SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-22, 05:24 PM   #1
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 0
Icon9 No Sh4...

Can't load SH4 on my new PC! And don't understand why, because yesterday I installed the game for the first time on my new PC and manage to load it.

After installation of the game and the update to 1.5, it loaded fine. Changes the graphics and other options, did a war patrol to see if the mission would run fine.

Enable trigger maru overhauled and other mods, also fine. I load a saved patrol and all good.

Today I come to play and black screen when loading and noting. After rebooting the computer and disabling the mods, the intro clips do appear but no loading screen.

Decided to re-install and same thing now.

Bummer and I thought that SH3 would give me problems. It is running fine.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-22, 10:13 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post

Can't load SH4 on my new PC! And don't understand why, because yesterday I installed the game for the first time on my new PC and manage to load it.

After installation of the game and the update to 1.5, it loaded fine. Changes the graphics and other options, did a war patrol to see if the mission would run fine.

Enable trigger maru overhauled and other mods, also fine. I load a saved patrol and all good.

Today I come to play and black screen when loading and noting. After rebooting the computer and disabling the mods, the intro clips do appear but no loading screen.

Decided to re-install and same thing now.

Bummer and I thought that SH3 would give me problems. It is running fine.
Where is the location for the SH4 install.. for 1...

2ndly, assume that you did go into the SH4.exe's properties file & set it from 'read only', Yes..???

That's to start with.

M. M.
Old 03-24-22, 10:23 PM   #3
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Don't know if it would cause that, but did you run Large Address Aware on sh4.exe?
Old 03-25-22, 03:40 AM   #4
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Where is the location for the SH4 install.. for 1...

2ndly, assume that you did go into the SH4.exe's properties file & set it from 'read only', Yes..???

That's to start with.

M. M.
Location is a folder Jogos (games) in the root of C.
Yes,I did that. The box was checked for read only. But only did it after the game began to not load. The first time, which went fine, I did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Don't know if it would cause that, but did you run Large Address Aware on sh4.exe?
No, only read it about it when I began to search for solutions. I noticed something in the link: the installation guide for SH4, the windows media 9 codecs are checked. I unchecked those during my installation. Can that be the problem? I think not,but...
Will try to run the Laa to the game.
Old 03-25-22, 05:00 PM   #5
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

No do!

I already tried also to do a clean install twice and the same problem happens.
I have the felling the problem was cause by me:
As I said, I installed the game, updated to 1.5 and run the first time and went well. Enable the mods I used and run the game again, all fine.

I did run CCleaner before i shutdown the PC for the day; I know that the program do detect some SH3 files when running the registry cleaner and I put them on the ignore list. Normally sh4 files are not pickup by it (at least on my old pc). It could erase something.

Why I bring this, because after my two installations after the issue appeared, there is no SH4 icon on my desktop.

The game just begin and them does not load the main loading screen. My desktop resolution goes to the default game one,but noting appears, just a black game window.

Edit: Resolved! After researching about the problem, I found about the "evil black screen". Just edited the main.cfg and changed synchronised to yes and presto!

Last edited by Rhodes; 03-26-22 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-27-22, 11:21 AM   #6
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Default Helllpppp

I do not understand. Yesterday,has I wrote in the edit above,I manage to get the game running. Today,went to play and got the same problem.
No loading,just a black screen. I already did 2 clean installations and changed the synchronized to yes in the main.cfg in the sh4 folder of my documents,but now,that does not resolve the problem.
I need help!
It appears windows 11 is always reverting something or if Install anything new,she goes beserk.
Just installed steam and U-boat,since I have the game.
Old 05-21-22, 01:36 AM   #7
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
No do!

I already tried also to do a clean install twice and the same problem happens.
I have the felling the problem was cause by me:
As I said, I installed the game, updated to 1.5 and run the first time and went well. Enable the mods I used and run the game again, all fine.

I did run CCleaner before i shutdown the PC for the day; I know that the program do detect some SH3 files when running the registry cleaner and I put them on the ignore list. Normally sh4 files are not pickup by it (at least on my old pc). It could erase something.

Why I bring this, because after my two installations after the issue appeared, there is no SH4 icon on my desktop.

The game just begin and them does not load the main loading screen. My desktop resolution goes to the default game one,but noting appears, just a black game window.

Edit: Resolved! After researching about the problem, I found about the "evil black screen". Just edited the main.cfg and changed synchronised to yes and presto!
I'm having the exact same problem.
Just reloaded my SH4 gold edition (with U-boat upgrade) download from Amazon I purchased back in 2019. No Mods, No tweeks just tried to load and play the game and nothing but black screen after intros.
don't even have any shortcuts I would normally get in the menu bar after loading something up.
The only way I can even try to start the game is to find the file in the C:/ drive and click on the SH4 application icon.
It brings up the start menu but it always does the same thing.
Just shows the intros and goes to black screen.
The only way to get rid if it is to CTL-ALT-DELETE and restart the damned computer. I can't even find the .exe file in the folder to try and adjust compatibility mode. Just keeps pulling up some kind of self help test that restarts the game with the intros and I'm back to CTL-ALT-DELETE and restarting the computer again.
WTH!!!!

Where did you find the main.cfg file to modify?
It's not in my SH4 file anywhere.

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote