SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-20, 09:24 PM   #1051
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Well, there were some missing dials, and then the whole damn thing crashed on me.

I'm guessing it wasn't the commands.cfg file, though. I'm just going to need to make a clean install and try again later.
Well, WinMerge says it's a mess between the two, with 53 differences, some big, some small...

It might be easier to decide what you want to bring from TMO over into FotRSU, and even at that, it would be tough, depending upon what you are after from TMO that you like...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-20, 09:33 PM   #1052
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It might be easier to decide what you want to bring from TMO over into FotRSU, and even at that, it would be tough, depending upon what you are after from TMO that you like...
Mostly, I just want the entire keyboard layout to be the same as TMO, since it's reflex to hit the keys I need.

Edit: But there is a three day weekend coming up...
Old 05-20-20, 01:49 AM   #1053
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Uploads: 0
Default Been away from SH$ for about two years now playig FOTRS for the first time

I'm new to this mod so please forgive any dumb questions... (I did do a search on this but no joy)

I previously mentioned the CO2 not resetting when I surface due to using the ALT TAB but now I'm seeing the opposite. I can run submerged all day and CO2 Carbon Dioxide stays at zero.

While I don't really mind it (it certainly makes it easy to stay submerged all day) is this a new phenomena or has this been a perennial SH4 bug as well? It is kinda odd seeing the deck watch standing their posts under water.

I know a save restart & reload will solve this as well.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig

Last edited by Havan_IronOak; 05-21-20 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling typo
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-20, 05:48 AM   #1054
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
I'm new to this mod so please forgive any dumb questions... (I did do a search on this but no joy)

I previously mentioned the CO2 not resetting when I surface due to using the ALT TAB but now I'm seeing the opposite. I can run submerged all day and CO2 Carbon Dioxide stays at zero.

While I don't really mind it (it certainly makes it easy to stay submerged all day) is this a new phenomena or has this been a perennial SH4 bug as well? It is kinda odd seeing the deck watch standing their posts under water.

Well that's a head scratcher. I've played this game for over 10 years and have never seen a failure to accumulate CO2. Good luck with that one!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-20, 07:51 AM   #1055
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Report: Possible oddity with the crew
I started a patrol in Manilla with a S-Class boat, the patrol only lasted 4 days, after sinking ships, 3 torpedos left and my hull down to 46 I decided to return to port well knowing that soon Manilla will be captured, so I hoped to return before which I did.
In the office I notice that all my crew names are different now, according to their abilities it's not just the names, the crew has changed indeed, and it's still the same submarine, I wasn't assigned a different one. Is this normal? Then, I notice that I can assign 2 promotions, but if it's not the same crew then this doesn't make much sense, I could of course promote some guys at random, btw do promotions have any effect on crew ability or such?

Also a gameplay question which FOTRSU may handle differently compared to stock game: About 5 hours before reaching port I sent a status report and was assigned a new patrol area, but returning to port will cause this mission to stay 'incomplete'. Can I expect penalties because of this? In that case I shouldn't have sent a radio report at that moment.

Thanks,
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-20-20 at 08:01 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-20, 10:00 AM   #1056
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Also a gameplay question which FOTRSU may handle differently compared to stock game: About 5 hours before reaching port I sent a status report and was assigned a new patrol area, but returning to port will cause this mission to stay 'incomplete'. Can I expect penalties because of this? In that case I shouldn't have sent a radio report at that moment.

Thanks,
XS
probably.
however, if you have sufficient tonnage, the uncompleted objective will not hold you up.
best bet is to stay off the radio.
if you feel the need to send in your results, save the game first, then radio-in. if you are assigned another patrol area, you can re-load.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-20, 10:03 AM   #1057
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I started a patrol in Manilla with a S-Class boat, the patrol only lasted 4 days, after sinking ships, 3 torpedos left and my hull down to 46 I decided to return to port well knowing that soon Manilla will be captured, so I hoped to return before which I did.
In the office I notice that all my crew names are different now, according to their abilities it's not just the names, the crew has changed indeed, and it's still the same submarine, I wasn't assigned a different one. Is this normal? Then, I notice that I can assign 2 promotions, but if it's not the same crew then this doesn't make much sense, I could of course promote some guys at random, btw do promotions have any effect on crew ability or such?
XS
what you have experienced is new behavior by SH4, regardless of mod-set.
if you are adept at using Winmerge, i suggest that you compare ActiveUserPlayerUnit files. take the last save from your mission and compare it to the one you have in port.

LAA enabled
Old 05-20-20, 10:37 AM   #1058
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Well that's a head scratcher. I've played this game for over 10 years and have never seen a failure to accumulate CO2. Good luck with that one!

Here's a screenshot. Perhaps keeping the Heavy breathers outside the sub while submerged is the key ;-)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2103091042

Another question about this mod... Radar Depth/Decks Awash - I understood that Decks awash allowed you to fire up the diesels and recharge batteries and move faster. When I use R to signal this I see that the game still considers me submerged as to refreshing CO2 and running Diesels. Am I just misunderstanding something?
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig

Last edited by Havan_IronOak; 05-20-20 at 11:48 AM.
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-20, 12:14 PM   #1059
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Here's a screenshot. Perhaps keeping the Heavy breathers outside the sub while submerged is the key ;-)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2103091042

Another question about this mod... Radar Depth/Decks Awash - I understood that Decks awash allowed you to fire up the diesels and recharge batteries and move faster. When I use R to signal this I see that the game still considers me submerged as to refreshing CO2 and running Diesels. Am I just misunderstanding something?

With eyeball on the progress bar, you won't always see the CO2 level because very small usually, so you must hower over it (but you know that I'm sure, I just say it for completness.)
If you mean with 'Heavy breathers' that the wakes will emerge the conning tower for a short time, then you may be right: With the conning tower surfaced the crew could - at least in theory - open a hatch which will give oxygen for several hours immediately. Normally the CO2 level rises from 0 to 5 if you stay 8 hours underwater, but actually when it gets to 20+ it becomes dangerous for your crew I think and also visible on the progress bar. it's possible that SH4 doesn't wait more seconds after the sub is on surface before refilling CO2, but will refill at the very second where you conning tower is over water. That's it maybe, just a possibility. CO2 refilling takes place in steps of 70% - 100% IIRC.
My suggestion: go at 150+ feet depth and go to high TC (in a neutral situation withtout enemy units nearby!), your CO2 level should raise slowly.
Then, German U-boots can have Snorkels (but in real life they worked only at approx. radar depth and max. 7 knots), so SH4 may even raise them without you knowing about to refill CO2, but I don't know, I haven't played German boats in SH4.

After reading your post I have watched the CO2 level but in my case (S-Boat class) it has raised to 1 after about 2 hours submerged during an attack.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-20-20 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 12:34 PM   #1060
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
what you have experienced is new behavior by SH4, regardless of mod-set.
if you are adept at using Winmerge, i suggest that you compare ActiveUserPlayerUnit files. take the last save from your mission and compare it to the one you have in port.

[EDIT]
I have totally misunderstood the crew list in the office which are crew men to hire, not the actual crew in my sub. I'm sorry.

------------

With 'new behavior' I guess you mean a bug in all SH4 versions? Well, nothing I or the FOTRSU team can do then. Thanks.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-20-20 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 12:43 PM   #1061
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:

Do not swap out to Windows! It will trash your game. Also, be aware that there are two gameplay settings screens in the game. One is on the Options menu and controls the Single Missions and Quick Patrols. The other is in the Captain's Office when you start a career, and is reached by clicking on the radio console to the left. Each career can have different settings. As for a crew left on the deck, that is from swapping out to Windows. Do not do that!

Quote:

Thanks,
XS
Your boat took how much damage? How many casualties? How many dead? Half of the survivors ran off AWOL after reaching port! This is why you have a lot of new crewman! There will be no investigation, there will be no hearing. This will go directly to the penalty phase, and the keel-hauling will commence immediately thereafter mister!

Do not do Status Report unless you want another objective assignment. An assignment remaining incomplete does not count against you, but since you admitted to it, the paragraph above does still apply...

Quote:
This mod has "R" set for radar depth. Dependent upon the boat, that might 35 foot, or it might be 42, but it is definitely below the surface. "Decks Awash" is not much help in Silent Hunter games, but you can use the keyboard keys to get set to a similar depth between the <A> key (Maintain Depth), <S> key (Surface) and <D> key (Dive). If it was SH5, you could use the manual planes control, but alas, not. Decks awash for each boat is different, just like periscope and radar depth are, so some experimenting is required. CO2 will continue to build in your boat though, in spite of the conn hatch being open. Just another short-coming of the game.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-20, 12:59 PM   #1062
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:

Your boat took how much damage? How many casualties? How many dead? Half of the survivors ran off AWOL after reaching port! This is why you have a lot of new crewman! There will be no investigation, there will be no hearing. This will go directly to the penalty phase, and the keel-hauling will commence immediately thereafter mister!

Do not do Status Report unless you want another objective assignment. An assignment remaining incomplete does not count against you, but since you admitted to it, the paragraph above does still apply...

Thanks Propbeanie, I'm actually a little ashamed to ask such noob questions here about gameplay, thanks very much to spend your time

[EDIT]
The crew issue was a total misunderstanding from my part, the crew members you see on your left in the office are those to HIRE, those in the sub compartments is my actual crew and all is normal. Sorry to have wasted your time, my ignorance about the game is still shining

------------------------------
As far as I can tell, no, I had no casualities or crew damages, but how do you notice that exactly, I remember in SH3 a dead or heavily wounded crewman would turn its icon completly red ? I had 2 damages to my sub steering which the repair team got fixed in several hours after I have placed good mechanic crew in the team. One steering damage to the dive planes remained, other than that the hull number has dropped to 46.
Oh and...I think I have collided with a destroyer during battle, that's what caused the damage, not a depth charge, and...the destroyer has sunken after that I got not credited for it, but i really don't want to complain about :=)

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-20-20 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 03:14 PM   #1063
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
[EDIT]
I have totally misunderstood the crew list in the office which are crew men to hire, not the actual crew in my sub. I'm sorry.
------------
With 'new behavior' I guess you mean a bug in all SH4 versions? Well, nothing I or the FOTRSU team can do then. Thanks.

XS
LOL. well, consider it a training op.

LAA enabled
Old 05-21-20, 01:08 AM   #1064
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 73

New FOTRS patrol log if you want to subscribe and follow along!

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...=1#post2671928

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...=1#post2671928
Admiral Lutjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-20, 05:08 AM   #1065
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Icon10

Quote:

Just what one needs in these days we are travelling through.....Thanks PB.........
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote