SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-08, 01:23 PM   #676
Orion2012
Commodore

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenjen
First off thanks for the mod; this is my first look at the TM series...I was running the 1.4 with the gauges,buttons,ID manual & scope identical to the TM ones as stand alones & when I added 1.5 they all fubared & went to that cartoon looking colorful brass & green & yellow crap. I wouldn't play SH4 if I had to look at that the whole time & I tried TM & discovered my beloved sub interior mods already incorporated - so again THANK YOU, Thank You, thank you!

My question is this; (yes I read the FAQ here & in the game folder), will the "fewer air contacts" mod work with TM or is there a way to tweak the number of contacts downward a bit to a more realistic level? My first mission I was running into search planes & Betty's criss crossing the Pacific from literally outside Midway harbor all the way to Japan like I had a Japanese airstrip following me.

Take into consideration that I copied the SH4 folder with my saved games into a fresh install of vanilla SH4 / 1.5 add-on / JSGME / TMO for 1.5 / TMO u-boat patch & it was installed in that order....I don't know if that will negatively affect the mod or not; I'm no modder or programmer I just muddle through by reading directions & I thought I'd mention it as it's the only unique program oddity.

EDIT: I think some of the problems were due to me having the U-Boat patch installed & playing the Pacific side, I un-installed the patch & a few glitches cleared up. My CO2 will now vent @ the surface & there are 1 - 3 less air contacts per 1/2 hour lol. I didn't realize the patch had to be enabled to play U-Boat add on & then DIS-abled to go back to the Pacific side...eh; first day.
If TMO is the only campaign relatyed mod you run, the it's foreseable that it would still work, just enable it with JSGME, if it dosen't work, roll it back off.

If I might make a suggestion, RSRDC fixes the over abundance of air contacts, as well as reworks the major battles,and uses historical JANAC shipping lanes, but the best part is, it does have a version just for TMO so no worries about compatibility.

(Just had my career ended by a damn Zero that came out on nowhere and was diving towards the drop when he was spotted., after my radar man apperently feel asleep. Had to vent!!)

Enjoy TMO and Good Hunting, just avoid the bungo straights...
Orion2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 05:37 PM   #677
Brenjen
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2012
If TMO is the only campaign relatyed mod you run, the it's foreseable that it would still work, just enable it with JSGME, if it dosen't work, roll it back off.

If I might make a suggestion, RSRDC fixes the over abundance of air contacts, as well as reworks the major battles,and uses historical JANAC shipping lanes, but the best part is, it does have a version just for TMO so no worries about compatibility.

(Just had my career ended by a damn Zero that came out on nowhere and was diving towards the drop when he was spotted., after my radar man apperently feel asleep. Had to vent!!)

Well I put in the RSRD mod w/TMO interface & now I'm getting the occaisonal CTD & graphics anomolies but the worst part is - I can't hit anything even from 1000 yards out. I don't manually target; me & math have never gotten along, so I rely on the "easy mode" automatic AOB plot & I just fired six torps at a merchant a little over 1,000 yards broadside with a 3 deg. spread & all missed. I think I'm going back to V1.4; at least I could have fun playing that; this is too much like work & my life is too tedious already.
Brenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 06:13 PM   #678
cgjimeneza
Captain

Downloads: 145

Quote:
Quote:

Well I put in the RSRD mod w/TMO interface & now I'm getting the occaisonal CTD & graphics anomolies but the worst part is - I can't hit anything even from 1000 yards out. I don't manually target; me & math have never gotten along, so I rely on the "easy mode" automatic AOB plot & I just fired six torps at a merchant a little over 1,000 yards broadside with a 3 deg. spread & all missed. I think I'm going back to V1.4; at least I could have fun playing that; this is too much like work & my life is too tedious already.
I suggest you remove the game, delete the sh4 folder in your C:my documents and start anew, the game deservers the mods done for v1.5, dont give up yet

"Left on their own, engineers can be dangerous"
cgjimeneza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 07:02 PM   #679
Orion2012
Commodore

Quote:
Quote:

I honestly haven't had any problems. Try from a fresh install patched to 1.5 and defenatly delete your save games, you'll have to start from fresh...here is my mods list, if you use JSGME and enable them in this order I would all but guarantee it too work flawlessly.

REL_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_152
TMO_SBoat_engine_Patch
RSRDC_TMOv15_V371
RSRDC_V371_Patch10
RSRDC_AuxGB_Fix
TMO_FloatPlane_fix
OpsMonsun_V400
#1 PE3 Install
#2d PE3 Special Effects For TMO
#3b PE3 submarine bubbles and caustics and roll pitch for TM
#4 PE3 Ship_debris_SH4_with bodies
#5 PE3 real reflections for harbour and objects
#6 PE3 patch for TM
PE3 Install less floater
ROW PE3 Install sun flair for camera
ROW Sound Effect v_9
Bow-Wave-Splash
Animated Fans TMO (v1.0)
(1) RUIM v1.0 for SH4v1.5
(2) RUIM v1.0 for SH4v1.5 Enlisted Ranks add-on
(3) RUIM v1.0 for SH4v1.5 Awards add-on

Sure you don't have all of those, so just move to the next one you do have.

