SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-03-21, 10:02 AM   #3601
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Is it QM2 ? It doesn't look like it is her.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-21, 10:35 AM   #3602
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Sorry Markus I should have named her.

You are quite correct she is not the Queen Mary2 (150,000 GT) but in fact the smaller Queen Elizabeth (91,000 GT)

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-21, 10:39 AM   #3603
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Sorry Markus I should have named her.

You are quite correct she is not the Queen Mary2 (150,000 GT) but in fact the smaller Queen Elizabeth (91,000 GT)
Cunard Line has three cruise ships. QM2, QE2 and QV

QM2 Queen Mary 2.
QE2 Queen Elizabeth 2.
QV Queen Victoria.

My dream is a world cruise on QM2.

Markus

Old 10-03-21, 10:49 AM   #3604
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

That's quite a dream Markus and I sincerely hope you achieve it some day.

Old 10-03-21, 11:40 AM   #3605
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
My dream is a world cruise on QM2.
Markus
Just make sure U travel P.O.S.H-first class; not steerage!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-03-21 at 11:58 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-21, 11:54 AM   #3606
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Just make sure U travel P.O.S.H-first class; not steerage!
Now I'm curious what is P.O.S.H ?

Secondly If I win the jackpot in Euromillions the trip will be in the Queens suite

But it is and will only be a dream.

Markus

Old 10-03-21, 11:57 AM   #3607
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Now I'm curious what is P.O.S.H ?

Secondly If I win the jackpot in Euromillions the trip will be in the Queens suite

But it is and will only be a dream.

Markus
https://www.lexico.com/explore/what-...-the-word-posh

The story goes that the more well-to-do passengers on ships travelling between England and India used to have POSH written against their bookings, standing for 'Port Out, Starboard Home' (indicating the more desirable cabins, on the shady side of the ship). Unfortunately, this story did not make its appearance until the 1930s, by which time the term had already been in use for some twenty years. Added to this, the word does not appear to have been recorded in the form 'P.O.S.H.', which would be expected if it had started life as an abbreviation.

Despite exhaustive enquiries, including interviews with former travellers and inspection of shipping company documents, researchers for the 20-volume historical Oxford English Dictionary have found no supporting evidence for this explanation of the origins of posh.

Old 10-03-21, 12:18 PM   #3608
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you Jim and Aktungbby

Markus

Old 10-03-21, 12:24 PM   #3609
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Profound experience from one who practiced good seamanship in the pool of a not-so-P.O.S.H. Banks-Line freighter off the sweltering 112+F. Malabar coast!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 10-03-21, 12:33 PM   #3610
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Good Seamanship is A & O at sea, it saves life

Markus

Old 10-08-21, 02:03 AM   #3611
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Using technology to create art from photographs I took eleven years ago.

Old 10-08-21, 03:53 PM   #3612
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Did another long - and probably last of the year - bicycle tour today, starting in foggy greyish weather and temps of 7°C, towards the region around Osnabrück, to the Rubbenbruchsee, and city centre following on. What set today's tour apart was that the bettering weather added so much beauty to it, golden light, warmth, colours. I turned into another perfect day. At the Rubbenbruchsee I sat in a Cafe, ate lunch with well prepared Wiener Schnitzel and Pommes Frites, nothing overdone, but what there was, was well done, solid, and a nice salad, I am not a salad man, so when I mention a salad positively, it really means something. Then a cheese cake that pleasently surprised me with having much less sweetness than cake usually has, I like that, if the sweetness is not overdone like so many usually do. I am not even about health, its just the taste of beeing way too sweet. Sat in the open under a sunscreen, and enjoyed the growing warmth. After that, completing the round around the lake, and into the city's old town.

I have it all on film, this time not in 5x but 2x stabilised acceleration. I make the trip there another movie, uncut, but only one way (going there). The material is very nice, smooth, calm, and as I said, nice colours and light and this interesting change from grey and dark to golden colours and nice October day and 17°C from midday on. Its so lovely a region. 10 hours due to the long stays and wandering around in the old town, 130 km. The film should be around 1-1.5 hours.

Another perfect day!

Last edited by Skybird; 10-08-21 at 04:02 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-21, 05:12 PM   #3613
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default Cairo, 1926

I finally got myself a fez (Turkish variety)
Old 10-21-21, 04:17 PM   #3614
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Rain, currently a steady light mist to constant drizzle, is hitting the state now; and is much needed in the yearlong drought. What is coming on Saturday is an atmospheric river of level 4-5; capable of more moisture vapor than the Mississippi has water. Capable of dumping 3' of snow in the Sierras, it will be a welcome relief to the nasty fires still burning but could also cause serious erosion of bare/scorched areas. Never pure joy with Mother Nature! Fingers crossed in trepidation as the Bay Area and Northern California are directly in the path.

Old 10-21-21, 10:26 PM   #3615
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

I bought a telescope a while back. Not a big expensive one, but it does magnify up to 120x. Unfortunately, it had a defect. If I tried to look at a planet, it looked like a comet - with a large, hazy tail about six times the diameter of the body, extending to the lower left. This made it completely useless for looking at anything other than the Moon or terrestrial objects.

Well, tonight I decided to try and fix it - even though I know very little about how telescopes are assembled. I took off the piece on the front which I can only describe as a sort of shade for the objective lens. That revealed a threaded ring which held the objective lens in place. After a brief inspection, I noticed that it was cross-threaded.

I carefully unscrewed it and re-seated it correctly. I thought to myself "If this was the only thing wrong, I'll be happy ... but mad at the same time." You see, I've gone months without using it because of this defect, and if that's all I had to do to fix it, then I've missed a lot of good observing for no good reason.

Anyway, it turns out that the cross-threaded ring was the only problem. I aligned the telescope with Jupiter, adjusted the focus and was thrilled to see Io, Ganymede and Callisto and I could even just barely make out one of the bands of gasses which make up old Jove's atmosphere! I turned the scope to Saturn and I could clearly see the rings! And the Moon looked absolutely amazing! I was elated!

I have an adapter which allows me to clamp my phone to the eyepiece so that I can take pictures and record video. However, my new phone doesn't quite fit. I'll have to find a way to make it work or use my old phone to take pics/video. Either way, if I get some good images or video I will post them here if anyone is interested. Attached below is an image of the Moon I shot before I fixed the defect. Hopefully future images will be even better.

Side note:
While I was outside, my neighbor's wife came over and asked if she could look through my telescope. I said "Sure." After looking at Jupiter and Saturn, she hesitantly asked me if I thought the Earth could be flat. I laughed and said "No, of course not."

She did not laugh. Hilarity ensued.