SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-03-21, 01:36 PM   #3181
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
I don't use the gramophone at all. My windows (7) has been up to date since the they quit updating it.
i have to agree with mike, here. the gramophone is for when you are shore leave.

when we are on patrol, the crew is supposed to mind their station by keeping their eyes on the gauges and their ears in the headsets.

do you want to live? then pay attention to your job.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 04:03 PM   #3182
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Does that mean, no Skynyrd?...

or Marshall??!!!

Or even Benny???

don't pay attention to the out-of-sync vid... groove man..

and I suppose we'll have to leave the Miller 78s behind also?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 05:24 PM   #3183
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Does that mean, no Skynyrd?...

or Marshall??!!!

Or even Benny???

don't pay attention to the out-of-sync vid... groove man..

and I suppose we'll have to leave the Miller 78s behind also?
you've been watching too many Hollywood movies. you can listen to that stuff on your own time and not on Uncle Sam's time.
keep your eyes on the gauges, Mister PB.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 05-03-21 at 06:22 PM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 05:38 PM   #3184
propbeanie

One last one before we cast off then!

what's with Buffy in the upper left? def not me!!!

Oh! Another way to advertise! Oh boy! Who knows what ad you folks get to see there!... :hmm:

Old 05-03-21, 10:04 PM   #3185
Comder
Commander

Downloads: 83
Uploads: 0

Propbeanie,
Sorry sir. I did not know he was assigned first! LOL

Thank you for the info on windows. nice pick on songs. Till the next report, Thank you

Comder

Asus ROG Strix Scar G732LXS-XS99
I9 10th GEN, 32gb MEM, RX2080 8GB nvidia, 2TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Comder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 10:44 PM   #3186
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Default Guided missile attack?

Sailfish, ex-Fremantle, on 5/16/42 @ 0325 at a position 405 km, 50 degrees from the central wharf at Balikpapan received two reports within the same minute. The first was a single incoming air contact, later determined to be a Pete, which was coming from the NE at a distance greater than 17.5 km. The second report was of the boat taking damage, accompanied by the usual sounds. The actual damage was to the AA and deck guns; there was no hull damage nor casualties. The boat had been surfaced and static for the preceding two hours.

We submerged for a minute, then surfaced to scan for a possible second plane we'd missed: nothing, except for IDing the incoming Pete, which soon attacked and missed.

Prior to this session, I had started the game from the .exe in File Manager as always, but it had opened in a flashing, separate tab on the taskbar. I closed it out and restarted; this session opened normally.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 06:47 AM   #3187
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Thanks - and with Win7, you gon't get that "stutter" like some installs of Win10...

I had a thought about your question of are there background programs running. (sometimes my thoughts come slowly these days)
I said I don't have any, but it occurred to me that I do leave Outlook mail running, and it checks for new mail every ten minutes.
running FOTRSU 1.46 now with no gauge problems yet, but I think I'm going to try stopping the email while I play.
I may stop my calendar program too. It has been known to take over the screen, which 'kinda' says it's running.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 12:52 PM   #3188
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
Sailfish, ex-Fremantle, on 5/16/42 @ 0325 at a position 405 km, 50 degrees from the central wharf at Balikpapan received two reports within the same minute. The first was a single incoming air contact, later determined to be a Pete, which was coming from the NE at a distance greater than 17.5 km. The second report was of the boat taking damage, accompanied by the usual sounds. The actual damage was to the AA and deck guns; there was no hull damage nor casualties. The boat had been surfaced and static for the preceding two hours.

We submerged for a minute, then surfaced to scan for a possible second plane we'd missed: nothing, except for IDing the incoming Pete, which soon attacked and missed.

Prior to this session, I had started the game from the .exe in File Manager as always, but it had opened in a flashing, separate tab on the taskbar. I closed it out and restarted; this session opened normally.
I was submerged one time after a Betty attack, and after about 10 minutes, came up to PD to have a look around, then to radar depth and scanned around, with nothing found. Surfaced, and encountered a similar set of circumstances with a radar contact, bearing 40, long range, yet at the same time, we were taking damage, and I did hear the bullets ricocheting off the boat... CRASH DIVE!!! and then I went to the external camera, and sure enough, there was a Pete almost directly overhead... kind of scary, having a "blind spot" like that, to both visual and radar... the Betty was the radar contact about 8nm out, and they came on over to try and get their licks in also. As for the "minimized" SH4 that doesn't open, if you think about it next time, see if you don't have a 2nd session of SH4.exe running in the Task Manager. Another thing to look for is to make certain the "Disable fullscreen optimizations" is turned off, or has a checkmark in its box. You might have to do that High DPI thingie also... Windows tries to trip me up each time there is an update lately...

Quote:
I had a thought about your question of are there background programs running. (sometimes my thoughts come slowly these days)
I said I don't have any, but it occurred to me that I do leave Outlook mail running, and it checks for new mail every ten minutes.
running FOTRSU 1.46 now with no gauge problems yet, but I think I'm going to try stopping the email while I play.
I may stop my calendar program too. It has been known to take over the screen, which 'kinda' says it's running.
Both of those will "monentarily pause" the game as they do their things, and the Calendar might actually shell you out to Windows momentarily. Outlook used to do pop-ups on my old work machine with "You have mail! Message from Mike xxx concerning contract" kind of stuff. Windows Update the other day interrupted me while I was doing a "test", as it opened a CMD window, then went back into the game. The game was trashed from that, and I had just done a check on Update, and all was well. I should have left the sleeping dog lie...

Old 05-04-21, 04:32 PM   #3189
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Ahoy, mikesn9...

When you say, ''running FOTRSU 1.46 now with no gauge problems yet'', is that from say.. the last game save, your running.. or a whole fresh career there.?

M. M.

Old 05-04-21, 09:26 PM   #3190
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Quote:
We'll try to figure if that change was on purpose (doubtful) or just a leftover from a "copy edit"... Thank you very much for finding that.
Hi PB, how about the test on the intermixing of Salmon/Gato medwar conning tower? Do you find anything strange?
Recently I'm a little busy with work, Maybe after ten days I may have a test as well to see if there is really some purpose of this intermixing.
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 10:38 PM   #3191
propbeanie

I have been attempting to spreadsheet the towers and their R Nodes, as well as the equipment and other slots, and all I have managed to prove thus far, is what we had already suspected with surface radar not upgrading on certain boats because they don't have an upgraded conning tower that can accept the antenna mount... but I have added another bit of evidence to that proof in the R04 Nodes on the P_01 and related towers, which would be the Narwhal, Salmon & Sargo. If you get the 02 conning tower upgrade, no problem, you do get radar upgrades after that just fine... so, now, what to do about this info, and why did the devs use a slightly displaced R04 node (other than to fit the antenna - why not displace the antenna instead??), as opposed to the "regular" R01 node that all of the other boats use? So in that regard, I added another question to the original gauges investigation... lol - this also has a tendency to take the conning tower out of the equation for the stuck gauges, since the Tambor has a Gato-style Radar / Sonar set-up in its conning tower, not the P_01 type. Identical listings, in fact, just named for the Tambor instead of the Gato... This is where a boomer would come in handy... make a clean sheet of glass, and start all over...

Old 05-04-21, 11:26 PM   #3192
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Quote:
I have been attempting to spreadsheet the towers and their R Nodes, as well as the equipment and other slots, and all I have managed to prove thus far, is what we had already suspected with surface radar not upgrading on certain boats because they don't have an upgraded conning tower that can accept the antenna mount... but I have added another bit of evidence to that proof in the R04 Nodes on the P_01 and related towers, which would be the Narwhal, Salmon & Sargo. If you get the 02 conning tower upgrade, no problem, you do get radar upgrades after that just fine... so, now, what to do about this info, and why did the devs use a slightly displaced R04 node (other than to fit the antenna - why not displace the antenna instead??), as opposed to the "regular" R01 node that all of the other boats use? So in that regard, I added another question to the original gauges investigation... lol - this also has a tendency to take the conning tower out of the equation for the stuck gauges, since the Tambor has a Gato-style Radar / Sonar set-up in its conning tower, not the P_01 type. Identical listings, in fact, just named for the Tambor instead of the Gato... This is where a boomer would come in handy... make a clean sheet of glass, and start all over...
Good to hear that and great thanks for your reasearch.
Previously I checked the "Sensors_sub_US.dat" in Library and found there are many types of SJ radar mounts, which may cause problem easily. That's the drawback of the game itself. I agree with you that if the game only change the antenna, things will be be better.
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 08:46 AM   #3193
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ahoy, mikesn9...

When you say, ''running FOTRSU 1.46 now with no gauge problems yet'', is that from say.. the last game save, your running.. or a whole fresh career there.?

M. M.

I'm on my second patrol out of Pearl. Saved, etc, many times since the start of my career. As yet, I haven't been anywhere near the areas that I had the problem before. Time will tell.
not really anything to add here yet, we'll just hope it stays that way.
finishing up patrol 2, probably get some areas near Honshu on patrol 3.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 04:10 PM   #3194
Hikiieblitz
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 31
Default Crash on start of mission

Hello.

My game crashes when starting a mission in this version of the mod I don't get any notification saying whats wrong so I don't know what to do.

Is there someone who can help me?

thanks in advance.
Hikieblitz
Hikiieblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 05:10 PM   #3195
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

USS Sailfish, lost with all hands at the northern end of the Makassar Strait, mid-May 1942 during daylight hours, to an apparent guided missile attack from a presumed Betty coming in from the NE at a range greater than 13.5 km. We received the radar warning just as we were hit. The initial attack did only 9 points of hull damage (20 points cumulative) and affected the engine room only, but the flooding was unstoppable.

This is the second attack like this in the same area, though the first resulted in only minor damage (that game was abandoned; this is a fresh start from base). Depths are 1000 meters plus, so mines are very unlikely; there were no sonar contacts to suggest a possible submarine in the area. As we submerged, there were no visual contacts via the external camera. Later we heard the radar contact's apparently ineffectual attack (no increase in hull damage).

Also, should there have been any harbor traffic in Balikpapan?
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote