SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-08-23, 11:58 AM   #3946
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Up early to clear away garage space for final inspection of new solar system by the city of Napa permits people; after which, with a flip of the switch, I should be "in the grid," officially selling electricity to PG& E. My new G5 Google phone I'm struggling to master has an app to enable me to monitor the solar array, battery storage, and ongoing usage in real time..."what a fascinating modern age I live in!" It will be interesting to see the alleged electrical cost-savings/tax rebate savings.... against the PG&E's recent massive natural-gas hike from approx. $250 to $550 a month! They're using me to offset their horrendous fire-damages of the last half decade!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-23, 03:06 PM   #3947
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Beautiful day in Florida. Smoking chicken on a 18 inch Weber Smokey Mountain using about 9 pounds of Kingsford Charcoal and four chunks of Hickory wood @ around 250 F. Got just three degrees to go before it comes off, wrap and rest. Taters spend the cook underneath catching the drippings. The rub is a 50/50 mix of of Tajin Clasico Chili Lime and McCormick Lemon Pepper. Can’t wait.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-13-23 at 03:28 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-23, 03:08 PM   #3948
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Send some over the pond shipmate

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-23, 03:27 PM   #3949
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Drool Drool

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-23, 03:42 PM   #3950
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Tender and juicy baby! skin isn’t as crispy I like, in fact somewhat rubbery in places. But I think some direct heat time over the coals might have helped with that. The other reason for the skin is I had the water bowl filled which creates a bit of steam inside the cooker. Might leave it empty next time.

Was about a 2.5-3.0 hours cook time with an internal meat temperature of 165 F.

Anyway, as they say in the sophisticated society of the Deep South ‘bonner appetitey y’all’ .

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-13-23 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-14-23, 12:10 PM   #3951
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Another beautiful day surf fishing in sunny Florida. So far todays catch were two undersized Bluefish. But I can’t complain, I am at the beach.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-14-23 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-14-23, 03:30 PM   #3952
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

^ Wow - and I'm sitting hunched over a log fire here
Old 02-15-23, 04:48 AM   #3953
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Tender and juicy baby! skin isn’t as crispy I like, in fact somewhat rubbery in places. But I think some direct heat time over the coals might have helped with that. The other reason for the skin is I had the water bowl filled which creates a bit of steam inside the cooker. Might leave it empty next time.

Was about a 2.5-3.0 hours cook time with an internal meat temperature of 165 F.

Anyway, as they say in the sophisticated society of the Deep South ‘bonner appetitey y’all’ .
This will sound crazy until you try it.

The next time you want to BBQ some pork chops (thin or thick cut) or a small tenderloin, grab a bottle of cheap Italian salad dressing.
The cheaper, the better. Just make sure it has some kind of olive oil and small chunks of garlic and bell pepper floating in it. Store-brand is fine, generic is even better.

Marinade the pork in the salad dressing for at least a couple of hours. Just dump the meat in a pan a sploosh a bunch of the dressing over it.

When grilling, hotter coals work better (especially towards the end of the grilling). You want the outside of the pork to turn a light to medium brown. This will add a very slight sugary crust.

Why it works- Cheap Italian dressing has all of the things in it to really kick up pork. More than likely, they added some kind of Sucrose or cane sugar, which adds that neat crust. The olive oil also helps with the crusty part but also keeps the meat tender. Those chunks of garlic and pepper add a nice balance of flavors and while most of the vinegar cooks off, it also helps the marinade to penetrate into the pork.

ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-23, 06:27 AM   #3954
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

For what it's worth I thought I'd share this - I was casting around again for something to use as a mouse mat when my eye fell upon some cork mats Moira got (very cheaply) from somewhere like B&M Stores. Regular mouse mats bobble, fray, tear and slide about but these cork mats don't and, it seems to me, ought to last forever

Maybe they already make cork mouse mats - I don't know - but I'll bet they cost a heck of a lot more than one of these and I've been using it happily for weeks now
Old 02-15-23, 09:11 AM   #3955
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Get a track ball and you won't need a mouse pad.
Old 02-15-23, 09:30 AM   #3956
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

^ I've never tried one but I wonder how they'd be for FPS gaming (supposed not to be as precise, so maybe not so good for sniping?)
Old 02-15-23, 01:30 PM   #3957
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

I take it you can get used to anything, but i also prefer a mouse to a tracking ball. Had the latter at work

Good idea with the cork mat

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-23, 01:32 PM   #3958
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post

For what it's worth I thought I'd share this - I was casting around again for something to use as a mouse mat when my eye fell upon some cork mats Moira got (very cheaply) from somewhere like B&M Stores. Regular mouse mats bobble, fray, tear and slide about but these cork mats don't and, it seems to me, ought to last forever

Maybe they already make cork mouse mats - I don't know - but I'll bet they cost a heck of a lot more than one of these and I've been using it happily for weeks now
If you were interested in designing your own, you might find some cork gasket material or shelf liner at a hardware or automotive parts store.

Old 02-16-23, 12:14 AM   #3959
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
^ I've never tried one but I wonder how they'd be for FPS gaming (supposed not to be as precise, so maybe not so good for sniping?)
I've been using this basic model for more than 15 years:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...10-005869.html

It just works and they tend to last for at least five years of continuous use.

It takes a little getting used to, but its really very natural. The only downsides are that it will need a new battery about once a year and the suspension points for the ball will need cleaning about once a month (just pop the ball out and clean the three "bearing" spots with a cotton bud or a toothpick). I plug the wireless Dongle into my mouse port and just forget it.

You can "tune" the ball response using Logitech's app with no issues (like tuning it for sniping). The app is also handy for checking battery life. Priced at around $35 (US), its painless to replace. Just swap out the old track ball and dongle and get back to work. Non repairable wear points are the A and B keys (they tend to mush out over time) and the scroll wheel (it gets gungy after a while and you'd have to tear apart the entire unit to clean it).

The big pay-off, NO mouse pad and no wire flopping around on your desk.
I'm set up on fairly large desk (5 ft. X 2.5 ft.) but it also shines on a much smaller table top.
Old 02-16-23, 01:11 AM   #3960
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

That cork looks sorta like you keep your mouse on a really old slice of bologna.

Meanwhile, I just finished a two day motorcycle or scooter rider course so I can get the endorsement on my drivers license. Might want to ride a scooter overseas someplace without having to pay a bribe if pulled over. O

Oh, and that chicken is really making me want to get a box of shake and bake bbq to cook up some thighs. Maybe tomorrow!