Edit: If you wanna play with the U-boat campaign the patch would go after OpsMonsonV400 (Great mod for the uboat campaign, in the same vein as RSRDC)

Last edited by Orion2012; 08-21-08 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-21-08, 07:40 PM   #680
Brenjen
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 44

Mine is a clean install to V1.5 with JSGME enabled: REL_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_152 / TMO_SBoat_engine_Patch / RSRDC_TMOv15_V371 / RSRDC_V371_Patch10 / RSRDC_AuxGB_Fix / TMO_FloatPlane_fix

I have now JSGME un-installed all that (which is what is giving me the above described problems) & I'm now going to try the RFB w/ RSRD & ROW PE

I like the RSRD arrangement & the fact that it really cut down on the ubsurd air traffic; that's why I'm going to give it a shot in the RFB configuration. I'd really like TMO for V1.5 if it didn't pork the easy torpedo targeting...I simply do not know how to manually target & I don't have the patience/time to learn it right now.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjimeneza
I suggest you remove the game, delete the sh4 folder in your C:my documents and start anew, the game deservers the mods done for v1.5, dont give up yet
Oh sorry I missed your response earlier, not snubbing you at all. The answer to that is, the original SH4 V1.5 C:My Documents SH4 folder was just moved to the desktop & a copy of the V1.4 folder put in it's place. When I had problems I did indeed put the original V1.5 folder back - it's a fresh install, patched directly to V1.5 already. TM is a great mod I'm sure, but I moved on to a NSM4 / ROW PE / RFB / RSRD combo that is nearly 100% right outta the gate so I think I'm going to take that ball & run with it.

Last edited by Brenjen; 08-21-08 at 11:25 PM.
Brenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 03:04 AM   #681
Orion2012
Commodore

Quote:
Mine is a clean install to V1.5 with JSGME enabled: REL_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_152 / TMO_SBoat_engine_Patch / RSRDC_TMOv15_V371 / RSRDC_V371_Patch10 / RSRDC_AuxGB_Fix / TMO_FloatPlane_fix

I have now JSGME un-installed all that (which is what is giving me the above described problems) & I'm now going to try the RFB w/ RSRD & ROW PE

I like the RSRD arrangement & the fact that it really cut down on the ubsurd air traffic; that's why I'm going to give it a shot in the RFB configuration. I'd really like TMO for V1.5 if it didn't pork the easy torpedo targeting...I simply do not know how to manually target & I don't have the patience/time to learn it right now.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjimeneza
Oh sorry I missed your response earlier, not snubbing you at all. The answer to that is, the original SH4 V1.5 C:My Documents SH4 folder was just moved to the desktop & a copy of the V1.4 folder put in it's place. When I had problems I did indeed put the original V1.5 folder back - it's a fresh install, patched directly to V1.5 already. TM is a great mod I'm sure, but I moved on to a NSM4 / ROW PE / RFB / RSRD combo that is nearly 100% right outta the gate so I think I'm going to take that ball & run with it.
You won't be disappointed with RFB, as I frequently have a career active in both. The map has been changed up quite a bit, but all of that can be tweaked to your liking, or at least I did.

It sounds like you had TMO installed correctly, although why it messed up the auto targetting baffles me. I too find manual targetting too much like high school geometry class and use the good ol point and shoot method, and have had no problems with TMO.

Either way you go, you'll have a good time.

Good Hunting.
Old 08-22-08, 04:56 PM   #682
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74
Default Missing TGA files

I got into an 'interesting' situation last night with a couple of 'new' Marus. This is my first patrol on the USS Stingray (USS-186) (Salmon Class).

The first was the KMSS Ryunn. I only had a sound contact throughout the fight, due to being in a three-week-long MONSOON. LOTS of rain - visibility about 300 yards. My lookouts never were able to spot it, but I could get a visual (shadow) through the TBT on the bridge (did I mention that this was a SURFACE/NIGHT attack?). I tried a four torpedo snap shot spread at bearing 0, range 5-600 yards, AOB 80-90, and 15 second intervals, and missed with all four (one went off premeturely). Not wanting to waste anymore torpedoes on him since I couldn't get a good lock (solution), I finished him off with the deck gun, personally aiming it since the gunners couldn't see him through the fog. 4400 tons, and quite exciting. I had to get real close to fire off a couple of rounds, then All Back Emergency to keep from running into it. The Gun Crew deserves medals for this one. I just had to share this one with you.

The second attack brings up my question. This was a 'normal' submerged attack, just before dawn in the East China Sea, north of Okinawa. Got a good solution on the KMSS HogIslandJPN, fired three torpedoes at around 1200 yards, and scored three hits. When I consulted the attack (plot) map, all I could see of the target was: "TGA shape not found" at the point the target should have shown up.

After I exited the game, I checked through the . . \data\sea folders. Neither the Ryuun or the HogIslandJPN ships had a _shp.dds file in their folders. I haven't seen either of these ships before, so I suppose they are some of the new ships that Ducimus added in with the Overhauled TM Mod.

According to the TM FAQ, I do the following (since I like these parts of the game):

4.) How do i get back "tails" and sensor information on the navigation map?

Disable TMO, and delete the following two files:
\Data\Menu\gui\ContLine.dds
\Data\Menu\gui\DashLine.dds

5.) How do i get back the ship sillouttes on the contact map?

Go to the /data/sea directory in TMO. There you will find about 98 subdirectories, one for each ship in the game. Located in each one of these subdirectories is a DDS file. This file will be named whatever the ships name is _shp.dds (*_ship.dds). Delete each of these files from all subdiretories. Warning, not all ships are from the stock game, so deleting these particuar ships means they wont show up on the map at all. I recommend you play with the ship sillouttes as is. The idea is to cut down the amount of unrealistic information the stock Navagation map gives you, and to simulate markings that a tracking party member might have put down with a grease pencil.

All ship sillouttes (original) show up on the attack map when I adjust the mod as advised. Most of the new ships, added by TMO don't. The question is: Can I just copy/paste a _shp.dds from an appropriate ship into the folder of the new ship, and change the filename to get it to show up? Can I do this without disabling the Mods now enabled (including RSRDC)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-08, 05:32 PM   #683
neilbyrne
Torpedoman

Downloads: 31

Dodger,
Yes you can replace with another shp.dds just by copy and paste and nothing bad will happen; I do it all the time. In fact, I don't like the black marks and put all the ship silhouettes back into TMO. I wrote a long post on this several months ago about what the plotting symbols should really look like. Nothing against Ducimus; TMO is a fabulous mod and I have been playing it with RSRDC for the last two months.
After you have the ship dds files to your liking, I recommend you save the sea part of the database to a spares folder outside SH4 so if you ever have to reinstall, you don't have to do it all again.
neilbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 06:33 PM   #684
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Default Fixing missing silhouettes

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbyrne
Dodger,
Yes you can replace with another shp.dds just by copy and paste and nothing bad will happen; I do it all the time. In fact, I don't like the black marks and put all the ship silhouettes back into TMO. I wrote a long post on this several months ago about what the plotting symbols should really look like. Nothing against Ducimus; TMO is a fabulous mod and I have been playing it with RSRDC for the last two months.
After you have the ship dds files to your liking, I recommend you save the sea part of the database to a spares folder outside SH4 so if you ever have to reinstall, you don't have to do it all again.
Thanx Neilbyrne.
For the rest of you that want the missing silhouettes, I found the following to have no _shp.dds file in its folder (after doing Item 5 above):

NBC_Repulse
NDD_ZClass
NDE_Kisaragi
NDE_Momi
NKMSS_HogIslandJPN
NKMSS_Ryuun
NPB_Wakatake
NPT_Schnelboat

Most of these ships have a similiar class of ship in the next or previous folder. Just copy the _shp.dds file from there, and paste it into the folder you want to add, change the name, and voila'.
Old 08-24-08, 12:07 AM   #685
chopped50ford
Weps

Downloads: 22

Okay, im a little bent right now, just spent the last few hours unloading my mods to update this with the latest TM and im bouncing errors right on the title screen.

Any suggestion anyone:

Some error messages im getting:

- File not found: data/menu/data/black80.tga
- File not found: data/menu/skin/american/gui/intelligenceunits/paper.dds
- File not found: data/menu/skin/american/gui/layout/radio.messages.dds
- There is not a new (non implemented) page: <page chooseloadsave>!

By the way, I cant shut the game off, I have to re-boot.

Also, I cleared all my mods in JSME and reloaded 1.4...still same problem. (issue was wrong TM loaded, installed correct version, fixed errors on load up)

Update, I had the wrong download to TM. Game loaded, but now I cant get the free camera to come up. Any ideas?

Update (2): Started mission and while on the way to my first waypoint, I CTD'd. No error came up. Any Ideas?

Update (3): Tried to use the "E" key to Emergency Blow to surface, key is not operating this function. Any Ideas?

http://ths-i.com/

Last edited by chopped50ford; 08-24-08 at 02:19 AM.
chopped50ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 10:07 AM   #686
Claudius
Mate

Downloads: 35

Am I playing a campaign in the Base of Submarines in England, did I attack a small German convoy close to the noruega, are the German Hunters very inefficient, will it be that in the war that was real???
For the logic the allies had to turn and to develop an efficient tactics ant-submarine.
Now if somebody can help would like to know there were really American submarines acting in the theater of the Atlantic in war patrols based in England, it would like to cure that doubts.
Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 01:23 PM   #687
Orion2012
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius
Am I playing a campaign in the Base of Submarines in England, did I attack a small German convoy close to the noruega, are the German Hunters very inefficient, will it be that in the war that was real???
For the logic the allies had to turn and to develop an efficient tactics ant-submarine.
Now if somebody can help would like to know there were really American submarines acting in the theater of the Atlantic in war patrols based in England, it would like to cure that doubts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Loch

Holy Loch was a US navy base, although I don't believe during WW2.

I'm not sure abut German ASW tactics, perhaps someone else can field that one??
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopped50ford

Update, I had the wrong download to TM. Game loaded, but now I cant get the free camera to come up. Any ideas?

Update (2): Started mission and while on the way to my first waypoint, I CTD'd. No error came up. Any Ideas?

Update (3): Tried to use the "E" key to Emergency Blow to surface, key is not operating this function. Any Ideas?
1. Are you trying to use the </> key to open the free cam or the button on the HUD?? the </> buttons have been disabled but can be enabled by folling instructions in the FAQ.

2. What mods do you have installed?? You can generate a list with JSGME.

3. Open the data/cfg folder and open the commands file with notepad and look for this:
[Cmd202]
Name=Emergency_surface
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F230003
Str=1034
;Key0=0x45,C,"E"

If there is a semi-colon before the final line, remove it and all should work fine, if that intry can't be found, you can copy and replace the command that is listed for Emergency Surface, with this one, although I'm not sure if it has to be CMD202 or not.

Edit: I believe the "E" key was re-assigned to switch to the rear tubes, so you may need to find and edit that line as well, I'm not sure how the game responds with mulitple functions for a single key stroke, may CTD. If you have problems, post back here.

Good Hunting
Old 08-24-08, 01:33 PM   #688
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Ducimus changed alot of the keyboard map some time ago. One of the keys he changed was the 'E' key. Pressing on the 'E' key now cycles the after torpedo tubes. Makes sense since the 'W' key (right next to the 'E') cycles the forward torpedo tubes. Since the keys are right together, this could avoid some confusion when you're setting up for a shot. Not a good idea to 'Emergency Blow' when you're right in the middle of a task force.

If you need to Emergency Blow, you'll have to go to the Control Room screen and use the 'Button'. There is no longer a key that operates this feature.
Old 08-24-08, 05:23 PM   #689
chopped50ford
Weps

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Quote:

1. Are you trying to use the </> key to open the free cam or the button on the HUD?? the </> buttons have been disabled but can be enabled by folling instructions in the FAQ.

3. Open the data/cfg folder and open the commands file with notepad and look for this:
[Cmd202]
Name=Emergency_surface
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F230003
Str=1034
;Key0=0x45,C,"E"

If there is a semi-colon before the final line, remove it and all should work fine, if that intry can't be found, you can copy and replace the command that is listed for Emergency Surface, with this one, although I'm not sure if it has to be CMD202 or not.

Edit: I believe the "E" key was re-assigned to switch to the rear tubes, so you may need to find and edit that line as well, I'm not sure how the game responds with mulitple functions for a single key stroke, may CTD. If you have problems, post back here.

Good Hunting
Thank for the EB help, but Ill keep where it is for now for tube cycling.

Here are my JSME setup, I add a few ROW programs to spice it up.

I still dont have the "Free Camera" has that been taken out of TM?

Any other ideas on CTD issue?

http://ths-i.com/
chopped50ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 05:40 PM   #690
Orion2012
Commodore

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[Cmd202]
Name=Emergency_surface
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F230003
Str=1034
;Key0=0x45,C,"E"

Good Hunting
Thank for the EB help, but Ill keep where it is for now for tube cycling.

Here are my JSME setup, I add a few ROW programs to spice it up.

I still dont have the "Free Camera" has that been taken out of TM?

Any other ideas on CTD issue?
Try this for me: Open the ROW PE3.3, and see if there isnt more folders inside. If you have already done that then I appologize, but what I believe it should say something like #1 PE Install, #2 Special Effect Zones for TM, and so on.

If that is the case and you do have those folders inside ROWPE3.3, pick the ones you need for your install and then move those folders into the mods folder instead of keeping them in the ROW PE3.3 file. I'd also say thats the cause for the random CTD.