SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-21-15, 07:12 AM   #826
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1919 - The German Navy, feeling betrayed by the terms of the Versailles Treaty, scuttles most of its ships interned at Great Britain's Scapa Flow Naval base in the Orkney Islands.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-15, 01:20 PM   #827
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

1611: English explorer Henry Hudson, his son and several other people are is set adrift in Hudson's Bay by mutineers aboard his ship Discovery; His fate is still unknown.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-15, 01:32 PM   #828
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1675 - Royal Greenwich Observatory established in England by Charles II.

Old 06-23-15, 01:13 AM   #829
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

1944-In one of the largest air strikes of the war, the U.S. Fifteenth Air Force sends 761 bombers against the oil refineries at Ploesti, Romania.

1952-The U.S. Air Force bombs power plants on Yalu River, Korea.
Old 06-23-15, 08:15 AM   #830
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1974 - 1st extraterrestrial message sent from Earth into space.

Old 06-23-15, 04:07 PM   #831
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

1314: During the First War of Scottish Independence the two-day battle of Bannockburn takes place. Exceptionally long for a medieval battle, Robert the Bruce is victorious over Edward II who flees the field. A complete rout following the departure of the king: Out of 16,000 infantrymen, this would give a total of about 11,000 killed. The English chronicler Thomas Walsingham gave the number of English men-at-arms who were killed as 700, while 500 more men-at-arms (nobles)were spared for ransom. The Scottish losses appear to have been comparatively light, with only two knights among those killed.
It's arguable whether the Battle of Bannockburn settled all that much.
Despite the outcome, Robert the Bruce had to wait another 14 years for the king's son, Edward III, to recognize him as the rightful king of an independent Scotland...he then died the next year.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 06-24-15, 06:49 AM   #832
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1509 - Henry VIII is crowned King of England in Westminster Abbey.

1812 - Napoleon Bonaparte's forces invade Russia crossing the Neman River.

2012 - Female athletes will be allowed to compete for Saudi Arabia at the Olympics for the first time.

Old 06-25-15, 09:21 AM   #833
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1876 - Battle of the Little Bighorn: 7th Cavalry under Lieutenant Colonel (sometime Brevet Major General) George Armstrong Custer wiped out by Sioux and Cheyenne, Custer killed.

1950 - Korean conflict begins; North Korea invades South Korea.

Old 06-25-15, 11:43 AM   #834
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Gold, myth, Budweiser, and a coverup-business as usual.

Considering that Custer's 1874 Black Hills expedition-with regimental band and photography wagon- and the discovery that some of the largest gold deposits in America were there; coupled with President Grant's option to murder native Americans in violation of treaty to lessen an economic depression, all led to the Gibbon/ Terry/Crook invasion of Sioux territory culminating in the the Battles of the Rosebud(Crook) and Little Bighorn(Custer's regiment of Terry's advance). This poster sold (and is available in reprint) more Budweiser beer than there was gold in them-thar hills. imho!) Besides not bringing the Gatling guns, Lt.Col. Custer also didn't have the 7th Cavalry's famous band or the photography wagon with him on the 1876 expedition to the Little Big Horn- the slowdown from added baggage might have saved his life....)Custer was probably doomed from a week before when Gen Crook's column was turned back at the Rosebud, 6/17, by a strong and determined large force of Sioux led by Crazy Horse. Crook did not report this defeat, or his decision to halt and return to his base at Ft Fetterman, to the other two columns of Terry and Gibbon. The Native American forces were better armed and certainly in practice with a new fighting style in massive force when Custer arrived a week later... The Terry/Gibbon column would unite and arrive two days later to bury the dead and turn reality into legend to cover the ineptitude of the generalship. The big plan gone awry:

Old 06-25-15, 02:03 PM   #835
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1876 - Battle of the Little Bighorn: 7th Cavalry under Lieutenant Colonel (sometime Brevet Major General) George Armstrong Custer wiped out by Sioux and Cheyenne, Custer killed.

Just for Ol George:

That is a depressing/miserable battlefield.
Old 06-25-15, 02:44 PM   #836
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

What really happened at he Little Big Horn! (it's U-Cranks Birthday) actually filmed near TLBH At his prior victory at the massacre of peaceful Arapaho and Cheyanne on the Washeta, 1868, "Custer did have the regimental band during the attack. As soon as "Charge!" was played the band did strike up "Gary Owen." But unlike Hollywood portrayals, the band played only halfway through the first stanza. The instruments froze up because of the bitter cold. Latter in the day when the command left the village area, the band played "I Will Be Glad to Get Out of the Wilderness". Major Elliot and his small scouting command were massacred on that occasion by Indians rushing from encampments all along the Washta.. Nine years later at TLBH, Ol' George, making several of the same mistakes as at the Washeta, became his own Major Elliot and had no band to give a toot!
Quote:
Indeed!

Old 06-26-15, 07:57 AM   #837
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Just for Ol George:

Most fitting Anze

I'll make your day Jason and let the typo stand

Last edited by Jimbuna; 06-26-15 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-26-15, 07:58 AM   #838
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1857 - The first 62 recipients are awarded the Victoria Cross for valour in the Crimean war by Queen Victoria.

Old 06-27-15, 04:54 AM   #839
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1950 - North Koreans troop reach Seoul, UN asks members to aid South Korea, Harry Truman orders Air Force & Navy into Korean conflict.

1967 - The world's first ATM is installed in Enfield, London.

Old 06-28-15, 07:13 AM   #840
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1838 - Coronation of Queen Victoria in Westminster Abbey, London.

1914 - Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria and his wife Sophie are assassinated in Sarajevo by young Serbian nationalist Gavrilo Princip at 10.45, the casus belli of WWI.

1919 - Treaty of Versailles, ending WW I and establishing the League of Nations, is signed in France.