SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-01-20, 07:27 PM   #316
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
propbeanie,
My computer is a 10 year old, Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Home, 64-bit, IntelCore 1.3 CPU 380@2.53GHz with 4.0GB, Intel HD graphics. I have installed LAA. The game plays very well on my laptop.

I've never tried the "Museum" until today. It took a long, long time to load but finally came up. The ships sailing on the ocean look really nice but I've got to say, in my humble opinion, it's an option I'd never look at again. The recognition book is all I'd need.

This Museum must take up a lot of memory and computer usage?

Is there away to delete it totally or partially from SH4 and FotRS? Game play is most important, not the Museum. Just one man's opinion. Thanks.

11 year old system

INTEL E2220 2.4GHz
8 Gig RAM
64 bit Windows 7
GeForce GTX 1050 2 GIG ram

Runs the game just fine. I can not recall opening the museum ever.

If I am not starting a new campaign then I'm just hitting Load.

Saw something weird today. I found a Task Force at Eniwetok Sept. '43. Yamato, Nagato, Fuso, CV several CA and DD. At night with a storm I took out the Yamato, Nagato and CV one DD and later a CA. The rough seas made it hard for them to hear me and their slow speed inside the atoll helped me circle them a few times at flank dropping fish into them.

That however was not the weird part.

After leaving and heading south I came across two large groups to the southwest and skies were peppered with USN planes from Strong Island. Over and Over PBY were machine gunning the shipping. I watched for a while and then took off for the first group.

It was also being attacked over and over from planes coming out of Strong island. It was an Ada Maru a huge Ocean Liner then another Ada Maru.

From 9000 yards and only one fish on the boat I fired at the Liner. Several minutes later I hit her stern and she blow up like I had hit her with a MOAB. BOTH ADA MARU blew up from her explosions. I didn't get credit for sinking them ... only credit for the liner. It really surprised me they sank from the liners explosion. I would say they were 500 yards ahead and astern of her.

After several resupplies from Talugi I am heading home with:

Merchants sunk 15
Warships sunk 6

318,000 + tonnes.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Last edited by merc4ulfate; 01-01-20 at 07:58 PM.
merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-20, 10:15 PM   #317
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
propbeanie,
I went through the Japanese and merchant sections of the "Recognition Book" (not the Museum) to make a alphabetical list with draft measurements for myself.

I found what might be a duplication and/or error: the Light Cruiser Katori ASW with a draft of 18.7 feet vs. a Light Warship Katori w/scout planes with a draft of 34.4 feet. I believe the 34.4 foot draft if obviously wrong. Something minor you might wish to look into?

Update on my CTDs: My campaign is now on June 17th, 1944 patrolling area 4 just off the coast of Japan within a couple hundred nautical miles of Tokyo in a Gato sub. I've had no ships of any kind to deal with but numerous aircraft to evade. They either passed out of visual sight or we would dive to allow them to pass.

The very last aircraft (moments ago) was probably 10 to 15NM away, heading straight for me but not yet in visual range; I made a "Save" and then resumed the game to begin a dive. I watched its radar course on the Nav Map to see it make a very odd semi-circular 180-degree turn away from me. Too far away to have launched a torpedo or bomb. No other enemy aircraft had done this, and there have been many, maybe 50 plus encounters in this patrol area so far, but in none of the other encounters did I make a save. I immediately had a CTD as these thoughts crossed my mind. Well, maybe another clue to ponder? Any progress?
In the Support folder is a file "FotRSU - Equipment & Unit list.xlsx" which has a lot of the "assets'" info, but not the draft. In the next release will be a pdf with basically what the cfg files have in them for the ships "dimensions". Now, the game does not use most of those figures except in the RecMan, it uses the sim and other files for the "correct" data. This is one of RR's pet peeves that will stay, in that there was bad information, and there was misinformation, and there was missing information in the RecMans used back then, not forgetting to mention typoes - like 34 instead of 24 probably... There are also more than one Katori model in the mod, don't forget. One has planes, one has lots of depth charges. Lots. They are both slow though.

Like you did, it behooves a skipper to use his common sense when shooting at a ship. Most CL didn't have much as far as torpedo protection goes, so the target most likely would have had a 12-15 foot depth, impact pistol, set of torpedoes shot at it, except of course, in the first year of the war, or under Christie... - If CapnScurvy comes out of retirement and gives all an FotRSU OTC mod, then you will have the perfect RecMan, because it would be necessary for the mod to have such. Now, witness merc4ulfate below, and his haul on the last patrol... - he don't need no shteenking RecMan at ~all~...

