how did you get the boat originally? Did you start the game at Fremantle on a certain date with the Tambor and immediately transfer to Pearl for the first mission? Or were you driving a Porpoise (as an example), and was upgraded to the Tambor? If you started at Fremantle in the Tambor, and then immediately transferred to Pearl prior to your first mission, then that can cause the game quite some confusion, since there is a Tambor at Pearl full-time by the time it is active at Fremantle. There are other aspects of the game that are like this... but I am not placing them right now... I have heard that in SH3, you cannot change guns or crew on your first mission, but I have not seen that in SH4 yet...

As MM suggests, Mega is fine, or Google Drive or MS OneDrive. Doesn't matter to me. I used to be able to get them through my email, but the last few tries I have done that with have failed. I am allowed 10G of data, but apparently not when the mailbox is as full as it is...

The History: By patrol (my count)

1. Start 12/9/41 Salmon class from Fremantle
2. start 2/19/42 Salmon from Fremantle
3. start 4/28/42 Salmon from Fremantle

Got offered new boat Tambor on 6/10/42

4. Start 7/4/42 Tambor from Fremantle

after returning from patrol, transferred to pearl.

5. start 9/16/42 Tambor from Pearl.
Mission 1: Sulu Sea, Mission 2: Zone F7.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-22, 12:41 PM   #4822
propbeanie

You should not be getting an assignment in the Makassar Strait for your 2nd Pearl assignment. Are you for certain in the Pearl Harbor port? The Flotilla file has no way for the assignment to be given to you there. The first assignment in the Sulu Sea is understandable... It'd just be better if the game actually had you sail from Fremantle to do that, and ~then~ move your home port, but alas, they do not... If you can try that PM link again, we should be able to see something in there. As for your first & 2nd starts, were those at Manila and Surabaya respectively, or maybe Cavite and New Albany?

In the meantime, do you have your JSGME mod list? Thanks

Old 07-06-22, 12:44 AM   #4823
Silent_Theory
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Exclamation Just a first time modder

Hello, i have only limited knowledge modding games and am trying to get this to work, i have installed a fresh SH4 WOTP U-Boat Missions from steam and have added JSGME to the folder and have put the extracted folder of FOTRS into the MODS folder that JSGME checks.

It recognised it and did its thing, i am able to get into the game and get the initial intro, but as it loads the world i get some errors, they are as follows, a few unknown errors and then i get one that says Data/Shaders/VolumetricFog/VolumetricFogPS.fx and also Data/Shaders/InteriorIllumination/HighligthPS.fx then another few unknown errors

What am i doing wrong in this case, can someone help this poor fellow out...

Thanks Sailors
Old 07-06-22, 01:16 AM   #4824
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15 Re: Welcome aboard...

Silent_Theory.!
Old 07-06-22, 08:10 AM   #4825
propbeanie

The first post of this thread has quite a few "Spoiler" tags with activation instructions, and the Support folder of the mod has pdf "help" files Silent_Theory. First of all, you cannot have the game installed under any of the Program Files folders, which is what Steam will default to. If the path to your game is "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApss \Common \Wolves of the Pacific..." or similar, then you will have to either un-install and then re-install the game in a folder of your own creation, or manually move the install. For more on that see Moving a Steam Installation and Games from the Steam Knowledge Base. If you have a 2nd viable hard drive in your computer, you can create a 2nd Steam Library folder there and install SH4 in that new Library. There is a way to "fool" Steam into a 2nd Library on the C: drive, but I cannot find the thread just yet. In any case, the 'modern' Windows will prevent your updating of any file set in the Program Files folders, in an effort to protect you from yourself. Windows does not recognize the Silent Hunter games as proper Windows apps - written during for Windows XP during the "wild west" days of minimal OS "security" - and Windows especially does not like JSGME.exe going behind its back without proper authority and changing cfg and other "system" files. When Windows sees that, it does roll certain of the files back to their original state, and you get a mish-mash of the Stock game and the FotRSU (or any other) mod, which can result in error messages and then game crashes.

Secondly, be certain you are using the correct Steam SH4 start-up. It sounds like you might be using the Wolves of the Pacific startup, and not the U-Boat Missions Add-On version. If you use the Wolves start-up, you are using the Steam v1.3 of the game (they claim it is "fully updated", insinuating it is v1.4, but it is not). That is the usual originator of error messages of files missing, and if you get one about black80.tga file.

