SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-21, 11:00 AM   #31
ns1j
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerfish View Post
Got SH4 (+ uboat missions download from ubisoft homepage) some weeks ago, worked fine for some time. I started a career this week but midway trough the 3rd patrol everything slowed down and froze to the point of being unplayable. And no, Im not near shore, not near any action, no airplanes. And one mission before I could do 2000-4000x no problem.
Reboot / reload save game doesnt help.

Seems like my adventure with SH4 will end here, too bad cause it was fun as long as it worked normally. Ubisoft really should have a look into this.
And, here we are all the way out in 2021 and the problem is still there. It is so random, I can't identify any suspects. Whatever the problem is, it gets saved as code in a Save Game so saving, quitting, and restarting doesn't help. It is a lot more than just a "stutter". The system is unable to monitor the keyboard or mouse, so if you want to do something via the keyboard, such as surface, you must hold the key down for as much as a second.
ns1j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 12:20 PM   #32
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There are all sorts of reasons for that to happen. Number one used to be computer resources, but most modern computers can handle SH4 with two hands tied behind their backs. The use of Time Compression can also cause issues, and if you are shelling out to the Windows desktop to do email or other chores while playing, that can introduce troubles. Also, doing your "Saves" on top of each other, that can also contribute to the issue. Make each Save unique with a new name, and delete old, unneeded Saves - using the game interface...

The Stock game doesn't gain too much advantage by their use, but any modded game will generally benefit from applying either LAA or the 4Gig Patch - LAA is pointing at a CapnScurvy write-up on its use on his new install of Windows 10, and the links for the download are in his thread. The 4Gig Patch is from NTCore, and has a bit of a write-up also. You do need to have a 64-bit Windows to use those little applets. Another way the issue you describe can happen is by a bunch of traffic in your vicinity, which might be an area of roughly 30-100 square kilometers, or 20-60 square miles. The traffic doesn't have to be seen yet, for it to slow you down. But if you have a minimal computer system, no LAA, and encounter a 24 or more ship convoy or Task Force, that can really impact your computer - especially if there are errors involved.

I mention this, because some older mods have improperly terminated ships, that just keep circling the globe, while others keep spawning, and the "group" of ships near you might be 100 or more DD. This was bad in some older FOTRS versions, but it was not alone in this. If that's what you have (FOTRS - not FotRSU), let us know, and we have a small "patch" somewhere on one of my hard drives in the basement we can post somewhere for you...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-21, 05:23 AM   #33
hughesjr
Watch

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns1j View Post
And, here we are all the way out in 2021 and the problem is still there. It is so random, I can't identify any suspects. Whatever the problem is, it gets saved as code in a Save Game so saving, quitting, and restarting doesn't help. It is a lot more than just a "stutter". The system is unable to monitor the keyboard or mouse, so if you want to do something via the keyboard, such as surface, you must hold the key down for as much as a second.
There have not been any updates to the game or many of the mods in more than 10 years .. any issues around back then are still in the code.

One of the biggest problems is the 2GB memory limit. You need version 1.5.0.0 of the game to be able to apply the 4GB memory patch. Have you applied that?
hughesjr is offline   Reply With Quote