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
11 year old system

INTEL E2220 2.4GHz
8 Gig RAM
64 bit Windows 7
GeForce GTX 1050 2 GIG ram

Runs the game just fine. I can not recall opening the museum ever.

If I am not starting a new campaign then I'm just hitting Load.

Saw something weird today. I found a Task Force at Eniwetok Sept. '43. Yamato, Nagato, Fuso, CV several CA and DD. At night with a storm I took out the Yamato, Nagato and CV one DD and later a CA. The rough seas made it hard for them to hear me and their slow speed inside the atoll helped me circle them a few times at flank dropping fish into them.

That however was not the weird part.

After leaving and heading south I came across two large groups to the southwest and skies were peppered with USN planes from Strong Island. Over and Over PBY were machine gunning the shipping. I watched for a while and then took off for the first group.

It was also being attacked over and over from planes coming out of Strong island. It was an Ada Maru a huge Ocean Liner then another Ada Maru.

From 9000 yards and only one fish on the boat I fired at the Liner. Several minutes later I hit her stern and she blow up like I had hit her with a MOAB. BOTH ADA MARU blew up from her explosions. I didn't get credit for sinking them ... only credit for the liner. It really surprised me they sank from the liners explosion. I would say they were 500 yards ahead and astern of her.

After several resupplies from Talugi I am heading home with:

Merchants sunk 15
Warships sunk 6

318,000 + tonnes.
I "destroyed" a five ship convoy one time with one torpedo and a couple of planes - getting credit for just the one, but similar to what you did, I hit a ship carrying ammunition apparently, and they were all running away from an airplane attack, so were basically bunched together, almost running into each other. So when the ammunition ship went up, the nearby small merchant was also annihilated, and actually sank first. The explosions also ignited a nearby tanker (avgas??), which blew sky-high, and severely damaged the nearby fast freighter and the other ship, which were then finished off with more planes, before I could get my boat turned... Gone in like 60 seconds...

It sounds like there are too many PBY at Strong Island, eh?... lol - we might have to twiddle with that in the future. That Yamato movement was one of several "historical" moves in the mod now, so you just ruined history, good sir!

We are back to testing the airplanes tomorrow. s7rikeback has been hard at work going through the entire Roster. We'll put them through the ringer testing, and hopefully get ourselves a new loading graphic and get this next release out, then add to what the planes have - maybe... but most of them will now no longer seemingly ignore your boat, unless they have nothing left to throw at you. They don't really "ignore" you, but "fone home" and let others know that there is a sub in the area, which is why you sometimes do not see traffic. Also, a torpedo plane in v1 will do at least a 360° turn to scrub-off altitude to attack you, from about 6800-9200 yards out, depending upon if and when they see you. It might take them a while to come around again for the actual attack run. Then there is the radar reports you are getting - is it friendly, or is it enemy? If it's friendly, and happens to see one of the myriad Japanese submarines, or ships, on the surface, you might see the plane do some radical turns. They are "intelligent", remember?... which of course, is about as smart as I am... t'ain't very...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-20, 08:31 PM   #318
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
In the Support folder is a file "FotRSU - Equipment & Unit list.xlsx" which has a lot of the "assets'" info, but not the draft. In the next release will be a pdf with basically what the cfg files have in them for the ships "dimensions". Now, the game does not use most of those figures except in the RecMan, it uses the sim and other files for the "correct" data. This is one of RR's pet peeves that will stay, in that there was bad information, and there was misinformation, and there was missing information in the RecMans used back then, not forgetting to mention typoes - like 34 instead of 24 probably... There are also more than one Katori model in the mod, don't forget. One has planes, one has lots of depth charges. Lots. They are both slow though.

Like you did, it behooves a skipper to use his common sense when shooting at a ship. Most CL didn't have much as far as torpedo protection goes, so the target most likely would have had a 12-15 foot depth, impact pistol, set of torpedoes shot at it, except of course, in the first year of the war, or under Christie... - If CapnScurvy comes out of retirement and gives all an FotRSU OTC mod, then you will have the perfect RecMan, because it would be necessary for the mod to have such. Now, witness merc4ulfate below, and his haul on the last patrol... - he don't need no shteenking RecMan at ~all~...

I "destroyed" a five ship convoy one time with one torpedo and a couple of planes - getting credit for just the one, but similar to what you did, I hit a ship carrying ammunition apparently, and they were all running away from an airplane attack, so were basically bunched together, almost running into each other. So when the ammunition ship went up, the nearby small merchant was also annihilated, and actually sank first. The explosions also ignited a nearby tanker (avgas??), which blew sky-high, and severely damaged the nearby fast freighter and the other ship, which were then finished off with more planes, before I could get my boat turned... Gone in like 60 seconds...

It sounds like there are too many PBY at Strong Island, eh?... lol - we might have to twiddle with that in the future. That Yamato movement was one of several "historical" moves in the mod now, so you just ruined history, good sir!

We are back to testing the airplanes tomorrow. s7rikeback has been hard at work going through the entire Roster. We'll put them through the ringer testing, and hopefully get ourselves a new loading graphic and get this next release out, then add to what the planes have - maybe... but most of them will now no longer seemingly ignore your boat, unless they have nothing left to throw at you. They don't really "ignore" you, but "fone home" and let others know that there is a sub in the area, which is why you sometimes do not see traffic. Also, a torpedo plane in v1 will do at least a 360° turn to scrub-off altitude to attack you, from about 6800-9200 yards out, depending upon if and when they see you. It might take them a while to come around again for the actual attack run. Then there is the radar reports you are getting - is it friendly, or is it enemy? If it's friendly, and happens to see one of the myriad Japanese submarines, or ships, on the surface, you might see the plane do some radical turns. They are "intelligent", remember?... which of course, is about as smart as I am... t'ain't very...
Ruined history?

I just came back from Eniwetok again ... 344,000 tonnes. DD, CA, CV, 2 Kongo and Yamato. DD chasing me about but due to poor weather and night time and going to 300 feet at flank then popping up 2000 yards away and firing again they haven't even got close with an ash can. There are not only Task Force in the Lagoon but outside it as well. 26 ships in one I counted.

It is like the Marianas Turkey shoot for submarines. Even when I miss I hit something lol.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-03-20, 10:49 PM   #319
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203

I opted for manual targeting system in the option settings and every time I load the game the auto targeting system is active again.

The settings in my documents/SH4/data/cfg are:
Gameplay settings cfg<.
[Current]
LimitedBatteries=true
LimitedCompressedAir=true
LimitedO2=true
LimitedFuel=true
RealisticRepairTime=true
ManualTargetingSystem=true
NoMapUpdate=false
RealisticSensors=true
DudTorpedoes=true
RealisticReload=true
NoEventCamera=false
NoExternalView=false
NoStabilizeView=true
MPShowPlayerNames=true
MPShowTorpedoes=true

[MiscSettings]
CurrentNation=American
MeasurementUnits=authentic

I don't know what to do. Is this a bug or is this mod ment to be played the auto targeting way?
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-20, 11:59 PM   #320
propbeanie

Which area of the mod are you using to change that setting Kongo Otto? When you start the game and choose the "Options" menu and do changes and save them there, those are for the Single Mission and Quick Patrols areas of the game. If you are going into the Career mode, once you are in the Captain's office at the desk, look to the left and click on the wooden radio console, and you'll get another set of Options for the Career section only. Strange thing you might notice, is that some of the options are the same as the Main Menu's Options settings, but, such is programming and gaming... Let us know asap please, if that's not what the issue is. Thanks

Old 01-04-20, 03:04 AM   #321
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Quote:
Which area of the mod are you using to change that setting Kongo Otto? When you start the game and choose the "Options" menu and do changes and save them there, those are for the Single Mission and Quick Patrols areas of the game. If you are going into the Career mode, once you are in the Captain's office at the desk, look to the left and click on the wooden radio console, and you'll get another set of Options for the Career section only. Strange thing you might notice, is that some of the options are the same as the Main Menu's Options settings, but, such is programming and gaming... Let us know asap please, if that's not what the issue is. Thanks

Thanks for the reply, propbeanie.
Yeah I did use the "Options" menue and not the Captains office, which would explain that. My bad, sorry.
Also I have another little problem, nothing really bad tho, when I plot a course and set time to 256 the boat follows the course but sometime when it has to change course it stops and goes to 0 knots.
I then go to 1x time and set speed agian to standard and go up to 256 again and it moves again.
Old 01-04-20, 12:04 PM   #322
propbeanie

That is an odd one... - What happens if you use 512x TC instead? How about 128x?? Does it do it every time in 256x TC? When you activated the mod, did you empty your Save folder, generally in "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" or similar, OS dependent? Do you use the LAA applet to set the bits on the SH4.exe file, to where Windows "knows" that SH4 is capable of addressing more than 4gig of RAM? Thanks.

In the meantime, nothing to be "sorry" for in this. It's just a game, and is rather recalcitrant in its relationship with us mere humans...

Old 01-04-20, 02:55 PM   #323
propbeanie

Here's a little "test" vid of airplanes, and the others tested thus far have performed as well as this. They "see" thinks now, and they attack things - sometimes too many times for their own good...

s7rikeback is trying another aspect that we hadn't considered before, and if it works, we will consider this issue completely resolved, though we will still need folks paying attention to all airplanes flying about their SH4 world in FotRSU, and letting us know how the next version does.

Old 01-04-20, 04:33 PM   #324
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo Otto View Post
Thanks for the reply, propbeanie.
Also I have another little problem, nothing really bad tho, when I plot a course and set time to 256 the boat follows the course but sometime when it has to change course it stops and goes to 0 knots.
I then go to 1x time and set speed agian to standard and go up to 256 again and it moves again.
Does that a lot in all versions of the game. Code issue, not related to FOTRS. Recommend plotting 90 degree or less turns for patrol pattern and not 350 degree or greater turns. Confuses path finding algorithm less.
Michael Wood is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 05:33 PM   #325
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Quote:
That is an odd one... - What happens if you use 512x TC instead? How about 128x?? Does it do it every time in 256x TC? When you activated the mod, did you empty your Save folder, generally in "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" or similar, OS dependent? Do you use the LAA applet to set the bits on the SH4.exe file, to where Windows "knows" that SH4 is capable of addressing more than 4gig of RAM? Thanks.

In the meantime, nothing to be "sorry" for in this. It's just a game, and is rather recalcitrant in its relationship with us mere humans...

Hi propbeanie.

I had a pristine installation of SH4 before I activated the mod and the SH4 folder in "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" was empty.Yes, I use LAA.

So far I could see that behavior in 256, 512 and 1024 but not in lesser TC settings. It follows the plotted course and when it changes course it does stop and goes down to zero knots, but it does not do it right from the start.
The strange behavior starts about after the fifth course change of a plotted course. Alternatively instead of setting tc to 1 and setting speed to standard, when I change view from the map (F5) to the bridge (F4) the boat starts to gain speed again. Then I can go back to the map and I can see the ship starting to follow the plotted course again.

Old 01-04-20, 05:35 PM   #326
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
Does that a lot in all versions of the game. Code issue, not related to FOTRS. Recommend plotting 90 degree or less turns for patrol pattern and not 350 degree or greater turns. Confuses path finding algorithm less.

Thanks for the info, will do so in the future.
Old 01-05-20, 08:12 PM   #327
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
In all my years of playing I have never once seen this happen. Yes I have had 350 degree course changes in my waypoints.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-05-20, 08:24 PM   #328
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Here's a little "test" vid of airplanes, and the others tested thus far have performed as well as this. They "see" thinks now, and they attack things - sometimes too many times for their own good...

s7rikeback is trying another aspect that we hadn't considered before, and if it works, we will consider this issue completely resolved, though we will still need folks paying attention to all airplanes flying about their SH4 world in FotRSU, and letting us know how the next version does.
Resolved?
So it looks like the AI fished its own ally and the american planes can not hit an object that isn't moving. Seriously messed up I'd say. Can the american planes be set higher as far as skill level such as elite. The american flyers were veterans or taught by veterans and I would think the AI skill level should reflect that.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-05-20, 09:39 PM   #329
Kongo Otto
Commodore

It might be nit picking, but right now I'm patrolling the Davao Gulf and all I see are US Tugs and Dutch freighters coming out of Davao.

Davao irl was captured by the Japanese at 20th December 1941 and I'm patrolling at 11th February 1942, there shouldn't be any kind of tugs or allied freighters even near the vicinity.

Old 01-06-20, 09:13 PM   #330
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Okinawa harbor traffic

propbeanie,

I've been on several patrols near Okinawa in late 1944 and the game begins to freeze up when I get to within 20NM of Okinawa. The closer I get the worse it freezes up. I suspect there is just too much traffic within the Okinawa harbor. Too many ships, too many planes, etc. too much for my game to handle. It doesn't crash, it just freezes up and stops. Assigned to deliver an agent to the shoreline east of Okinawa on the right hand side of the island. The game froze as we got close to land and to Okinawa harbor on the opposite side of the island.

I could almost say the same thing about Pearl, Midway and Brisbaine; but, at least the game doesn't freeze up there.

Just my opinion but some of this harbor traffic is too much & unnecessary, I rather have a smooth running game while I'm seeing less shipping inside the harbor.

Any way you could check into the harbor traffic within Okinawa? I think this one is over the top. Thanks.