You have to empty the Save folder ("C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4") before you play the modded game, and you most likely have to set Properties on the SH4.exe file for Attributes and Compatibility, so that you can get a 4 gig patch file to enable on the SH4.exe file, and to tell Windows to leave it alone as it runs. The Compatibility settings are system dependent.

Old 07-07-22, 04:44 PM   #4826
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter301 View Post
In the FOTRS mod is there a way to change the water density or clarity when viewing underwater? Maybe a value number in one of the .cfg files?
As soon as the sub starts moving away from your view underwater it looks like it's actually going into a solid wall fogbank.
Reminds me of on old Rod Surling Twilight Zone episode when a thick fog bank surrounding a small neighborhood and every time a car would drive into you could actually see the fog wrapping around the car and disappear.
You should be able to see the sub dissipate as it moves away from you as it was in the original game.
Don't get me wrong I'm overjoyed that they got rid of all that damned plankton floating around and how distorted your sub looked in the water.
There is a mod I use to get the water clarity you were looking for. It does not seem to conflict with any files or settings in FOTRSU, but use at your own risk. I've been using it for several years in and all of the FOTRSU releases with no apparent errors or conflicts.

Lite Fog v2 + 300' Underwater Visability (Spelling error is not mine!)

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-22, 04:52 PM   #4827
propbeanie

Quote:
The History: By patrol (my count)

1. Start 12/9/41 Salmon class from Fremantle
2. start 2/19/42 Salmon from Fremantle
3. start 4/28/42 Salmon from Fremantle

Got offered new boat Tambor on 6/10/42

4. Start 7/4/42 Tambor from Fremantle

after returning from patrol, transferred to pearl.

5. start 9/16/42 Tambor from Pearl.
Mission 1: Sulu Sea, Mission 2: Zone F7.
Hello mikesn9, did you get back in from that last patrol? Do you happen to still have those screen grabs you were talking about before? Can you post them to like Imgur.com or similar, and then link them in here please? I just want to have you verify your "Mission 2: Zone F7", and make certain it wasn't "Area 7" instead, off Shikoku Japan. Did you have the Patrol marker and circle in the Makassar Strait? Thanks!

Old 07-08-22, 06:30 PM   #4828
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Please keep all posts on topic...

we do not need any welcome posts, only post if you have a problem, or have a solution...
If you feel the need to increase your post count, please go elsewhere.
Old 07-09-22, 07:47 AM   #4829
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Hello mikesn9, did you get back in from that last patrol? Do you happen to still have those screen grabs you were talking about before? Can you post them to like Imgur.com or similar, and then link them in here please? I just want to have you verify your "Mission 2: Zone F7", and make certain it wasn't "Area 7" instead, off Shikoku Japan. Did you have the Patrol marker and circle in the Makassar Strait? Thanks!

I haven't made it back to Pearl yet, but I'll try to post the screen grabs here.

And yes, I had the star and circle for the mission area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH4Img@2022-07-06_14.13.45_948.jpg (94.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SH4Img@2022-07-06_14.14.05_558.jpg (94.2 KB, 6 views)

I spent the cold war under water.

Last edited by mikesn9; 07-09-22 at 08:40 AM.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-22, 08:13 AM   #4830
propbeanie

OK - from the looks of things, there (hopefully) is nothing to worry about mikesn9. You are still on your first patrol from Pearl with the Sulu Sea assignment, which was the original Fremantle assignment from before you transferred to Pearl. The Area F7 assignment is from a "Status Update" where you sent a message in after completing the Sulu Sea objective, and they gave you the Makassar Strait objective. When you do a Status Update, it takes into account your current location, and assigns the next objective based on that, and not on where you are "home port" based. It is possible, being a CenPac sub and in the CenPac side of the Luzon Straits, to be assigned a South China Seas objective if you call in a Status Update while north of Luzon. The game has no idea of Command divides like SoWesPac or CenPac, and just uses 1000km or 1200km, or whatever the DynamicMiss.cfg file's entry has to base those assignments on. You wouldn't even have to do that Area F7 in Makassar Straits anyway, especially if you're still sinking ships like you had been. The F7 renown is at most 300 points. Just head back for Pearl, and ignore Lockwood's assignment and get back to English's authority area... - good screenies, btw, and thank you for that.