Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 12-30-08, 03:44 AM   #1
Silverleaf
Wild Night in Bangkok

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Online question..

Greetings,

I've had IL2 Sturmovik: 1946 DVD installed and patched to 4.08M (no mods at this point) for the last year or so.

Have loved the game since its inception but have never played online. I've been tempted to test online play capabilities, but I'm unable to find any sort of server within IL2 itself. I did find something called HyperHobby, but it won't recognize my Iil2fb.exe for the IL2 full version lobby.

Heck, I just decided to check and see who was on and I've found 1 person.

So, my questions are twofold:

1) How does one go about connecting to a server - is it through the games main menu, or some external program?

2) Is it worth even looking into Online at this late development cycle of IL2 ?

I understand the hesitancy to post links to other sites - so if you need to send any info to me privately, I'll be more than happy to receive a PM.

Cheers and good hunting,

R.S.
Old 12-30-08, 04:08 AM   #2
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Hi Silverleaf,

Posting links to IL2 MODS websites is forbidden, apart from that any other link is just fine

I personally never used HyperLobby, when I looked around for online games for IL2 and most of my other games, I used ASE (All Seeying Eye) back then.
I dont know if the program is still supported or able to be used now (havent used it a long while now)

I don't know if looking for IL2 online games is too late, I guess not. when I play online I host myself and have the fellow airmen around here join to have some fun.
when I played online onto a different server I joined this one as its quiet busy and most people on them are sporty:
http://www.battle-fields.com/
http://www.battle-fields.com/commsce...ad.php?t=13161 (their servers)
note: you might want to check their forum first, some IL2 servers do run IL2 mods nowadays and its hard to get around them so its better to make yourself compatible with it and join the fun.

HunterICX

Last edited by HunterICX; 12-30-08 at 04:16 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 04:49 AM   #3
Silverleaf
Wild Night in Bangkok

Hunter,

Many thanks for the reply. I'm reading up on their rules and see that UK server 2 looks pretty good. Between watching Sink the Tirpitz and reading rules it's been a quiet early morning. 8)

Do you guys still get together to fly?

I ask only because I'd prefer (if possible) to stick to SubSim membership sorties - only because I feel a kinship with some of you guys.

Cheers and thanks again,
Old 12-30-08, 07:08 AM   #4
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverleaf
Do you guys still get together to fly?
Currently we are on a Christmas break so to speak, I attemp to start hosting again about a week after New year.

What we fly are online Campaigns, mostly we all jump in 1 team and fly against AI. Check the info on the first page about when we fly and what we are using here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=144485

when we fly is around 22.00 GMT+1, so what timezone do you live in Silverleaf?

HunterICX

Last edited by HunterICX; 12-30-08 at 07:08 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 09:12 AM   #5
Silverleaf
Wild Night in Bangkok

Hunter,

Ah, home for the holidays - totally get that. 8)

I'm in Eastern Time Zone GMT -5

I've just discovered I may need another controller - my gamepad which works fantastic, excellent control etc. is messing up. Around Jan 10 I'll be getting my refund from college so some upgrades for the cpu and a really nice Joystick is in order.

By the way, I checked out Battle-Fields - played for an hour or so total on their UK 2 server - funny thing was - as much as they harp about giving pilots a chance to get airborn - I literally got blown up before I could even hit "i". :rotfl:

Didn't bother me since I was checking out the cockpit anyway.

Cheers,
Old 12-30-08, 09:33 AM   #6
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Hello Silverleaf

You really should see to getting rid of the gamepad and getting a joystick. Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is a cheap and pretty good one, add some extra $ to that and you could get the Saitek EVO Cyborg, which I think most of us have atm. Very good average price stick with lots of buttons and forcefeedback.

The flightime would be 4pm for you then, we usually fly 3 sorties, so even if you come an hour late, you prolly can catch us preparing for the 2nd sortie, depends how much time we spent on waiting ppl to join in.

EDIT: Neevermind the joystick part, I cant read.

Last edited by Dowly; 12-30-08 at 09:33 AM.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 10:17 AM   #7
Silverleaf
Wild Night in Bangkok

Hi Dowly,

Been following some of the threads you, Hunter and others have been posting here - screen shots and the like - cool videos by the way.

I should probably say that I too have problems landing - take offs no sweat. Funny though, the only plane I have any success (2-10 at best) landing in is a P-38 - my absolute favorite wartime ride. 8)

I've been looking at the Saitek EVO Cyborg, if I can find it locally it'll be a bonus. My main reason for spending the extra cash is I truly understand what a quality stick can do in comparison to something cheap.

Anyways, I'll be around - splitting time between SH3 and IL2 - now if I can only convince Ubisoft to make a WWII Surface Simulator with optional ships to captain like Carriers/Destroyers and the like - I'd be a very happy camper.

Cheers,
Old 12-30-08, 10:54 AM   #8
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

In Hyperlobby you need to select Forgotten Battles, not IL-2 in the game menu
Old 01-01-09, 08:50 AM   #9
Silverleaf
Wild Night in Bangkok

I was able to play online through HyperLobby, good experience and once I have a new flight stick and "maybe" a new set of 3D headphones..:hmm:

Cheers guys,