SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-14-19, 02:38 AM   #8641
BOjim
Swabbie

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0
Default Possible BUGS!

Hi guy! I really love the mod, but I noticed a couple of issues the other day.

1) I saw a Japanese submarine on the surface just sitting there stationary in the middle of the ocean. I watched it for a while and it did nothing, I eventually torpedoed it and it sank. Is this normal behaviour or a bug?

2) I noticed some of the new ships show up as sonar contacts, but when I go to listen in the hydrophone there's nothing. Even when you get really close you can't hear anything, the green light isn't turning on in the hydrophone either.

Minor issues, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks in advance!
BOjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-19, 03:25 AM   #8642
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

BOjim! welcome to the surface after a 6 year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-19, 11:20 AM   #8643
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOjim View Post
Hi guy! I really love the mod, but I noticed a couple of issues the other day.

1) I saw a Japanese submarine on the surface just sitting there stationary in the middle of the ocean. I watched it for a while and it did nothing, I eventually torpedoed it and it sank. Is this normal behaviour or a bug?

2) I noticed some of the new ships show up as sonar contacts, but when I go to listen in the hydrophone there's nothing. Even when you get really close you can't hear anything, the green light isn't turning on in the hydrophone either.

Minor issues, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks in advance!
This version is no longer being maintained and was the "beta" version, please refer to Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate - Full Release for help, or the update to the new version. Pay attention to clear your Save folder to remove all data from previous versions of the game, so that you don't end up with a "mix" of mods.

Also, yes, the Japanese subs seen in the game will at times be sitting still on the surface. This did happen in real life for all nations' subs. Generally speaking, and engine failure, or a desire to devote all engines to charging the battery is why that would happen, so do as you did, and move in quietly, and sink 'em - "Find 'em, Chase 'em, Sink 'em" - only in this case, you could drop the "Chase 'em" part...

Depending upon the circumstances you encounter, some of the ships will be "silent" to your listening ear, and that is a problem with the games "simulation" of a sonar set. The slower the ship, the more likely of this occurring. It is better in v1, but was also better in v0.9x beta, as compared to previous versions or Stock. Generally speaking, if a ship is going slower than 3 knots, you will not be able to hear it, though your sonarman can track it with watch-like precision...

@ Aktungbby: He was submerged, laying in wait, looking for the FotRSU v1.0 release! ...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-19, 10:43 AM   #8644
BOjim
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
BOjim! welcome to the surface after a 6 year silent run!
Thanks, Aktungbby! It was getting a bit stuffy down there!
Old 12-15-19, 10:57 AM   #8645
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

WELL IT HELPS TO EMPTY THE BIG CAN IN THE ENGINE ROOM!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-19, 11:08 AM   #8646
BOjim
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
This version is no longer being maintained and was the "beta" version, please refer to Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate - Full Release for help, or the update to the new version. Pay attention to clear your Save folder to remove all data from previous versions of the game, so that you don't end up with a "mix" of mods.

Also, yes, the Japanese subs seen in the game will at times be sitting still on the surface. This did happen in real life for all nations' subs. Generally speaking, and engine failure, or a desire to devote all engines to charging the battery is why that would happen, so do as you did, and move in quietly, and sink 'em - "Find 'em, Chase 'em, Sink 'em" - only in this case, you could drop the "Chase 'em" part...

Depending upon the circumstances you encounter, some of the ships will be "silent" to your listening ear, and that is a problem with the games "simulation" of a sonar set. The slower the ship, the more likely of this occurring. It is better in v1, but was also better in v0.9x beta, as compared to previous versions or Stock. Generally speaking, if a ship is going slower than 3 knots, you will not be able to hear it, though your sonarman can track it with watch-like precision...

@ Aktungbby: He was submerged, laying in wait, looking for the FotRSU v1.0 release! ...
Thank you VERY MUCH for getting back to me on this, propbeanie! I had a feeling that pesky sub might have been listening out for me, I just wanted to check that it wasn't bugging out. I'm making a let's play series on YouTube for FOTRSU right now (where I go by "KairoS_"), so I wanted to be absolutely sure it was working properly.

I just hope that next time the Japanese sub is actually on the move and putting up a fight; I'm looking forward to discovering all the tricks those new subs have in store for me!

Fantastic mod!!
Old 12-15-19, 11:11 AM   #8647
BOjim
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
WELL IT HELPS TO EMPTY THE BIG CAN IN THE ENGINE ROOM!
Old 04-27-22, 02:40 PM   #8648
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

Downloads: 511

Default Ship spotted allarm

I have a problem with the mod, in the first mission in the Marshall chain with the Cachalot, the watch crew don't launch the alarm ship spotted, at least at night.
I track enemy ships via sonar but when they came in sight, watch crew see them if i ask if there's any ship in sight but dont launch any allarm ship spotted. Is that a problem of the mod or a new feature?
Old 04-27-22, 05:35 PM   #8649
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArditoCorsaro View Post
I have a problem with the mod, in the first mission in the Marshall chain with the Cachalot, the watch crew don't launch the alarm ship spotted, at least at night.
I track enemy ships via sonar but when they came in sight, watch crew see them if i ask if there's any ship in sight but dont launch any allarm ship spotted. Is that a problem of the mod or a new feature?
Please, refer to post #8643 ...

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=8643

M. M.
Old 05-18-22, 06:38 PM   #8650
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

Default CTd ending mission

In my second war patrol, with a Cachalot, as i try to return to pearl, click end patrol, the patrol end, but loading the video (it's late March 42 and the mission was in empire waters) and the Pearl harbour office, it return to desktop after a long wait with black screen and only mouse cursor appearing. Without any error or warning. I have installed the game correctly, without any other mods, with large address aware, in d, (that's for say it's all ok with the adjustment to make the game work), and never had these problems with previous versions of the mod, and with other mods. Never and i play to sh4 modded with this PC (a normal Asus laptop with 4gb of ram) by years. I'm the guy who reported that the watch crew didn't warn you sometime of ship spotted several days ago.

PS IF i try to restart the mission and ending it immediately it work. I guess is there's some problem related with the saves... The mission lasted for a week or so, in RL, and during the patrol i saved 12 times circa, with blocks of 3 saves for time to avoid that one didn't work, to have a save of reserve practically, ever deleting the previous 3 saves everytime I did exit the game saving again, 3 times with different names ever ofc. I guess in this long time, with all these saves, something gone wrong. If i try to reload another save, it pass the video clip part, and the music of the office start,but it CTd again with black screen, without allowing me even to see the office. Something gone wrong corrupting my saves, never happened before, i mean yes happened in past that some saces was corrupted but never stopped me to return in port, ending the mission, if i did reload another.

Last edited by ArditoCorsaro; 05-18-22 at 07:41 PM.
ArditoCorsaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-22, 09:04 PM   #8651
propbeanie

The post should actually be in the thread Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate. This is the "beta" release thread, but we can manage from here. Can you zip-up the Save folder data, post it to a sharing site, and PM me a link? I would like to see the "CareerTrack.upc" file in the newest Save folder. There will be a line in there with "PlayerCurrentObjectives=IDxxx", with the "xxx" representing a number that points to a file named in the PatrolObjectives.cfg file. With that info, we can look at the file, and see if the mission is the cause of your troubles, which it sounds like it is.

You boat is assigned the next mission file upon your arrival back at base, so once that is assigned, it gets stuck in the game's Save folder data, and you cannot get passed that if you cannot complete the mission. A possible fix is to change that number to a know-good mission assignment, so that the game can finish loading. Then you can go do what you want, or follow orders... There might be another way around it, but it is based upon what the info in the Save folder is.

Out of curiosity, what was the approximate date you came back into port, or else the approximate date it said you would sail? Do you remember the text of the orders you received, as well as the Objective listed near the bottom, or did the game crash before it could take you that far in? Thanks for any more info you can supply. Sorry for your troubles with that.

btw, which version of the mod are you using, and can you use JSGME to generate an activated mods list?

Old 05-19-22, 05:08 AM   #8652
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

Default Ctd

The date is late March 1942 but even if i wait to April or i try to return earlier it happen. The mission orders was only reach the area 6 and wait further orders. And to sink ships. I completed all the objectives. I will try to post a link, i have a problem with internet at my new home now, so I m not sure I will succeed.

I use the last version, all update, the game and the mod (pretty experienced...20 years of subsuming make you automatically to take these adjustment like install the game in d and the rest ��), and the mod list is the your's, as ordered in the mod topic no other mods, fotrsu, plus patch, plus Vickers interiors plus Maru mods and combined roster,then at last periscope splash and ruim addon taken from fortrus extras. Sorry if I don't post the mod list but i write from my handy phone.

Btw i yet tried to edit the save game, one of the severals, but i failed. I will try your suggest to change the objective

Last edited by ArditoCorsaro; 05-19-22 at 08:25 AM.
ArditoCorsaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-22, 09:46 AM   #8653
propbeanie

The "Proceed directly to Area xxx and standby for further orders" assignments are the "Sink" missions, and are rather simple, especially the 8 in the game for Empire Waters. Of those 8, 2 have "Area 6" in their text, which would be Sink Honshu 03 and Sink Honshu 06. Both missions check-out as fine, and completed in testing here. PatrolObjectives.cfg will list them as ID142 and ID145 respectively. As for the add-in mods, vicker's interiors uses the Porpoise set for the Cachalot Class, if I remember correctly, Nippon Maru and Nihon Kaigun plus the combined roster are fine, while the other add-in mods are the ones that have not had as extensive testing as the others. Perhaps we have something amiss in the enlisted rank add-on for RUIM... I do not understand though, why it would crash upon attempting to enter base and dock...

Just to clarify though - you leave for the 2nd patrol, to Empire Waters on a "Sink" mission ("Proceed directly to..." orders). You do the mission, sink some ships, look for more, decide to head back to Pearl to end the patrol. Upon coming into base in late March 1942 (this date does not seem to matter), and you attempt to dock to End Patrol the game crashes - correct?

If so, the "safest" course would be to start the 2nd patrol over from a previous Save, maybe changing the assignment code (the IDxxx number) prior to departure. Now, we did find that the submarine upc files can indeed cause a CTD upon exiting - but exiting the game - not when docking, which is why I am not really suspecting an issue with the ruim add-in, but you could try to back that off before departing... though all indications are that it gets stuck in the Save data... I don't really know the cause, ArditoCorsaro, but if there is some way you can get me a copy of your Save folder when you are coming back to port, but prior to it crashing, I might be able to see something in the Save data... I do understand issues with the internet... I will also look further into the Cachalot sub's settings in the mod with all the mods added that you listed. Thanks. We'll try to at least find what the trouble is that is causing this.

Old 05-19-22, 10:58 AM   #8654
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

Prop i have posted the file you requested on the main page. The media fire link. Btw I tried to edit the save game files, up, career track, etc etc in every way as you suggested but nothing. (I know more or less how to man them)
Old 05-19-22, 01:09 PM   #8655
propbeanie

I have it, thank you. Reply in the main FotRSU thread above...

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...09#post2809409